British Speedway Forum
TTT

Sheffield vs. Belle Vue Grand Final 2nd Leg 13/10/22

7 minutes ago, Trevor said:

Can I bang the drum for an idea I have had some time. The team that finishes top of the league deserves recognition for that achievement. So they should be given a 'League Winners Shield', although the Play Offs should still decide the overall Champions.  It would cost little, but be consolation in a situation such as Sheffield who top the league, but fail in the Play Offs. If a team tops the league and wins the Play Offs, they get two trophies. It happens in Rugby League, and seems to not detract from the Grand Final.

We dont know who will finish top yet, could be Ipswich 

3 minutes ago, PhilTheAce said:

We dont know who will finish top yet, could be Ips

Then they should have it. It just means two sets of local media can have pictures of a team holding a trophy.

Edited by Trevor
typed in wrong box

Having just watched the highlights from last night due to being there, and reading some comments including some by a rider about alleged dodgy refereeing decisions I have to say she got them spot on. The presentation by Eurosport was poor, as they did not capture the  atmosphere and it seemed a bit flat.

1 hour ago, spin king said:

Congratulations to Belle Vue in winning the Play Off Final.

The atmosphere on the night was electric, and credit has to be given to the Aces supporters who turned out in numbers.

Its a pity the camera's did not capture the atmosphere, as I can tell you the atmosphere was there.

The Aces supporters celebrated Polish style with smoke bombs and flares, which I did not mind apart from the smell, which smelt like dog rubbish.

The referee decisions were in my opinion mostly correct after looking at the replays on the phone.

I think Belle Vue came into the meeting to simply defend the 12 point lead and frustrate the Tigers, and we were chasing the in the meeting all night.

But cannot fault our riders who put in 100% effort, but the Aces were just to good for us over the two legged final, and the signing of Robert Lambert as I suspected swung the advantage to Belle Vue.

We now move onto the League Cup Final as consolation winning silverware against Kings Lynn so we are still in with a chance of winning something.

Finally for me the Play Off's should stay, the tension and excitement that they create means they should stay.    

Post of the year.  Incredible sportsmanship, and I know how much it hurts, but to lose and be this gracious will make it all the better when you eventually win the top flight title, which you will.  Huge respect. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, geoff100 said:

We will never know but would the ref have come to same decisions without the tv replays? Ht 3 clear case of all 4 back i think like others brady knew what he was doing in falling and then going wide next time,dont like this " block pass " tv remark.

The block pass thing gets plenty of mentions on Moto GP as well 

2 hours ago, Ace no.5 said:

Gate 3 last night...
Heat 1 Holder 2' thanks to Brady exc.
Heat 2 S Lambert 0
Heat 3 Ellis Exc
Heat 4 Musielak 2
Heat 5 Kurtz 1' from the back.
Heat 6 Kerr 0
Heat 7 Brennan 0
Heat 8 Blodorn 0
Heat 9 Blodorn 1
Heat 10 Zagar 0
Heat 11 Sedgmen 1 thanks to Musielak exc.
Heat 12 Mountain 0
Heat 13 R Lambert 2 (thanks to Brady stopping the run of Holder - was at back)
Heat 14 Howarth 0
Heat 15 Kurtz 0

:blink:

That's pretty brutal. 

Why is gate 3 bad? 

Don't know but it wasn't much better last week. Wolves only scored 1 point from their 7 rides out of gate 3. Not particularly ideal almost making it a 3 man race...

As a neutral I found it entertaining but if I’d have been a fan of either team I’d have been annoyed with some of the decisions over the 2 meetings. The inclusion of Lambert is another debate and for me personally it should have been somebody who’d ridden here all season or at least bothered with the British final , not turning up on these shores once your meetings have dried up and it suits but like I say that’s just my personal take on that one.  Speedway in general seems hell bent on excluding riders, some racing incidents don’t always warrant an exclusion yet somebody has to be excluded? As paying public we want to see hard racing and fair racing, in these circumstances it would be great to see an option where the ref could put all 4 back In but it will never happen and we’d probably have about 7 re-runs per meeting and with curfew times it would be a nightmare but it really does annoy me when a great race stopped by a rut that’s fired a rider off the bike or close racing and somebody comes off. Sometimes exclusions are as clear as day but for a referee to have no option to put all 4 back in is one thing I’d certainly like to see changed, I mean where does the first bend bunching rule actually end? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ace no.5 said:

Gate 3 last night...
Heat 1 Holder 2' thanks to Brady exc.
Heat 2 S Lambert 0
Heat 3 Ellis Exc
Heat 4 Musielak 2
Heat 5 Kurtz 1' from the back.
Heat 6 Kerr 0
Heat 7 Brennan 0
Heat 8 Blodorn 0
Heat 9 Blodorn 1
Heat 10 Zagar 0
Heat 11 Sedgmen 1 thanks to Musielak exc.
Heat 12 Mountain 0
Heat 13 R Lambert 2 (thanks to Brady stopping the run of Holder - was at back)
Heat 14 Howarth 0
Heat 15 Kurtz 0

:blink:

Told you gate 3 is a graveyard at Owlerton 

2 hours ago, TheScotsman said:

That's pretty brutal. 

Why is gate 3 bad? 

Slick?

Lots of differing opinions on here. Lambert for fricke like for like or cheat etc  some say yes some say no. Was the ref right or was she wrong some say yes some say no.

Here's my opinion why Sheffield lost (in my opinion this is more like a fact ).If Sheffield's  number 1 and  G P star Jack Holder had put a shift in and rode like a heat leader at Belle vue any of the above would not have mattered because Sheffield would have walked it.

12 hours ago, spin king said:

The atmosphere on the night was electric, and credit has to be given to the Aces supporters who turned out in numbers.

Its a pity the camera's did not capture the atmosphere, as I can tell you the atmosphere was there.   

Personally I think the atmosphere did come across on the TV, Speedway under lights on a super fast track in a cup final and you could hear the cheers from the crowd when there were incidents and passes, how often can you say that with Speedway? I do have a 5.1 Dolby Atmos home cinema setup though... it doesn't always need Sweet Caroline being played for there to be an atmosphere

11 hours ago, PhilTheAce said:

We dont know who will finish top yet, could be Ipswich 

Maybe THREE trophies could be given out...?

The team that "wins the league" BEFORE the play offs gets one...

The team that actually "wins the league" in the play offs obviously will get one.. 

And the team that "wins the league"  AFTER the league has already been won (twice), gets one...

Would make a great end to the season and mean potentially 50% of all the teams can become "Champions".. 

A 'Win/Win' if you like...

Or a 'Win/Win/Win' in UK Speedways case.

They could even run a special 3 way "Ultimate Champions" play off before November with a leg of the final held at each track...

I am sure there wouldnt be an issue fitting the dates in as one team will obviously pull out, like seems to happen in 3 way finals....;):D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

40 minutes ago, iainb said:

Personally I think the atmosphere did come across on the TV, Speedway under lights on a super fast track in a cup final and you could hear the cheers from the crowd when there were incidents and passes, how often can you say that with Speedway? I do have a 5.1 Dolby Atmos home cinema setup though... it doesn't always need Sweet Caroline being played for there to be an atmosphere

I thought the heat 3 decision was wrong and should have been all 4 back but on reflection over the two meetings Sheffield didn't lose because of the referee, Holder and Howarth were to blame, Howarth was particularly poor at Sheffield and Holder seems to not be too clever at times and was outsmarted by Kurtz, you can't expect Kurtz not to fight for his position just because you are friends, it seemed obvious what Kurtz was going to do and Holder should have seen it coming. 

• Like 2