British Speedway Forum
lisa-colette

Poole Vs Glasgow 28/09/22 play off SF 1st leg

1 minute ago, Skidder1 said:

The BSN guys kept saying that Poole have a strong top 3!! So Glasgow don't then?! Jeez.

Definitely not tonight we didn’t.

1 minute ago, Skidder1 said:

The BSN guys kept saying that Poole have a strong top 3!! So Glasgow don't then?! Jeez.

It definitely looked like we wanted it more, Ben and Zach were amazing, Ben looked very quick

1 minute ago, iainb said:

Bigger fish to fry? Tell that to the Glasgow fans

I think most Glasgow fans probably realised that!!

1 minute ago, foreverblue said:

It definitely looked like we wanted it more, Ben and Zach were amazing, Ben looked very quick

Despite Ben having carb issues right before heat one.

• Like 1

Disappointing from Glasgow, Poole really up for it, while Brennan and Basso looked like they had Torun on their minds, Cook didn't look at all interested or Nicol. Starke showed some desire, but when a guest looks more interested than the rest of the team you're in trouble. Guess the Man Manager didn't get the best out of his riders?

I’m still scratching my head how a team with that top 3 can get beat by 30 points and that’s with Kemp only scoring 2 and Ablitt only scoring 2 as well bizarre, I think there maybe some major changes at Glasgow next year starting with the manager because the owners have put a hell of a lot of money in for what,  if there going to keep spending a fortune it might sound daft but they’d be better off going top league as it’s a nice track good links to fly in and out and they probably could get some good foreign riders as well.

• Like 1

Just now, Mike0310 said:

I’m still scratching my head how a team with that top 3 can get beat by 30 points and that’s with Kemp only scoring 2 and Ablitt only scoring 2 as well bizarre, I think there maybe some major changes at Glasgow next year starting with the manager because the owners have put a hell of a lot of money in for what,  if there going to keep spending a fortune it might sound daft but they’d be better off going top league as it’s a nice track good links to fly in and out and they probably could get some good foreign riders as well.

The manager's put a lot of money in too, how do you think he got the job

• Like 1

Just now, Mike0310 said:

The Faceenas said they wouldn't go Premiership until they had won the championship, although if they lose their local derbies with that other Scottish lot, who knows?!

25 minutes ago, r8gdp said:

Wouldn’t bother with the second leg save everyone the time effort and money lol

Glasgow still have to go back down to Plymouth yet! Ha ha.

1 minute ago, Bellers101 said:

Glasgow still have to go back down to Plymouth yet! Ha ha.

You mean the Plymouth 4 plus guests!!

Well I didn’t expect that. But Middlo spoke to the team on the track walk and said they had to hit them hard from heat one and so they did. In fact they didn’t let up all meeting and but for Danny Kings EF we would have had 62-63. Glasgow just couldn’t compete with out heat leaders and the Cooks. Even Nathan Ablitt got stuck in in heat 2 and superbly held off Starke to bring the house down.

I have to say I felt sorry for the Glasgow fans who had made the long trip down today. They were confident before the meeting. It’s a long way home. To say Glasgow didn’t have one rider who could compete with our team is so true. Basso got beaten up, Brennan just doesn’t have the ability, yet, to compete and only Cook showed some form, a win when it was all over. 

The Atmosphere was electric, the racing great, for Pirates fans of course, and the fat lady has cleared her voice and is bellowing.

Special mention to the Cooks. Ben unbeaten again and Zach with a career best paid 17. In the free meeting interviews, both said that all the Pirates wanted to ride and a few of the Glasgow riders were happy to continue. Ben Sid there was nothing wrong with the Glasgow track and it was a ridiculous call off. Think it all fired up the team who are on fire and three weeks on the bounce they have hit 60.

Next meeting in two weeks with the visit of Redcar in the KO Cup final.

Edited by Steve Shovlar
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

The Atmosphere was electric, the racing great, for Pirates fans of course, and the fat lady has cleared her voice and is bellowing.

The gating was great, the racing non existent. When Poole gated the races were strung out. When Glasgow gated the races were strung out. Goodnight Vienna as a contest by ht8.

• Like 2

I think the importance of a good manager is often overlooked. The best three over recent years have probably been Pete Adams, Rob Lyon and Middlo and they seem to share the ability to motivate without histrionics. Doc Bridgett was the same. Glasgow perhaps need to look at this to see whether a change would help them. They’ve been involved in three questionable call offs this year - all justified by them but not universally accepted - plus the debacle a few years back at Eastbourne. Would any of the four mentioned above have got themselves into such a lather?
The Tigers’ actions last weekend seem to have come back and bit them hard tonight, so maybe they need to learn to calm down a bit? I wonder if some of Glasgow’s riders were embarrassed by what happened so were maybe not on their A game? Poole on the other hand were more than ready for revenge after Sunday and  to exploit any weaknesses and boy, did they find them. 
With Brennan and Basso both riding in Poland on Friday night before racing back to Scotland on Saturday, the tie looks beyond Glasgow now. Of well, they’ve still got the Jubilee Cup finals

• Like 2

Oh dear poor Tigger's, can't see them turning this around, looks like the spiders got the trophy cabinet to themselves for another year !!!