British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
auntie doris

Barry Duke

Good hour long chat with ex-Swindon Robin Barry in the Asda cafe in north Swindon today Some great stories about Fundin, Briggo, Mauger. Fundin was his favourite rider. Rode with Briggo at number 2 for Swindon at Wembley. against Lions. 4-2 in one heat, Briggs, Fundin, Duke. Said Pete Munday and Bernie Persson were very hard riders. Briggo aggressive, Mauger nice bloke. Was saying first went to a meeting at Swindon in 1962, Fundin, Briggs, Craven, Moore riding off 20 yard handicaps. Very bad injury in 1971 in Rhodesia affected career. Really nice guy.

Rescued a Blunsdon turnstile for the Speedway Museum at Paradise Park.

Edited by auntie doris
  • Like 7

18 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

Good hour long chat with ex-Swindon Robin Barry in the Asda cafe in north Swindon today Some great stories about Fundin, Briggo, Mauger. Fundin was his favourite rider. Rode with Briggo at number 2 for Swindon at Wembley. against Lions. 4-2 in one heat, Briggs, Fundin, Duke. Said Pete Munday and Bernie Persson were very hard riders. Briggo aggressive, Mauger nice bloke. Was saying first went to a meeting at Swindon in 1962, Fundin, Briggs, Craven, Moore riding off 20 yard handicaps. Career ending injury in 1971 in Rhodesia. Really nice guy.

Rescued a Blunsdon turnstile for the Speedway Museum at Paradise Park.

Great experience talking to an ex rider like that. I just about remember him at West Ham, but I don’t think he really settled to the big track there. Dis he say anything about his days as a Hammer?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, E I Addio said:

Great experience talking to an ex rider like that. I just about remember him at West Ham, but I don’t think he really settled to the big track there. Dis he say anything about his days as a Hammer?

Yes, he said he guested for the Ammers in 71 after the Lokeren tragedy. Was invited to the West Ham 50th. year reunion at the Speedway Museum this year, Briggo was there. It is great to talk to ex riders. Said Knutson more or less retired after his world title.

Edited by auntie doris
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, auntie doris said:

Yes, he said he guested for the Ammers in 71 after the Lokeren tragedy. Was invited to the West Ham 50th. year reunion at the Speedway Museum this year, Briggo was there. It is great to talk to ex riders. Said Knutson more or less retired after his world title.

Yes, I had a chat with him at the West Ham reunion this year. Always good to talk to.

• Like 1

Thank goodness Barry is still alive...when I saw the topic heading I feared it was to announce another passing!

Remember reading that it took a while for Bob Kilby to take a liking to him...Bob wasn't a fan of long hair apparently!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Thank goodness Barry is still alive...when I saw the topic heading I feared it was to announce another passing!

Remember reading that it took a while for Bob Kilby to take a liking to him...Bob wasn't a fan of long hair apparently!

He said none of the riders liked him at first, believing no rider should have long hair and a beard. He still has long hair in ponytail. 74 now and still playing competitive table tennis. Clive Hitch, just turned 80, and Martin Ashby not in best of health.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, norbold said:

Yes, I had a chat with him at the West Ham reunion this year. Always good to talk to.

Was Reg Luckhurst there?

1 hour ago, racers and royals said:

Yep- he even sang a song :)

Was he any better than before??? :rofl:

45 minutes ago, chunky said:

Was he any better than before??? :rofl:

36 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

I think Norbold will be able to answer that better than myself, as it was the first time i had heard him sing :)

He was just as good as always. B)

Is the speedway museum and wildlife park worth a trip to Hertfordshire?

6 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

Is the speedway museum and wildlife park worth a trip to Hertfordshire?

I would  definitely say yes, however i would go on a special events day- 2 i can find with dates in 2023.

12th Mar 2023 Celebration of Speedway
13th May 2023 Hackney Speedway Day

Edited by racers and royals
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, racers and royals said:

I would  definitely say yes, however i would go on a special events day- 2 i can find with dates in 2023.

12th Mar 2023 Celebration of Speedway
13th May 2023 Hackney Speedway Day

Cheers:t:

3 hours ago, norbold said:

He was just as good as always. B)

In the misty moonlight or Your cheatin' heart ?