British Speedway Forum
Gazc

CHAMPIONSHIP PLANS FOR ’23

14 hours ago, iainb said:

I agree... I'd slim the pay offs down to 3 though

It's not economically sufficient to run the "home" leg of your pay off final 2 hours away from where all your fans live

Agreed. Unfortunately two wrongs don’t make a right. 

4 hours ago, Falcon1983 said:

This is the issue and its not fans fault

Championship level fans are used to seeing a few bigger names in their sides, if they are removed you alienate that type of fan 

GB Speedway is just a travelling circus of the same riders racing each other on various nights of the Week for different Teams.That’s the Bottom line for me.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Fromafar said:

GB Speedway is just a travelling circus of the same riders racing each other on various nights of the Week for different Teams.That’s the Bottom line for me.

Not for me, have you not got your local team still?

15 hours ago, iainb said:

Not really commenting on a 36 point limit but with all due respect to the riders you've mentioned, I don't really think they are attractions. The last riders to put my bum on a seat were Tai Woffinden at the Peter Craven Memorial and Dan Bewley at the British Final

With all due respect I think they are attractions in the Championship BIG TIME, they're number ones!

If Prem/Championship are riding each other 4 times in a season, then why have 2 divisions? (unless I'm missing something?)

I'm guessing that there's not enough riders to make 16/17 teams ?

Solution:

Have a main body of 5 riders and each team have 2 reserves (with 3 reserve races in each meeting)?

Edited by GiveusaB

13 hours ago, ragdoll64 said:

All riders put my bum on a seat……..I am a speedway fan……..

3 hours ago, Trees said:

With all due respect I think they are attractions in the Championship BIG TIME, they're number ones!

Agreed! You're both right of course, this is a Championship thread after all. I think because I'm fortunate enough to be able to regularly attend Leicester & Peterborough, I am able to see a lot of Speedway (also being a fan) and the lines between the 2 leagues are quite blurred at the moment. I see the same riders turning out in both leagues and while Nick Morris (picked at random) may be a draw in the CL, he's probably not so much  a draw in the PL.

9 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Your 10 years behind with your comment on British riders.Plus NOBODYis going to pay £20 to watch NDL level speedway it’s £10 at present at most tracks and crowd levels are small.

Ps 

Its the Premiership that is that weak that it needs Championship level riders to even run.

Personally, I think I'd like to see the NDL done away with and all clubs should be required to run a 4/5 man team in a 8 or 9 race "2nd half" event.

18 minutes ago, iainb said:

Personally, I think I'd like to see the NDL done away with and all clubs should be required to run a 4/5 man team in a 8 or 9 race "2nd half" event.

The ndl before it got messed about with was a good league needs to go back to that instead of getting pushed aside for prem and champ.

There can't be second halfs 1-2 crashes it's game over then just look at so called prem junior thing from this season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iainb said:

Good idea if the main meeting went back to the old 13 Heat formula...which is/was the best IMO.

1 hour ago, iainb said:

Agreed! You're both right of course, this is a Championship thread after all. I think because I'm fortunate enough to be able to regularly attend Leicester & Peterborough, I am able to see a lot of Speedway (also being a fan) and the lines between the 2 leagues are quite blurred at the moment. I see the same riders turning out in both leagues and while Nick Morris (picked at random) may be a draw in the CL, he's probably not so much  a draw in the PL.

Quite blurred ianb?……totally blurred I would say. Agree with your point but they shouldn’t be trying to unblur it by weakening the Championship League and denying us the top riders we’re used to seeing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, ragdoll64 said:

Quite blurred ianb?……totally blurred I would say. Agree with your point but they shouldn’t be trying to unblur it by weakening the Championship League and denying us the top riders we’re used to seeing. 

Problem is the Premiership should be stronger, but Premiership clubs can't attract stronger riders. So if you want a distinction between the leagues, the only alternative is to weaken the Championship.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Bojangles said:

Problem is the Premiership should be stronger, but Premiership clubs can't attract stronger riders. So if you want a distinction between the leagues, the only alternative is to weaken the Championship.

Yes……but totally unfair on Championship fans. All points to the need for one league and I’m sure it could be made to work one way or another. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Bojangles said:

IMO that is the problem.1 League slightly weaker to start with would be my solution,but that’s just me.Opinions greatly vary on the subject.The people running the sport are not for change mainly because they don’t want the share any income generated by TV and Media IMO.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bojangles said:

If Premiership clubs can't attract stronger riders, what is the point of Polish Speedway relaxing their rider rules?

Prem clubs should increase their team building average up to say 46 points to attract some 'stronger riders' if they can be afforded and leave the Championship well alone at around 40-41 points!

• Haha 1