British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

Gorzow GP Saturday 24th June 2023

53 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Speedway needs to stay in countries that have an interest in the sport like Poland, Sweden, GB etc. Why would you go to Amsterdam or Budapest if they have very little interest? 

Be like taking beach volleyball to the North Pole. 

I only mentioned Budapest because I fancy going there for a weekend break and having a GP there would double the excitement!

Seriously though, I am just toying with new ideas because something needs to be done.

Volleyball at the North Pole could be fun??

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

This year's SGP series is arguably missing two of the best three riders in the world, so it was always going to have a detrimental effect. Barring injury, it's already over imo...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, eric i said:

Lindgren is not young rider but I can't say I have seen any drop off in his form. 

Lindgren had some health issues related to post covid last year and a dip in his perfomance. However he has recovered. He is only 38 (in september) and nowadays riders continue to be in their prime well into their 40:s.

2 hours ago, iainb said:

That's something that has been lost since the final years of BSI/IMG and despite DSE's "new era" doesn't appear to be on the agenda anytime soon, just rinse and repeat every year

From what I'e heard or read speculations/rumours that might be some changes for next year, like only 2 gp in Poland, one at BV, none at Cardiff......

2 hours ago, spin king said:

Doyle 2nd and Lindgren 3rd in the standings so far, is incorrect.

At present 

1st Zmarzlik on 90 points

2nd Holder on 69 points

3rd Lindgren on 68 points

4th Doyle on 68 points

5th Madsen on 60 points

6th Lambert on 54 points

7th Vaculik on 51 points

8th Bewley on 49 points

9th Woffinden on 41 points

10th Fricke on 34 points

11th Janowski on 31 points

12th Thomsen ON 29 points

13th Michelsen on 28 points

14th Dudek on 28 points

15th Nilsson on 22 points

I stand corrected..

and whilst looking at the standings now I’m earth do people think Tai isnt deserving of a place in the GP

I think peoples opinions are clouded by the fact that he isn’t as good as he was….but he is more deserving of a place then any of the riders below him

2 hours ago, Gavan said:

I stand corrected..

and whilst looking at the standings now I’m earth do people think Tai isnt deserving of a place in the GP

I think peoples opinions are clouded by the fact that he isn’t as good as he was….but he is more deserving of a place then any of the riders below him

I don't think "clouded" is the correct term; they are "deluded"...

People say they want the "best riders in the world" in the GP's. Even allowing for Sayfutdinov and Laguta, Tai is STILL one of the top 11 riders in the world, not just the top 15...

2 hours ago, Ghostwalker said:

From what I'e heard or read speculations/rumours that might be some changes for next year, like only 2 gp in Poland, one at BV, none at Cardiff......

Zmarzlik will be petrified about a GP in Belle Vue. What did he drop, something like 1 point in 14 rides in SON 2021? :D

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Some riders might be able to nail Bartosz if they could get near enough.!!

If you watch Lambert ,a number off times he has more speed the the others down the straight but backs off.That’s the difference.

Zmarzlik has been beaten on a regular basis, this season, but due to a combination of skill, determination, and luck (often thanks to Doyle), has ended up increasing his lead. He IS beatable, but the same as riders like Funding, Mauger, and Rickardsson, he ends up winning.

10 minutes ago, chunky said:

Zmarzlik has been beaten on a regular basis, this season, but due to a combination of skill, determination, and luck (often thanks to Doyle), has ended up increasing his lead. He IS beatable, but the same as riders like Funding, Mauger, and Rickardsson, he ends up winning.

Obviously is beatable more this season than others,but due to the points system used in Gp’s he has learned to settled for dropping the odd point.He has matured and settled down a lot and a lot more controlled these days.Great skill and speed easily the most consistent rider in the GP’s and will take some beating in the Championship in the next few years.Great rider IMO.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fromafar said:

Obviously is beatable more this season than others,but due to the points system used in Gp’s he has learned to settled for dropping the odd point.He has matured and settled down a lot and a lot more controlled these days.Great skill and speed easily the most consistent rider in the GP’s and will take some beating in the Championship in the next few years.Great rider IMO.

What gets me is that people hate him for being good, and say he makes speedway boring by winning all the time. So, today's fans are only interested in the results, and the actual racing and on-track action aren't important?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, chunky said:

What gets me is that people hate him for being good, and say he makes speedway boring by winning all the time. So, today's fans are only interested in the results, and the actual racing and on-track action aren't important?

Have to agree,they were complaining all about slick track and lack of overtaking then Bartosz shows them how to do it.He’s just too good for them.Brilliant to watch.

1 minute ago, Fromafar said:

Have to agree,they were complaining all about slick track and lack of overtaking then Bartosz shows them how to do it.He’s just too good for them.Brilliant to watch.

Yeah. I was a die-hard Dons fan, but I would drive all over the country to watch speedway at different tracks. Results didn't matter to me; I just went to watch the racing...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Zmarzlik is in a class of his own, but who wants to watch him let the other riders go and then pick them off one by one like sitting ducks.

It is unfortunate that no one around can touch him, so it becomes boring and tedious to watch a GP.

As I stated earlier the crowd was well below previous GPs, WHY?

11 minutes ago, secsy1 said:

Zmarzlik is in a class of his own, but who wants to watch him let the other riders go and then pick them off one by one like sitting ducks.

Nobody. I'd much rather see a procession with no passing...

That's why everybody hated riders like Collins and Morton.

Edited by chunky

5 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

I'm not going to sit here and say that it was much better 15-20 years ago because it probably wasn't but the series is definitely lacking something at the moment. Knowing who the winner is going to be before the series starts is the main issue, not Zmarzlik's fault that he is miles ahead of anyone else but it removes all the jeopardy. Too many poor racetracks which to be fair has long been an issue but its frustrating that there are much better tracks not being used even if we all appreciate why. And probably a lack of characters and racers as mentioned. 

I don't think the series is boring just because Zmarzlik is winning. There are 17 heats he's not in but yet it's him that provides the real entertainment when he misses a gate.

In terms of pure speed, only Bewley comes close, but he's struggling with consistency & lacks that fearless ability that Zmarzlik has when behind.

We're desperate for all the other rider's to show more character, be harder 

• Like 1