British Speedway Forum
SharpenRake

Glasgow v Poole/Plymouth Sunday 25 September 2022 - Semi-final Championship Play offs

52 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Prefer to think of it as everyone in Great Britain!

In every other way apart from sport I agree with England v Scotland is a tradition of trying to beat one another.

Glasgow haven't raced at home since August 5th and have injuries, I think we all know how this will go. The lopsided fixture list has made a bit of a mockery of British speedway this year and needs sorting badly (amongst many other things)for 2023.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Mike0310 said:

I think Poole May struggle against Glasgow  as cook,basso and Brennan are a better heat leader trio than king,worrall and Lawson the tigers reserves are better than Poole’s I have a feeling it could be an all Scottish final I hope not cmon Leicester you have another fan for a few weeks.

Personally i feel our heat leaders can compete on a level with the Glasgow heat leaders, Cook is now fit and back on form so that is a plus for Glasgow but unfortunately i think Hume is still injured and that could be a big issue, i believe zach Cook is the best reserve but we also have the worst reserve and our second strings have found form, even Kemp seems to be riding a little better judging by his form at Leicester last night .I think it is too close to call.

11 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Glasgow haven't raced at home since August 5th and have injuries, I think we all know how this will go. The lopsided fixture list has made a bit of a mockery of British speedway this year and needs sorting badly (amongst many other things)for 2023.

Just this year?

We could have started our season the first week in June and still accommodate the playoff next weekend. Be interesting to see if the crowd drops off, it'll have been 7 weeks since our last home meeting. Its very easy to lose interest, especially with the nights now becoming darker and colder.

• Like 1

Cookie looked very good today, Tom and Ben we know are going well. Hopefully at least put up a good fight

12 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

Well Cook is back now so only Ulrich and Danyon injured, I think they will have to cope without Ulrich as if he came back it usually takes him a few meetings to get back up to speed but I think they can cover his rides with r/r fairly well, Hume on the other is more difficult and would be a bigger miss in my view unless they can get a good guest. 

1 hour ago, foreverblue said:

Well Cook is back now so only Ulrich and Danyon injured, I think they will have to cope without Ulrich as if he came back it usually takes him a few meetings to get back up to speed but I think they can cover his rides with r/r fairly well, Hume on the other is more difficult and would be a bigger miss in my view unless they can get a good guest. 

You say 'only' those two but they are key men in what's been a solid team so far. However I think their inactivity is going to be the issue, if we are going to have Play Offs then the authorities need to make sure everyone is up to speed going into them.

8 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

You say 'only' those two but they are key men in what's been a solid team so far. However I think their inactivity is going to be the issue, if we are going to have Play Offs then the authorities need to make sure everyone is up to speed going into them.

Not really up to the authorities, surely it is up to the clubs to arrange their fixtures although in Glasgow's case if they rode there final meeting at Plymouth they would have ridden fairly recently. 

38 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Nothing stopping Glasgow from doing their leg of the jubilee final and Leicester wanted to do their leg a few weeks back. Glasgow have created this problem themselves it seems imo. 

3 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Nothing stopping Glasgow from doing their leg of the jubilee final and Leicester wanted to do their leg a few weeks back. Glasgow have created this problem themselves it seems imo. 

You obviously know all the reasons why these fixtures didn’t take place the way you are posting this information.?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Glasgow riders will have ridden many times since their last home meeting....

So it's not likely they will disadvantaged in any way...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mikebv said:

There have been practice sessions at Ashfield.

17 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

You obviously know all the reasons why these fixtures didn’t take place the way you are posting this information.?

Maybe not all the reasons! More the 'supposed' reasons. Dickson did say on twitter that Leicester offered two dates. 

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Not the same as having regular meetings on your own muckheap though.

I think Poole would probably have won anyway with everyone at full strength and having ridden regularly going into the Play Offs but it's not ideal for Leicester and Glasgow, fixtures need to be planned much better. Too many teams across all leagues have hardly ridden in August which is surely when you want to be having meetings! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foreverblue said:

Not really up to the authorities, surely it is up to the clubs to arrange their fixtures although in Glasgow's case if they rode there final meeting at Plymouth they would have ridden fairly recently. 

The authorities oversee they sport, they produce the original fixture list. They need to ensure matches are ridden when the weather is at its best and kids are off school and that we go into the Play Offs without massive gaps preceding them. IMHO.

• Like 3