British Speedway Forum
*JJ

Birmingham Brummies 2023

5 minutes ago, 4BM said:

If the Thompson’s were both taken out of the team and another 2.00 rider brought in (weakens reserves I know) what average would be left for a new rider in the top 5? Got to be around the 8 point mark?  That could open up some doors surely to go for a really top heavy side to compensate for 2 x 2.00 at reserve 

Not sure exactly...but approx 7.5 I think ?

52 minutes ago, 4BM said:

If the Thompson’s were both taken out of the team and another 2.00 rider brought in (weakens reserves I know) what average would be left for a new rider in the top 5? Got to be around the 8 point mark?  That could open up some doors surely to go for a really top heavy side to compensate for 2 x 2.00 at reserve 

But from what I'm reading Birmingham are struggling to get a crowd and lost money last year  who is gonna pay for a 7.5 rider ?? The team was built to a budget to survive,  now due to fans not supporting the team, now appears some supporters want to break the bank again !!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Neila said:

But from what I'm reading Birmingham are struggling to get a crowd and lost money last year  who is gonna pay for a 7.5 rider ?? The team was built to a budget to survive,  now due to fans not supporting the team, now appears some supporters want to break the bank again !!

3 hours ago, Neila said:

Think to budget will be well shot after signing Batch.

4 hours ago, Neila said:

When I have been to Birmingham, it was noticeable how large a percentage of the crowd "wore the club shop"..

Not large crowds in total, granted..

But it does suggest that a losing team could impact attendances quite a bit % wise if those fans in particular became disillusioned....

Many tracks have a fair % of fans who can just go along to watch the racing which can help them during a poor run of performances, as they turn up anyway..

It was also noticeable the age demographic of those in attendance proudly wearing their yellow and red, and, sadly, there will be other reasons as to their less regular visits too I would think as the years have gone by and continue to do so..

Certainly the "oldest" crowd I have seen at Speedway...

Although a few will run them close....;)

It does certainly seem like it has been a "hard sell" for all Birmingham Promoters after the "honeymoon period" ended after a few years of their return..

You cannot knock those currently in charge for their efforts though can you?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

Not sure exactly...but approx 7.5 I think ?

There is no harm in ambition but the changes that have to paid for and you fans need to support the promotion and team before it’s to. Late imo

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mikebv said:

When I have been to Birmingham, it was noticeable how large a percentage of the crowd "wore the club shop"..

Not large crowds in total, granted..

But it does suggest that a losing team could impact attendances quite a bit % wise if those fans in particular became disillusioned....

Many tracks have a fair % of fans who can just go along to watch the racing which can help them during a poor run of performances, as they turn up anyway..

It was also noticeable the age demographic of those in attendance proudly wearing their yellow and red, and, sadly, there will be other reasons as to their less regular visits too I would think as the years have gone by and continue to do so..

Certainly the "oldest" crowd I have seen at Speedway...

Although a few will run them close....;)

It does certainly seem like it has been a "hard sell" for all Birmingham Promoters after the "honeymoon period" ended after a few years of their return..

You cannot knock those currently in charge for their efforts though can you?

21 years away took its toll on the supporter demographic. 

From the official Twitter feed

" We can confirm that Dan Thompson’s 28-day period with the club has come to an end.

We would like to thank Dan for his efforts throughout his short spell at Perry Barr - and we hope to be in a position to issue supporters a team update in the next 48 hours."

• Thanks 1

looks like 2 new signings on the way ?

Very refreshing to see what the new manager is doing to 'improve' the team!

On 6/30/2023 at 5:23 PM, OGT said:

21 years away took its toll on the supporter demographic. 

And yet Oxford - 14 years away - have a youngish (by speedway's standards) age profile

1 hour ago, Brummies_Ste said:

From the official Twitter feed

" We can confirm that Dan Thompson’s 28-day period with the club has come to an end.

We would like to thank Dan for his efforts throughout his short spell at Perry Barr - and we hope to be in a position to issue supporters a team update in the next 48 hours."

