British Speedway Forum

All in all more positives than negatives I’d say. The return to the aggregate points system will divide opinion but it’s a lot less convoluted than the system we’ve been using until now. Simplicity is generally best, easier to explain to fans who are new to the sport also. 

Silence on any changes or limiting to doubling up is concerning though. That’s the real evil in British Speedway. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, 40-38 said:

I like the idea of super heats for the aggregate bonus point or in ties in the cup for example but I do think a draw should just be a point each. I used to like the bonus point as I first came to speedway in 2006 so it was what I knew first! 

Top 4 playoffs out of 7 bit silly, should be leader through to final and 2 v 3 for last place. Same in both leagues, has to be a benefit to finishing top. The mini league in the championship for playoffs are ludicrous for that reason. 

Pairs over 3 rounds seems a bit low, could have made it 4 if 6 too long but I’m not overly exercised about that.

Super heat for draw

Super heat for aggregate tie

Here goes - both legs end 45-45

Super heat required - one team could then get 2 "match wins" and gain 4 points to opposition 0

Aggregate tie Super heat - the other side win it and get a point

Si we have the situation where 1 side "wins" both legas but doesn't get the aggregate bonus point......

Surprised they’ve carried on with the superheat where it obviously favours the home side, despite the away sides efforts to get a draw. I appreciate it gives the supporters there an extra race, but if that’s such a bonus, just have a 16 heat format, with 2 nominated races at the end…..

• Like 2

No mention of the Rev Limiters which were due to be trialed/brought in for the 2020 Covid season! :angry:

27 minutes ago, Gambo said:

No mention of the Rev Limiters which were due to be trialed/brought in for the 2020 Covid season! :angry:

Is that not down to the SCB who decide on the rules?

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, SSL84 said:

Is that not down to the SCB who decide on the rules?

No 8 chapters of the rule book are down to the BSPL

And it’s those 8 chapters which cause 99% of the problems.

Edited by bigcatdiary
  • Like 2

So it's now 6 rider teams in the Premiership.  Their announcement says it includes a Rising Star, not plus a rising star.  So, will the heat format be changing?

Or I've simply mis-read it but the RS list will make interesting reading again! :D

Edited by SPEEDY69

44 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

Or I've simply mis-read it but the RS list will make interesting reading again! :D

It's poorly worded... but IF they were to go to 6 man teams inc a RS (which I probably think they should) it would have been announced with great fanfare!

1 hour ago, SPEEDY69 said:

So it's now 6 rider teams in the Premiership.  Their announcement says it includes a Rising Star, not plus a rising star.  So, will the heat format be changing?

It could have been worded better but this means seven man teams to me.

POINTS LIMIT: 39.00 for six riders, teams to also include one Rising Star

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, iainb said:

It's poorly worded... but IF they were to go to 6 man teams inc a RS (which I probably think they should) it would have been announced with great fanfare!

6 man teams would take too many slots away for riders....

The vast majority of whom DU now "to make ends meet"....

And their income will already be hit given the CL have halved the amount of league fixtures from the original plan, so taking away 7 places out of the Premiership would be too much for some riders I would think.. 

I do think that 6 man teams in the top league would be an opportunity though, just as long as the standard is kept to a "good level", eg 42 points is 7 points per rider, which would give decent meetings...

39 points, and an RS, is an average of 6.5 a rider plus the RS, so not too bad a standard I would suggest...

The RS list will be interesting to see...

Who gains and who doesnt? :rolleyes:

19 minutes ago, mikebv said:

6 man teams would take too many slots away for riders....

The vast majority of whom DU now "to make ends meet"....

And their income will already be hit given the CL have halved the amount of league fixtures from the original plan, so taking away 7 places out of the Premiership would be too much for some riders I would think.. 

I do think that 6 man teams in the top league would be an opportunity though, just as long as the standard is kept to a "good level", eg 42 points is 7 points per rider, which would give decent meetings...

39 points, and an RS, is an average of 6.5 a rider plus the RS, so not too bad a standard I would suggest...

The RS list will be interesting to see...

Who gains and who doesnt? :rolleyes:

The decision to only go with 1 home 1 away is only going to increase DUing. If they were ever going to try and reduce DUing, which they need to, 6 man teams in PL and 2h2a in the CL was the way to start imo

• Like 1

Just seen that they are going back to the aggregate bonus point.

Speedway gives in to the grumpy old online whingers and does what it thinks that fans want.

The 3-2-1-0-1-2-3-4 scoring did the job perfectly and was relevant in every match rather than just a second leg.

Still, they'd already buggered that up, so I guess it doesn't really matter any more.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, iainb said:

The decision to only go with 1 home 1 away is only going to increase DUing. If they were ever going to try and reduce DUing, which they need to, 6 man teams in PL and 2h2a in the CL was the way to start imo

We’ve sadly reached a point where we have to have doubling up so riders don’t have to get a “proper” job on the side to keep racing. That says something. The sport needs to be semi-professional. It doesn’t owe the riders a living. Only those good enough to race full time should be doing so. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, SPEEDY69 said:

This is actually the biggest mistake of the AGM - the rider absences and guests last year turned into an absolute joke due to rider shortage. This was a problem at both levels but especially at Championship. With Leicester now moving up that seems to make the problem even worse at Premiership level though regardless of a few extra riders coming from the Polish league which were blocked before. That will not offer more options in the middle and lower ends of teams where teams needed it last season.

Going to 6 man teams would of freed up 16 team places in total and eased that problem. Guests should be blocked unless they are replacing a reserve (or in the Premiership scenario the squad member rising star is used - this should of been introduced at Championship level too) or if there are two riders missing from one side. They could then use RR and a guest. 

There would be less travel costs for promotors to pay out, less signing on fees, riders would be getting more rides every night so earning more money and there would be a greater source of rider availability. Lower costs for teams, riders earning more, less guests/riders missing, what is not to like?? 

Maybe I shouldn’t be surprised but I am dumbfounded that they have done absolutely nothing to ease or stop this problem.

• Like 4