British Speedway Forum

58 minutes ago, Phil The Ace said:

I wouldn’t say signing artem was a bad idea. At the time Brady was there and funding it. 

looking back now it’s a bad idea. 

Buster shouldn’t have agreed to honour certain contracts when he couldn’t afford to. 

also what’s happened to supporting your club through the good times and the bad times. 

Brady should not have walked mid season, he should of stayed until the end, no excuses.

I still stick to what I said on night one.

Brady and Buster have had a falling out, I think the family reasons is just a polite way of not airing the dirty laundry out in public.

It really is simple, You don't sign a world class very expensive talent like Laguta when you're planning to call it a day with a couple of weeks knowing full well that the owner (Buster) would be left in a position where he doesn't have financial resources to cover the overall costs. 

Buster would never have agreed to let Brady sign Laguta if he knew that Brady was planning to walk either because it's not how he operates.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Phil The Ace said:

I wouldn’t say signing artem was a bad idea. At the time Brady was there and funding it. 

looking back now it’s a bad idea. 

Buster shouldn’t have agreed to honour certain contracts when he couldn’t afford to. 

also what’s happened to supporting your club through the good times and the bad times. 

It's a two way street though mate. I'm not shelling out 22 quid plus petrol for a losing team and poor racing, and it seems many feel the same. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ch958 said:

will somebody please wake up and organise this sport in an affordable, credible way before its too late. 

You’re about 30yrs late with this comment.. but yes.

38 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

It's a two way street though mate. I'm not shelling out 22 quid plus petrol for a losing team and poor racing, and it seems many feel the same. 

I know it’s up to you if you go to watch the Stars or not , but if everyone has the same attitude as you there won’t be any speedway at Lynn at all. I realise we all want to see a winning team and decent racing, but while the club keeps going there’s hope for the future.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, mrss said:

I know it’s up to you if you go to watch the Stars or not , but if everyone has the same attitude as you there won’t be any speedway at Lynn at all. I realise we all want to see a winning team and decent racing, but while the club keeps going there’s hope for the future.

I agree with your sentiment 100% but you’d not go in a restaurant every week if the food wasn’t good just cus you don’t want the restaurant to close - winning team isn’t the be all and end all  for many all we want is  good close racing feeling like you been entertained value for money ( certainly not worth £22 ) and for me not being taken for granted that you’ll turn up each week with 0% effort from the promotion to make fans feel valued. 
I certainly don’t want any club to close least of all Kings Lynn . 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, TTT said:

Artem should've been released as soon as Brady stepped down.

Buster wouldn't even sign Tungate for Peterborough due to financial reasons therefore he was never going to have the resources to pay for Laguta without the clubs future being plunged into further doubt.

Thing is we don't know what is in the contract? 

1 hour ago, Bagpuss said:

What would you spend 22 quid plus petrol on? A winning team and poor racing? A losing team and great racing? You can't just support a team when they're winning and leave everybody else to support them when they're losing to keep that club alive for you to attend when they start winning again... that's just not right for me. 

As a follower of Leicester & Long Eaton (in the bad old days), I've had my fair share of losing.

Normally I'd agree with you but this seems to be pretty existential stuff for Lynn

Edited by iainb
  • Thanks 1

Just now, lisa-colette said:

Thing is we don't know what is in the contract? 

I wonder if this latest crisis is the way the KL promotion are going to announce to the Speedway world that Laguta won't be riding away matches?

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, mrss said:

This is the problem though - then if you’ve got to the point where you no longer want that or can justify it for the price being offered then that is the choice to make. You shouldn’t be expected to keep paying out money for something that you no longer enjoy. 

I’ve said many times, this is exactly the scenario I had at Somerset. I stopped paying to go every week and picked and chose before eventually practically missing every week. I was really sad when the team closed down but life goes on and you get over it. Even with hindsight that wouldn’t of changed anything I did with my level of support beforehand.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, mrss said:

This is a big catch 22 problem. If you go and except it then nothing will change and if you don't attend then club has no future. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, mrss said:

Sadly that is a view that doesn't cut it anymore..

The customers are never a reason a business fails...

Speedway in particular is an entity that has lived beyond its collective means for far too long, with seemingly no clear dynamic strategy or direction...

Fans have shown by walking away in their droves (whilst never being listened to as to why), to show that, for many, it doesn't really matter anymore if any particular track survives or not..

The Promoters, as a collective, are all culpable for the situation some clubs, and the sport in general, finds itself in...

Their disillusioned customers who no longer attend, but still keep close to the sport, are 100% not to blame...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

31 minutes ago, mrss said:

13 minutes ago, iainb said:

What would you spend 22 quid plus petrol on? A winning team and poor racing? A losing team and great racing? You can't just support a team when they're winning and leave everybody else to support them when they're losing to keep that club alive for you to attend when they start winning again... that's just not right for me. 

As a follower of Leicester & Long Eaton (in the bad old days), I've had my fair share of losing.

Normally I'd agree with you but this seems to be pretty existential stuff for Lynn

Either would do me.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, iainb said:

In the top flight King's Lynn & glory hunting isn't something that can be thrown at King's Lynn fans ever. 

Many on here have been fans for more than 30yrs & success isn't what is demanded. 

What is demanded though in 2023 is VFM. 

There's not 1 thing currently about King's Lynn (& Peterborough) that give anything back to the fans. 

Poor track, poor racing, poor team, poor food etc. Why should us not going feel guilty if the club closes?? 

I've always said it, I'll say it again & it's absolutely, without question, fact:

IT'S NEVER THE FANS FAULT IF A CLUB CLOSES.

It's on those running the clubs

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Either would do me.

7 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Sadly that is a view that doesn't cut it anymore..

The customers are never a reason a business fails...

Speedway in particular is an entity that has lived beyond its collective means for far too long, with seemingly no clear dynamic strategy or direction...

Fans have shown by walking away in their droves (whilst never being listened to as to why), to show that, for many, it doesn't really matter anymore if any particular track survives or not..

The Promoters, as a collective, are all culpable for the situation some clubs, and the sport in general, finds itself in...

Their disillusioned customers who no longer attend, but still keep close to the sport, are 100% not to blame...

It's alright to hold this view if you are prepared to kiss goodbye to speedway and not miss it.

I would say you shouldn't hold this position if you are planning on attending again once a team starts winning. 

Speedway changes the rules so often that a club is not in the doldrums for that long and things can change very quickly when the right people are in the right positions on both sides of the fence. 

You only have to look at clubs that have won things in any league in speedway and then compare that to other sports... the only serial winners in speedway had been Poole