Personally I think that's a massive shame, what did Dan get? Like 2 matches to prove himself?

13 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

Personally I think that's a massive shame, what did Dan get? Like 2 matches to prove himself?

I don't think it would have anything to do with Dan's efforts....I would assume that it's all about juggling averages etc....

Besides, Dan was only signed on a 28 day term....

The manager has been signed to improve team performances, not to develop riders. It's about time we had someone that shows a passion for the cause.

That's why Poole are so successful!

Edited by GiveusaB
  • Like 1

In a nutshell

Nigel has thrown a good couple of hundred K at it and has yet to see any real upturn in Crowds since Peter and David left.

Peter and David had lost a substantial sum and were worn out physically and mentally

A weak Team last year and a weaker one to start this off a slightly reduced budget meant losses were mounting.

Two options 

Stick - aim to survive until end of season and wait and see what future of Stadium is. Lose more each week.

Twist - bring in new Manager, at a cost, bring in new riders, at a cost, be brutal and aim for Play Off and hope that we are as strong then as we can be.

Hope that may be a Play Off semi or Final generate a couple of Crowds the like of which not seen for a fair while....by brummies standards that would be 1000+

Then pray that Stadium is available next year and a wave of enthusiasm generates a few hundred more to regularly come through the Gates.

ITS VERY BRAVE and Nigel should be given credit for it ; ITS VERY STUPID and he joins the list of newer Owners who have tried and failed on the basis that their model is NOT sustainable. The overall model is only sustainable for a few and Birmingham is no longer capable of supporting CL or PL level Speedway and NDL level is not viable given set Stadium Costs.

Whether it's brave OR stupid is the choice of any supporter to make, one thing you can't say is that Nigel isn't trying!

The competition though for diminishing "recreational disposable  income" is massive locally, Villa in Europe, Blues new multi billionaire Owners, Wolves and WBA selling high levels of ST's, Edbaston a sell out at any T20 and Test Match, other Sports vying for support and participation.

Nothing else to say really other than good luck nigel!

Edited by HGould
spelling

17 minutes ago, HGould said:

In a nutshell

Nigel has thrown a good couple of hundred K at it and has yet to see any real upturn in Crowds since Peter and David left.

Peter and David had lost a substantial sum and were worn out physically and mentally

A weak Team last year and a weaker one to start this off a slightly reduced budget meant losses were mounting.

Two options 

Stick - aim to survive until end of season and wait and see what future of Stadium is. Lose more each week.

Twist - bring in new Manager, at a cost, bring in new riders, at a cost, be brutal and aim for Play Off and hope that we are as strong then as we can be.

Hope that may be a Play Off semi or Final generate a couple of Crowds the like of which not seen for a fair while....by brummies standards that would be 1000+

Then pray that Stadium is available next year and a wave of enthusiasm generates a few hundred more to regularly come through the Gates.

ITS VERY BRAVE and Nigel should be given credit for it ; ITS VERY STUPID and he joins the list of newer Owners who have tried and failed on the basis that their model is NOT sustainable. The overall model is only sustainable for a few and Birmingham is no longer capable of supporting CL or PL level Speedway and NDL level is not viable given set Stadium Costs.

Whether it's brave OR stupid is the choice of any supporter to make, one thing you can't say is that Nigel isn't trying!

The competition though for diminishing "recreational disposable  income" is massive locally, Villa in Europe, Blues new multi billionaire Owners, Wolves and WBA selling high levels of ST's, Edbaston a sell out at any T20 and Test Match, other Sports vying for support and participation.

Nothing else to say really other than good luck nigel!

It wont help if you keep going to Oxford on a Wednesday :D

• Haha 1

On 6/28/2023 at 2:36 PM, GiveusaB said:

From B'ham forum...new averages from July 1st gives us 4.78 for a replacement for the injured J.T (out for 6 weeks and not likely to make much of an impact on return, based on previous performances...)

Paul Starke on 4.44 ???

:t: