British Speedway Forum
Bojangles

Oxford Cheetahs 2023

9 hours ago, steve roberts said:

I remember the old Oxford Speedway Forum where the "debate" used to get quite "interesting "with one Poole supporter in particular...Steve Shovlar! However going on more recent posts he seems to have mellowed (may have something to do with his wings being clipped as regards his once beloved Tory Party over Brexit and "bonkers" Johnson?)

Or having a team he said he'd never support again if they dropped into the 2nd division.

• Haha 2

On 10/22/2022 at 12:22 PM, Tsunami said:

When I was was with the Diamonds, I used the figure of 63% of all admissions were full paying adults for planning and from analysis. 

That's a small percentage. I can remember a Swindon sponsor saying to me that 300/400 are non-payers.

Good luck to Oxford, and all clubs next season.If peeps are able to get off their keyboards and get out and support ya local tracks, then teams such as Newcastle wouldn't be closing. I will make the 35- mile trip up the A420 this year a few times, same as quite a few Robins fans.

1 minute ago, auntie doris said:

That's a small percentage. I can remember a Swindon sponsor saying to me that 300/400 are non-payers.

Good luck to Oxford, and all clubs next season.If peeps are able to get off their keyboards and get out and support ya local tracks, then teams such as Newcastle wouldn't be closing. I will make the 35- mile trip up the A420 this year a few times, same as quite a few Robins fans.

If folk were offered better VFM I'm sure they would. Let's see what they come up with for 2023.

23 hours ago, steve roberts said:

I remember the old Oxford Speedway Forum where the "debate" used to get quite "interesting "with one Poole supporter in particular...Steve Shovlar! However going on more recent posts he seems to have mellowed (may have something to do with his wings being clipped as regards his once beloved Tory Party over Brexit and "bonkers" Johnson?)

Some say he had phone trouble a while back and that's clipped his wings :nono:  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bagpuss said:

If folk were offered better VFM I'm sure they would. Let's see what they come up with for 2023.

Agree with you there, on my two trips to the Ox one exciting evening of racing v Glasgow, 2000 there, one borefest the Pairs, 3000 there, both hot evenings. Still think folks should be able to pay cash/card for entry on gate. Plus will fans interest wane if they have another poor season and the novelty wears off. Massive catchment area of millions. Good viewing if you're above air fence line and plenty of seats in grandstand unlike Swindon, which had poor viewing.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, auntie doris said:

Agree with you there, on my two trips to the Ox one exciting evening of racing v Glasgow, 2000 there, one borefest the Pairs, 3000 there, both hot evenings. Still think folks should be able to pay cash/card for entry on gate. Plus will fans interest wane if they have another poor season and the novelty wears off. Massive catchment area of millions. Good viewing if you're above air fence line and plenty of seats in grandstand unlike Swindon, which had poor viewing.

Yeah, I'm in west London, so it's the closest team to me now. Lovely to be able to see some live speedway again, so more than happy to travel down the M40 a few times a season. I'm sure there are others doing the same.

Think it was originally online only ticketing so they could control the crowd numbers while improvements we're still being made to the stadium. I heard somewhere on here that the greyhounds accept cash and card payments on the gate, so expect the same will be done at Oxford once the capacity expands - which I expect is now the case if there were 3,000 for the Pairs.

Agreed the novelty might wear off a little if they have another poor season, but, from what I remember Oxford was always pretty well supported. It wasn't a case of dwindling crowd numbers that caused them to close down, but the owners refusing to let them run.

Edited by Bojangles
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bojangles said:

Yeah, I'm in west London, so it's the closest team to me now. Lovely to be able to see some live speedway again, so more than happy to travel down the M40 a few times a season. I'm sure there are others doing the same.

Think it was originally online only ticketing so they could control the crowd numbers while improvements we're still being made to the stadium. I heard somewhere on hear that the greyhounds accept cash and card payments on the gate, so expect the same will be done at Oxford once the capacity expands - which I expect is now the case if there were 3,000 for the Pairs.

Agreed the novelty might wear off a little if they have another poor season, but, from what I remember Oxford was always pretty well supported. It wasn't a case of dwindling crowd numbers that caused them to close down, but the owners refusing to let them run.

I think they were allowed to expand capacity to 3000 for the Pairs event. Great that peeps from parts of London 40-50 miles away can support the venue. Must have same crowd potential as Belle Vue with their huge populations, you wonder how teams such as Berwick, Scunthorpe, and Lynn survive with their smaller populations. Made me laugh at the Pairs, you could only buy a programme with cash!!!

Swindon also had decent crowds but had similar problems and they closed.

38 minutes ago, Bojangles said:

Think it was originally online only ticketing so they could control the crowd numbers while improvements we're still being made to the stadium. I heard somewhere on here that the greyhounds accept cash and card payments on the gate, so expect the same will be done at Oxford once the capacity expands - which I expect is now the case if there were 3,000 for the Pairs.

Do you pay a booking fee for online at Oxford.?

25 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Do you pay a booking fee for online at Oxford.?

Yeah, £1 I think.

• Thanks 1

I do hope attendances hold up next season (and beyond). I certainly intend to go to more meetings next year. There are some faults with the place - it's not the best stadium for watching the sport and the tractor in the middle of the green  doesn't help and advanced purchasing of tickets is a pain. The  quality of the racing has generally  been pretty good. Things in its favour for me 1. the staff at the stadium have been welcoming and polite 2. the place is clean and tidy (and not all speedway stadia are 3. the fans have been friendly and I've had a pleasant chat with a number of them. Long may it continue and please try and get Bomber there next season!

The management have been doing a very good job and should be congratulated. I suggest they might like to contact the council about their proposed traffic scheme - it c could affect attendances.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, bluebee said:

I do hope attendances hold up next season (and beyond). I certainly intend to go to more meetings next year. There are some faults with the place - it's not the best stadium for watching the sport and the tractor in the middle of the green  doesn't help and advanced purchasing of tickets is a pain. The  quality of the racing has generally  been pretty good. Things in its favour for me 1. the staff at the stadium have been welcoming and polite 2. the place is clean and tidy (and not all speedway stadia are 3. the fans have been friendly and I've had a pleasant chat with a number of them. Long may it continue and please try and get Bomber there next season!

The management have been doing a very good job and should be congratulated. I suggest they might like to contact the council about their proposed traffic scheme - it c could affect attendances.

I found the top terrace on bend 3 is good view and you can take a chair in. Don't like watching behind glass grandstand.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluebee said:

In their wisdom the BSPA appear to want to downgrade the standard of the Product, whether that effects attendances remains to be seen in this financial situation that the Country is in.

2 hours ago, auntie doris said:

I found the top terrace on bend 3 is good view and you can take a chair in. Don't like watching behind glass grandstand.

Was always my vantage point!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, poole keith said:

Agree good set up,if practical the tractors etc cannot be left on centre green annoying inpairment to viewing

Bit of a mystery to me as the tractor for many years would be parked between bends three and four in the centre green and I never found it a problem.