British Speedway Forum
Bunce

Mildenhall v Leicester Double Header. Sunday 23rd October.

Having just seen the weather forecast for Sunday afternoon in East Anglia, I wonder if this double header will be a victim of the weather? The Met office has issued a yellow weather warning for the East of England, with the threat of thunderstorms, heavy rain, lightning and even hail unfortunately.

It seems ironic that we seem to go weeks without any action, then leave the important matches until late October when this type of weather is always a risk.

• Like 1

Have to ask just in case, we are looking for a texter for this meeting,  is there anyone who would be able to text updates to the Updates site please?

If so, could you please get in touch.

Thanks 

Hope this meeting is still on for referee has a long dirve to get there.

Predictably off.

So will it be staged at King's Lynn (or another neutral track) or do we get a November restaging (zombies have priority at West Row next weekend)?

• Confused 1

So Thursday night at 7.45pm it is. The latest start for a double header ever?!

Absolutely devastated for Mildenhall, the Lion Cubs and National League speedway in general that this is what it comes down to. Two great sides stacked with the best young British talent being shoehorned into a late October weeknight double header. If it gets postponed again to Sunday I'm there, but I just can't justify the 2 hours travel at this time of the season on a week night. This fixture should have been played out to a decent crowd on August bank holiday weekend. Appalling really, for Mildenhall especially as a standalone National League club, to have to wait until now to cram such an attractive fixture in - this should have been a slam dunk payday for the club.

• Like 1

Is there a curfew time at Mildenhall? If so, one serious hold up in the first meeting then the 2nd won't get completed and again the fans will get short changed.

30 minutes ago, JamieE said:

Absolutely devastated for Mildenhall, the Lion Cubs and National League speedway in general that this is what it comes down to. Two great sides stacked with the best young British talent being shoehorned into a late October weeknight double header. If it gets postponed again to Sunday I'm there, but I just can't justify the 2 hours travel at this time of the season on a week night. This fixture should have been played out to a decent crowd on August bank holiday weekend. Appalling really, for Mildenhall especially as a standalone National League club, to have to wait until now to cram such an attractive fixture in - this should have been a slam dunk payday for the club.

I don't think they can run it next Sunday as there is a two day Halloween Rave.

3 hours ago, JamieE said:

Mildenhall were the Club that were slow in completing their fixtures though.

• Like 2

Crazy start time for a mid week double header in late October on a track and level of racing thats notorious for delays!

Given that an average Mildenhall meeting takes 2hours on a good incident free day, this adds up to an 11.45pm finish on Thursday, which is not taking into account time to refresh the track inbetween! - Or I and I guess many others suspect, the 2nd meeting won't get started and the result for both finals will be counted on the one meeting!?

Understandable its the end of the season and the stadium has other events on this weekend but a midweek 7.45pm start time for a double header at NL will likely put quite a few off.

I'd suggest a large % of Mildenhalls regulars are retired persons who don't have to get up for work the next morning/don't have to rush back from work and its currently half term which may entice regulars with youngsters to attend so surely a 6.30pm start time could of been a more sensible start time. An earlier start time would also of been more favourable with the working age supporter I suspect?

I wondered the other week why the 2nd leg of Mildenhalls play off semi final against Berwick wasn't run the day after the 1st leg up in Berwick cause this would of put the club a week ahead with fixtures which could of avoided the need for a midweek meeting?

The latest meeting I've ever attended in the UK was the World U 21 final at King's Lynn a number of years back when crash after crash meant a meeting that started at 7.30pm finally ended at about 11.45pm-11.50pm by which time alot of the crowd had gone home! - And this was on a Saturday!

Don't like to be the perveyor of doom and gloom and I hope it works out well for the Mildenhall promotion and I'm proved wrong but I can't see where a 7.45pm start time on Thursday is going to end well in terms of attracting a viable crowd? 

Edited by 25yearfan
  • Like 1

Can’t see how there going to fit 2 meetings in with such a late start time, i think the second meeting will run until the result is assured, so probably you’ll get to see about a meeting & a half.

• Like 2

How can you expect anyone to stay for a meeting which starts about 9.45. 

What's the chances of this not even starting. 80% I'd say. What's the chance of not getting 15 heats in. 100% I'd say

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, rocket007 said:

Are they charging for a double header?

I think they are charging a tenner to get in then it's a £1 collection for each heat after the first meeting is done. Could be a bargain. :P

• Haha 1

On 10/24/2022 at 10:03 PM, Fromafar said:

Mildenhall were the Club that were slow in completing their fixtures though.

5 week's gap in May / June didn't help

• Like 1