British Speedway Forum
Monarchs2468

World Cup - Wroclaw July 2023

1 hour ago, tyler42 said:

So much for Allan and Stead, It took Woffinden to give up his place for Tom to  get a ride!! 

Didn't Tai disagree with Allen when asked about picks for 17-20? 

Bar the top 3 all of the others are of a very similar standard. You look at who rides for GB in these European team meetings held throughout the season and its always Brennan, Ellis, Harris,  Kemp and some of the other young kids, so I'm guessing and it is only a guess based on what Allen has said that the likes of Wright, Lawson, Worrall et al decline to ride in these meetings and rightly or wrongly or very much counts against them for selection for the big meetings

Edited by iainb
  • Like 3

I take it a tacsub  cannot be used in 17-20, otherwise why didn't the German's bring in Wolbert?  A reserve is allowed though like the Czechs did with Milik. 

If that's the case best rider has to be at reserve for the final

well whos your money on to qualify tomorrow, will the Aussies beat the Danes?

36 minutes ago, iainb said:

There's some real OTT reaction on here tonight for a meeting we won! People seem to have got it into their head that Woffinden gave Brennan his ride with absolutely no evidence to support this (that I'm aware of). The manager(s) surely made this decision.

Yes argue the toss over team selection, personally I wouldn't have selected Ellis but listening to Allen on a podcast the other day not all riders show as much willingness to ride for their country as some but I believe Adam Ellis must/does

Thats a poor excuse from Allen, nobody pays any attention to the other Mickey Mouse competitions. 

37 minutes ago, iainb said:

There's some real OTT reaction on here tonight for a meeting we won! People seem to have got it into their head that Woffinden gave Brennan his ride with absolutely no evidence to support this (that I'm aware of). The manager(s) surely made this decision.

Yes argue the toss over team selection, personally I wouldn't have selected Ellis but listening to Allen on a podcast the other day not all riders show as much willingness to ride for their country as some but I believe Adam Ellis must/does. 

Spot on.

The OTTness is probably no surprise when you see some of the people posting it. All things considered I thought Ellis and Brennan were the correct choices from the squad, whoever you bring in now is unlikely to do any better and Ellis has now had a meeting on the track, might be better to keep him in. I'd be sticking one of the big guns at reserve though. 

• Like 3

Face has to fit, doesn't matter who's best

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

It's not just about face fitting though it's about making yourself available for selection to ride for your country. Scott Nicholls was approached apparently but declined to carry out Tv duties... though was strangely absent tonight. 

I assume that the journeymen Brits have been offered GB team spots in the past to broaden their international experience but have also declined 

9 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

Clearly. Worrall rides in Poland every week and is a decent gater. Certainly a better bet than Ellis or Brennan. Brennan might be one for the future but has yet to show it. Lawson and Worrall normally have the beating of him most of the time. I think it’s a case of face fitting rather than common sense. Even Wright would be a better bet.

But it’s all too late now and we are in the final anyway. The chances of winning are extremely slim but we could get a medal with a bit of luck. Our top three are good. Just needed one more. Poland on the other hand are going to be nigh on impossible to beat on their home circuit. They have a plethora of talent they can use. Zmarzlik, Magik, Kubera, Dudek, Kolodziej, Cerniak, in fact their B team will be good enough. 

18 minutes ago, Gavan said:

Are you a troll or just blind stupid???

Lawson and Worrall are not riding at Poole and would do as bad as Ellis

Do us all a favour and shut up 

Gavlar, please do us us all a favour and and stop with this everything anti Poole. Ellis is out of his depth. Should never have been picked, Can’t understand why he was. Many riders with much higher averages. Harris, without doubt a much better option. 

• Haha 1

Of course it makes no difference now as the final is a much higher level and we don’t have a 4th rider to compete. If our top three bring their A Game, we could finish runners up. But the Aussie will have J Holder, Frick, Doyle and C Holder? 

8 minutes ago, Hodgy said:

Gavlar, please do us us all a favour and and stop with this everything anti Poole. Ellis is out of his depth. Should never have been picked, Can’t understand why he was. Many riders with much higher averages. Harris, without doubt a much better option. 

No thanks, his time has passed

39 minutes ago, DazS said:

well whos your money on to qualify tomorrow, will the Aussies beat the Danes?

I’ll say the Danes.

11 minutes ago, Hodgy said:

Nobody is a 'much better option', that's the point.

@iainb has it pretty much spot on, Adam Elllis and Tom Brennan (and Bomber for that matter) have always ridden for GB abroad. If the likes of Worrall, Lawson, Wright etc (who all have it far to comfy in the UK) have declined those opportunities then they cant moan about not being involved in the SWC.