British Speedway Forum

1 hour ago, heathen52 said:

Sad to see this happening but as an ex Greyhound trainer/owner I'm not at all surprised seeing how that Sport has evolved since covid, I would have thought the first place to call would be Wolverhampton racecourse see if they want the additional income that Speedway would bring.

That's ARC / entain as well

1 hour ago, heathen52 said:

Sad to see this happening but as an ex Greyhound trainer/owner I'm not at all surprised seeing how that Sport has evolved since covid, I would have thought the first place to call would be Wolverhampton racecourse see if they want the additional income that Speedway would bring.

As greyhound racing has apparently 'evolved since covid' maybe that message could be filtered down to Gaming International at Poole so that they could reintroduce it as part of their lease agreement  with the Council who own Poole  Stadium?

2 hours ago, FishersGate said:

I agree that clubs need to think long term now. Actually like Workington and Leicester building a track in a place that is almost untouchable for housing . Problem is starting everything and guaranteeing profit for the future. I fear clubs in cities are going to be faded out and clubs that are in low populated areas that will survive...just . Half the problem is not enough fans at the gate along with clubs having a lack of control with the stadium and its use..

The reduction of fans is the Sport’s/Promoters fault. For a sport/race  that is over in a minute/15 of racing… they sure make it complicated.

let’s be honest, you need to put a dirt track in a muddy field…. No one is looking to build a *Wembley..  I know access is needed & hoops to jump through… but still.

If you can’t make a noisy, dirty, fast, dangerous, colourful Sport a relative success, then I’d say there is little hope. I mean Darts for gods sake!!

Plus, until they sort the covering of tracks, who in their right mind will travel long or even short distances to attend when it is at the mercy of the weather and riders.

2 hours ago, Call me wolfie said:

I think the only viable way for speedway to continue in the midlands is a joint venture with a purpose built Speedway stadium which could be shared by Wolves, Birmingham and Cradley. I very much doubt any of us can afford to go it alone.

This should have been done ages ago, in all regions of the country. 

59 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

As greyhound racing has apparently 'evolved since covid' maybe that message could be filtered down to Gaming International at Poole so that they could reintroduce it as part of their lease agreement  with the Council who own Poole  Stadium?

It's hard to escape the feeling that the current arrangements at Poole might not hold together for much longer. Hopefully if push comes to shove then the local authority will try and protect the Pirates but I'm not holding my breath in today's climate 

Is Hednesford raceway still there? Any chance of fitting a speedway track in there? Any housing nearby?

1 hour ago, Skidder1 said:

Would never be enough greyhounds available to reintroduce racing skids,also it was previously the worst run greyhound track in the country and the major betting companies would be very wary of getting involved with poole dogs again

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Littleze said:

The reduction of fans is the Sport’s/Promoters fault. For a sport/race  that is over in a minute/15 of racing… they sure make it complicated.

let’s be honest, you need to put a dirt track in a muddy field…. No one is looking to build a *Wembley..  I know access is needed & hoops to jump through… but still.

If you can’t make a noisy, dirty, fast, dangerous, colourful Sport a relative success, then I’d say there is little hope. I mean Darts for gods sake!!

Plus, until they sort the covering of tracks, who in their right mind will travel long or even short distances to attend when it is at the mercy of the weather and riders.

There is no dount that if every track had just 5,000 (out of sometimes millions of people on their doorstep), and took circa £100,000 a match, 20 times a season, then they could pay a couple of hundred grand to the landlords per season which I am sure would be seen as something worthwhile to continue by said landlords..

The reality is that collectively the custodians have simply not been fit for purpose in putting the sport first before any self interest, and have never marketed the sport in any way shape or form professionally enough. Instead they have seen standing in a foyer of a supermarket with a table, or leaflet dropping car windscreens in car parks, as "promotion"..

Yet they have spent literally tens of millions on riders over the past couple of decades in particular...

And all to have what we have today...

Mind boggling..

Best wishes to Wolves fans..

Who is next? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, noaksey said:

Is Hednesford raceway still there? Any chance of fitting a speedway track in there? Any housing nearby?

It is still there. Been a few years since I went but a memory-refreshing glance at Google's satellite map indicates there isn't space for a speedway track. Houses nearby, as well, to the south and to the east.

3 minutes ago, Piotr Pyszny said:

It is still there. Been a few years since I went but a memory-refreshing glance at Google's satellite map indicates there isn't space for a speedway track. Houses nearby, as well, to the south and to the east.

Cheers. I recall it being a tarmac track but nothing else 

You've got to feel for Wolves fans, management and UK speedway.

My club Eastbourne is currently gone with the only hope to find an area to build a new stadium/track to race in..

The sport and many clubs are finding really hard times for various reasons, the only hope I have is the sport is so on its knees that we may see a massive reset..

We all live in hope because fundamentally it could be a good product.

• Like 2

Another sad day for the sport in this country. Fingers crossed a new stadium can be found and Wolves aren’t another lost club.

Terrible news but with greyhounds also in decline and most bets being online now instead of punters going to the track could this be to sell off the site for commercial use? I really hope this doesnt happen, if this goes ahead with Peterborough also under threat i think the sports had it in this country.