British Speedway Forum

18 minutes ago, JanAndersen said:

Sam was top of the rankings in both leagues at one point which yes makes a mockery of the situation however that’s where we are and the boys need to earn a crust. 

The whole averages situation needs reviewing it’s just dragging the sport down to a level where fans are treated as mushrooms.

3 hours ago, Pinny said:

Bickley is another one of those who as a junior was hyped up and mounted on top machinery against other riders who were on second hand bikes of a poorer standard. All well and good in the third tier but when you move up to the second and first tiers, most riders machinery is of a good standard and simply having elite equipment isn't enough.

Absolutely nothing against the lad but hyping these riders up is foolish - he is arguably the same level now as he was when he first joined the Championship a few years ago. Drew Kemp is another one.

Not sure about that, Kemp has just finished with his highest ever Championship average & did enough to keep Zach Cook at reserve. Granted Kemp's scoring slowed down after he left the reserve berth, but that happens to most riders!

3 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

Not sure about that, Kemp has just finished with his highest ever Championship average & did enough to keep Zach Cook at reserve. Granted Kemp's scoring slowed down after he left the reserve berth, but that happens to most riders!

Lot of people like to knock Kemp,granted he is no making rapid progress that some thought but he is still decent.Lots of youngsters never reach a level that fans had expected them to do.That’s the nature of the sport though it’s a hard game.The only thing I would say is young riders of today get paid a lot more the young riders in the past.

21 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Lot of people like to knock Kemp,granted he is no making rapid progress that some thought but he is still decent.Lots of youngsters never reach a level that fans had expected them to do.That’s the nature of the sport though it’s a hard game.The only thing I would say is young riders of today get paid a lot more the young riders in the past.

I think it’s that fans want to see him do better as they think he could be at the next level if he really pushed himself. I’m a bit like that; I never get the impression he’s that bothered. He might be perfectly happy where he is which is the important thing but he has the talent to push on like Brennan and Flint IMO. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, JanAndersen said:

I think it’s that fans want to see him do better as they think he could be at the next level if he really pushed himself. I’m a bit like that; I never get the impression he’s that bothered. He might be perfectly happy where he is which is the important thing but he has the talent to push on like Brennan and Flint IMO. 

He is very “ hot and cold” in a meeting.He definitely has the skill and talent.

I think at the end of the day 'toughness ' is an underestimated part of speedway in some ways. Brennen especially with a couple of early bad injuries came back stronger where Kemp who initially looked to have more talent on a bike doesn't seemed to have made the gains, maybe not as tough. Occasionally you get the combination of both and they go all the way like Dan Bewley, of the current crop Brennen is at the balance point,  fingers crossed he can be the next Dan.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, JanAndersen said:

Despite the success Drew has had with U19 and U21, and some of world meetings with Brennan and Bewley, it really is a mystery that in league matches he performs so poorly. Might be the bike, but I tend to think like you that sometimes he can't really be bothered.

1 hour ago, Tsunami said:

Despite the success Drew has had with U19 and U21, and some of world meetings with Brennan and Bewley, it really is a mystery that in league matches he performs so poorly. Might be the bike, but I tend to think like you that sometimes he can't really be bothered.

Wonder if he got it in his head that he could just cruise through after his successful youth days. Even the best have to work harder than nearly everyone else.

3 minutes ago, JCookie said:

Wonder if he got it in his head that he could just cruise through after his successful youth days. Even the best have to work harder than nearly everyone else.

I just hope he can fix it as he is truly a great rider like when he has been for GB. 

1 hour ago, Tsunami said:

Hmm, don't agree. For one thing his average went up over 2 points for Poole from beginning of the season to about half way through. So how is that performing poorly?!

Though form wasn't the best last couple of months of the season but he just used to take first couple of rides to get going and nine times out of ten would win H14. 

I have see him get double figures at Poole and also get zero (once!) but I never thought it was because he couldn't be bothered! 

34 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Hmm, don't agree. For one thing his average went up over 2 points for Poole from beginning of the season to about half way through. So how is that performing poorly?!

Though form wasn't the best last couple of months of the season but he just used to take first couple of rides to get going and nine times out of ten would win H14. 

I have see him get double figures at Poole and also get zero (once!) but I never thought it was because he couldn't be bothered! 

Yeah he's certainly earned his average this season. But he's in the awkward position where you're not sure if he will up it or lower it. What he does need is stability and a track he loves and will be riding on it every week 

Edited by ASpeedwayfan
  • Like 1

How about?

Edinburgh  
Josh Pickering 8.92
Craig Cook 8.24
Justin Sedgmen 7.04
Cameron Heeps 4.33
Connor Bailey 4.32
Lasse Fredriksen 4.00
Kyle Bickley 3.00
Total 39.85
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, JCookie said:

Always gives me the impression that his image and the fact he gets ""seen as a speedway rider" are the most important things to him..

Maybe he is just overly laid back in his approach but to be like that (or appear that way), you really need to be a "winner" or you will face criticism..

To be fair to these young lads who come through, the third tier isn't the greatest barometer as to their true talent, and people can easily get carried away watching a 16/17 year old kid winning plenty of races at that level, and raise unfair expectations off the back of it..

The Polish U24 league provides a truer picture of where these lads are in relation to their peers..

And if you are not in at least the top five or so over there then you are going to struggle to reach anywhere near the top given how many "over 24's" race at the top level consistently each season..

If you cannot beat your peer age group at U24, then you dont have much hope of moving on to the highest level...

Be interesting to see how these young British lads progress next season given many are now "established" with quite considerable experience, therefore coming up to the stage where a season can pretty much define where they end up long term....

12 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

How about?

Edinburgh  
Josh Pickering 8.92
Craig Cook 8.24
Justin Sedgmen 7.04
Cameron Heeps 4.33
Connor Bailey 4.32
Lasse Fredriksen 4.00
Kyle Bickley 3.00
Total 39.85

Totally underwhelming.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Endeavour said:

Totally underwhelming.

Can't see that one coming to pass somehow - not even close probably.  Just as a wee observation - am beginning to feel a bit sorry for Ricky Wells i.e. cannot recall seeing a single mention of him in any of the teams suggested here or elsewhere.  His average looks to be 5.20 which is not quite in no mans land for team building I would have thought.  At present not quite the 7.00 plus Ricky of old but still "only" 31 y.o. and certainly capable of more than 5.20 as an experienced campaigner.  Maybe getting a home track that suits him well and we may see an upturn in form ?  Just a thought.