British Speedway Forum

8 minutes ago, Falcon1983 said:

The press release is aimed at promoting fear among speedway fans and Lynn fans stating money problems i.e. over budget so i.e. we need all fans to attend to see us through the season

And but we will want to come to the tapes in 2024 i.e. give us your money and we'll give you hope

Buster is seeking special dispensation to allow for doubling IN not down or up but doubling IN the same division and nights either of his sides is not racing, he wants to be able to select a septet of the two

The reality tho is he needs to bin Laguta due to Artems polish club not allowing him to race in the UK, and just use Iversen as a permanent guest for the remainder of the season

Try and offload the club to someone who may keep lynn in a top flight championship or buster get someone in to help have a go at championship level 

That’s what Speedway clubs always do, put it on the fans, by promoting fear.. Cov, Lynn recently, Newcastle, Swindon.. blah blah blah.

seriously, what’s to lose.. a weekly tradition, you’ll soon find something else to replace it with, most others have. I’ve been attending since my Mum & Dad took me to Rye House when I was 6months old.. (obviously I was oblivious) we went every week, often to tracks of teams we didn’t support.

I didn’t have a car for a few yrs (late 20’s) I’m 51 now..  I went to Peterborough and took my then gf and my mum.. gf had never been & mum had not attended for years… I was early 30’s.. I ran up to see the track, crowd..I was a kid again.  I/we had a good night, but I soon realised it was amateurish.. C Horton was in charge at the time..  and it’s been a love/hate again ever since.. and then I went to Cardiff last year…with a mate who had never been there. I can’t even be arsed to explain what I thought of that day/night. 

i also had a letter published in the Speedway Star, years ago now.. saying the same s*it I and many others have been saying for years.. it’s effing boring & I bore myself with it.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, iainb said:

I get it... the whole sport is in a mess, seeing any club go out of business through non attendance surely can't be the answer though, not if you really want to see Speedway survive and flourish. 

We all have our own ideas on what should be done but unfortunately as none of us are club owners there's very little we can do about it short of some kind of fan petition/demonstration 

I have no idea what it involves or takes to run a Speedway Club or the logistics and finances it requires..  I have run/managed football clubs.. and regardless of the level… it takes time, and commitment, so I’m reluctant to dig out individuals, however… as a (presumably) collective it’s failure upon failure year in year out.. aided and abetted by the Speedway Star.. their cosy journalism* etc are complicit imo. Do they know any other word to describe a healthy crowd (it’s always BUMPER… I mean even that word is from the 70’s) 

i think you need to let it fail, otherwise you’re just saying… this is fine by me.

You can't put out mid table Championship teams at Premiership level and expect the fans to turn out in numbers just to see an uncompetitive team go 20-10 or 21-9 down after 6 heats almost every week.

Especially in these times when mortgages, household bills etc. are sky rocketing, You need to give the fans a reason to turn up, Come and watch our understrength team get battered isn't going to wash unless you want to reduce admission costs to £10 an Adult and kids for a £1, Fans may turn up then just for a night out.

But they won't be rushing to get in at £22+ other expenses per night to see the opposition cruise to 4-2's and 5-1's in almost every heat.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Littleze said:

I have no idea what it involves or takes to run a Speedway Club or the logistics and finances it requires..  I have run/managed football clubs.. and regardless of the level… it takes time, and commitment, so I’m reluctant to dig out individuals, however… as a (presumably) collective it’s failure upon failure year in year out.. aided and abetted by the Speedway Star.. their cosy journalism* etc are complicit imo. Do they know any other word to describe a healthy crowd (it’s always BUMPER… I mean even that word is from the 70’s) 

i think you need to let it fail, otherwise you’re just saying… this is fine by me.

For years now, speedway has been paying riders daft money and relying on TV money or sponsorship. Get it all back to basics with riders having 1 bike and a track spare, cut out the flash helmets and vans etc and make it sustainable and enjoyable. Yes it's going backwards to the 70s but you might just save it as a sport and it might reinvent itself with some modern thinking promotion. 

Get it down to 10 kwid or less to get in and let the money grabbers clear off to Poland. 

Rant over. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TTT said:

You can't put out mid table Championship teams at Premiership level and expect the fans to turn out in numbers just to see an uncompetitive team go 20-10 or 21-9 down after 6 heats almost every week.

Especially in these times when mortgages, household bills etc. are sky rocketing, You need to give the fans a reason to turn up, Come and watch our understrength team get battered isn't going to wash unless you want to reduce admission costs to £10 an Adult and kids for a £1, Fans may turn up then just for a night out.

But they won't be rushing to get in at £22+ other expenses per night to see the opposition cruise to 4-2's and 5-1's in almost every heat.

This King's Lynn side would batter 'top of the table' Oxford so I'm not sure it's right to call it a mid table Championship side. 

