British Speedway Forum
Flappy

Peterborough Panthers 2023

26 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

In my view withdrawing & walking out of a meeting in the fashion that they did is about as disgusting as it gets. Riders "pootling aroiund at the back" is seriously wrong too but proving that riders are guilty of that is not so easy as they will always have a reason why it happened ie bike issues & unfortunately the sport isn't managed well enough to dispute any excuse riders mighjt use

I'm in no way attempting to defend Mr Holder's actions on the night in question.

However I will say that it is very easy to stand on the outside & say "It's OK to ride on" but if your the one that is about to ride on it & you feel it is unsafe & you do not wish to take the chance on any possible injury, Who then is to blame.

If the rider goes out & comes back unharmed it's easy to say with pride "See I said it was OK" but when it goes wrong & something bad happens where is Mr "It's OK"?

Holder made his statement that night Buster didn't like it but why would he step in the way of a move to the Panthers after many years

6 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Also possible that I could be wrong :D but in my head the main reason he packed it in was that night. 

Can't say I blame him in all honesty.

Was he suitable for the job? Dealing with riders, who can sometimes be bolshy, has to be an essential ability. Presumably K.Chapman appointed him and, had he not unfortunately been taken ill, may have needed to be removed from the position. All of that would have added up to "management failure" and been Mr Chapman's ultimate responsibility, wouldn't it?

I can only go by my personal experience reference Chris Holder, & I found him very friendly when he lived in Whittlesey a few doors from me. Got introduced to him, & every time I saw him after that, he always made an effort to speak to me, & wasn't big headed in the least. We even got him & Darcy in a pub in Whittlesey one night, & he was brilliant company as well.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

Having read the last few pages, if it was in most other businesses an employee (or self employed contractor) had been offered a deal, had accepted it and made all arrangements, had been measured for the company uniform and even received his uniform with his name on it - only to then find out that it wasn't going to happen, then for sure I wouldn't blame the person for going public!

Never been involved in the multi billion industry Construction then?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

31 minutes ago, Technik said:

I'm in no way attempting to defend Mr Holder's actions on the night in question.

However I will say that it is very easy to stand on the outside & say "It's OK to ride on" but if your the one that is about to ride on it & you feel it is unsafe & you do not wish to take the chance on any possible injury, Who then is to blame.

If the rider goes out & comes back unharmed it's easy to say with pride "See I said it was OK" but when it goes wrong & something bad happens where is Mr "It's OK"?

Holder made his statement that night Buster didn't like it but why would he step in the way of a move to the Panthers after many years

Perhaps because the failure in that scenario was actually Mr Chapman's, he knows it, and doesn't want Chris Holder back as an employee, who he failed to manage?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, foreverblue said:

I would say Batchelor has a reputation for not trying too hard in slightly damp conditions but not seen Noddy do it before, it wasn't anywhere near the conditions when he had his crash at Coventry, the track at Kings Lynn that night didn't look too bad at all.

However we are not riders!! Easy to cast judgement from the terraces. Maybe next time a rider is concerned Dave Jones can test it out and tell them if it is okay or not.:t:

9 minutes ago, Hamish McRaker said:

Perhaps because the failure in that scenario was actually Mr Chapman's, he knows it, and doesn't want Chris Holder back as an employee, who he failed to manage?

You are getting closer.I think it's fair to say Chapman doesn't want Holder back on his payroll but not for the reasons you suggest.:)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lisa-colette said:

However we are not riders!! Easy to cast judgement from the terraces. Maybe next time a rider is concerned Dave Jones can test it out and tell them if it is okay or not.:t:

Nothing to do with judging from the terraces , I have never stated whether the tracks were suitable or not.It's all about principles, but of course having been tutored about speedway by Mr Ford you wouldn't understand anything about those.

Edited by Dave Jones
grammar

7 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

He was the most talented/ best rider on show that night.. Ex World Champ. All the Poole team rode it. Be honest, he was sitting on the wrong side of the pits, and spat his dummy out when he got the chance. He didn't want to be there, and would of rode the same track that night if he was in the Poole team.

What he should of done is show Poole they were wrong to dump him over his average and do the best he could to repay Buster's faith in him and giving him a job. 

image.jpeg.a6e469f44e381bd5dcf78ec1ddaa4554.jpeg

• Like 6

Well Holder isn’t in so time to move on. So who IS the number 1? A few seem convinced Nicki Pedersen is that man, but Mick Bratley disagrees. Surely Mick would know better than anyone?

24 minutes ago, Bald Bloke said:

He was the most talented/ best rider on show that night.. Ex World Champ. All the Poole team rode it. Be honest, he was sitting on the wrong side of the pits, and spat his dummy out when he got the chance. He didn't want to be there, and would of rode the same track that night if he was in the Poole team.

What he should of done is show Poole they were wrong to dump him over his average and do the best he could to repay Buster's faith in him and giving him a job. 

image.jpeg.a6e469f44e381bd5dcf78ec1ddaa4554.jpeg

If I recall events correctly - no guarantee of that, I concede - was D.Allitt, someone with possibly limited previous experience, put into the team manager job after Rob Lyon, the previous and highly experienced incumbent, had stood down from that role? I think that may have been the case.

I think that Mr Lyon continued to be a Co-Promoter at King's Lynn until he resigned late in July 2017 (shortly following the "walkouts" of C.Holder and Batchelor), citing as his reasons his inability to give the position sufficient time, something which had been the case for several weeks, and possibly months.

I must admit to having no definite knowledge of Mr Allitt's credentials (at that time) and I hope he has recovered from his illness. However, I'm guessing his previous experience, certainly of managing international-level riders such as C.Holder, was limited.

In which case, during that season he would have expected to have been given support and supervision by his highly-experienced promoters, Messrs Lyon and Chapman. From his "resignation statement" of 26 July, it appears that Mr Lyon's ability to do that had probably been restricted. How much "hands-on" support had K.Chapman been giving to D. Allitt? I bet the answer to that is "not a lot"! (I seem to recall C.Holder, after being sacked, saying he rarely saw or spoke with K. Chapman). 

D.Allitt probably wasn't previously a professional speedway rider, was quite new to the job at that level, and maybe didn't get the assistance he would have needed - did that apply on the evening in question, or did Messrs Lyon and Chapman intervene in a timely fashion? Middleditch saw what was kicking off and acted accordingly, smart guy!

Taking a guess, I'd say that Dale Allitt was probably hung out to dry and had no chance of persuading Holder and Batchelor to change their minds. But I wasn't there in the pits.....

The Holder/ Batchelor incident at KL, contrasts strongly with Holders actions a few seasons previously at Belle Vue when the Poole team one of which was Holder lined up at the tapes willing to ride  when the meeting was on the brink of being called off  due to track conditions  which did not suit Poole..

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Aries said:

Well Holder isn’t in so time to move on. So who IS the number 1? A few seem convinced Nicki Pedersen is that man, but Mick Bratley disagrees. Surely Mick would know better than anyone?

I was sure it was Nicki P but Mick Bratley would 1 Million percent know for sure who the No.1 is so I'm not going to doubt him at all.

Artem Laguta to Peterborough rumours are starting to gather some pace on a couple of Speedway related facebook pages over the last 24 hours.

I must admit that it's a coincidence how Ipswich & Peterborough's team building has suffered delay after delay and now both clubs are on the verge of confirming a 1-7 in the same timeframe.

Edited by TTT
  • Haha 1

The new management whether owners or promoters have lost all credibility  over  this massive cock up  where once again fans treated with contempt

• Like 1