The 1-3-5 is closer but Oxford would be dominated at 2-4-6-7 positions

1. Sam Masters vs Artem Laguta 

2. Henry Atkins vs Kye Thomson

3. Lewis Kerr vs Michael Palm-Toft 

4. Jordan Jenkins vs Thomas Jorgensen 

5. Scott Nicholls vs Nicolai Klindt 

6. Cameron Heeps vs Simon Lambert

7. Ryan Kinsley vs Anders Rowe

Panthers have no promoter. So can't race on Monday.

2 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

I'd be interested to hear what BB thinks of all this as he was a big defender of Alex. 

I have posted all i can  say on here about the chats i have had with Alex. But i will say he has nothing to do with the goings on at Peterborough....

4 hours ago, Bald Bloke said:

Panthers have no promoter. So can't race on Monday.

That should save a few more quid.......:rolleyes:

9 hours ago, iainb said:

I get it... the whole sport is in a mess, seeing any club go out of business through non attendance surely can't be the answer though, not if you really want to see Speedway survive and flourish. 

We all have our own ideas on what should be done but unfortunately as none of us are club owners there's very little we can do about it short of some kind of fan petition/demonstration 

You only have to look at the apathy at Swindon to see how little it really means to so many of the followers of the sport..

The ludicrous operating model, and the lack of credibility, integrity, kudos, marketing, and professional administration, has created that apathy...

Basically. If something doesnt mean much to you, then you will hardly miss it when it is gone..

Too many fans can "take it or leave it", and that is 100% all down to those running it who have eroded that so vital emotional attachment.. 

And they have also made the sport probably (at least), 25% more expensive for fans than it should be..

And all done to ensure riders can remain fully professional in a sport that has semi pro level crowds...

And all done in individual splendid isolation, rather than as a collective, with no independent balance checker to see if all OK and on track..

And all done to achieve.... (?).....  

Sadly. It's a plaything for a select few that nowadays  means far too little for far too many of its followers..

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, Bald Bloke said:

I have posted all i can  say on here about the chats i have had with Alex. But i will say he has nothing to do with the goings on at Peterborough....

Without doubt Brady had serious personal reasons for walking away but he’s left the club in an almighty mess and can’t walk and take no responsibility for the aftermath.

Peterborough fans  was promised the world by a potential new owner who didn’t or hasn’t yet bought the club- then Carl Johnson walks away just as Brady has at Lynn there is two common denominators at both clubs . 
As for Mondays Stars v Panthers being cancelled doesn’t take much to figure out Buster 14 riders to pay instead of 7 with poor crowds and Laguta to pay I’d guess it be financial suicide to run without extra backing . 

Edited by Haza

It’s clear to me that Alex Brady( the successful estate agent)  made Buster an offer to buy the the club. Buster and Alex had a “different” view of the value of the club which led to Brady walking  away mid season diplomatically citing personal reasons. 

Buster is left with a wooden spoon club with a huge wage bill , two tractors a starting gate, and a stadium to stage a sport that is in terminal decline. He says he wants out….. but no one it seems will pay his asking price?

Some things are worth the money and you'll likely overpay, just look at people buying football clubs or players, Arsenal signing Rice for £100m if it doesn't work out someone would pay £60m still so he holds some form of value if he is exceptional then in 4 or 5 years time maybe someone will bid £200m as at some point tranfers fees will go even more crazy 

With speedway nobody will over pay for a club because there is no real way of generating income to excessive levels, limited tv money and no prize money, the value is minimal, only worth handing cash over if they get track equipment included

On a different note spoke to a customer on the phone yesterday from Leicester, mentioned I'm going up there for the speedway at the end of the month

His reply was speedway, not sure where that is but we have plenty of racing up here such as Donington Park lol  

8 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

This King's Lynn side would batter 'top of the table' Oxford so I'm not sure it's right to call it a mid table Championship side. 

The 1-3-5 is closer but Oxford would be dominated at 2-4-6-7 positions

1. Sam Masters vs Artem Laguta 

2. Henry Atkins vs Kye Thomson

3. Lewis Kerr vs Michael Palm-Toft 

4. Jordan Jenkins vs Thomas Jorgensen 

5. Scott Nicholls vs Nicolai Klindt 

6. Cameron Heeps vs Simon Lambert

7. Ryan Kinsley vs Anders Rowe

I think Oxford could beat KL at home but would loose on aggregate. Cheetahs strong at 3 and 5, and while Stars have the advantage at 2,4 & 6, they are hardly overwhelming (for example in the recent Oxford/Berwick fixtures Jenkins outscored Jorgensen 12 to 9). 

Peter Lynn Pant stars has a ring about it...

I feel sorry for PL CEO Phil Morris who seems to have inherited a poison chalice. With the progress being made this season, Phil might find he will be CEO of a league of 3 next season ??

The analogy with a football club valuation just doesn’t work because the riders have no real ££ value given the flaky contracts on which they are employed. They are only contracted from season to season, with no guarantee that they might just go to Poland ….. or retire …….