British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Garry1603

Steve Casey RIP

Sadly, it was announced tonight that Steve Casey has passed away after a battle with cancer.

A wonderful man, a wonderful speedway FAN. After his riding career ended after spells at Ellesmere Port and Newport he returned to his spiritual home at Belle Vue where he performed a superb job as a presentation manager.

I was proud to know him when he worked with Allied Dunbar (along with Chris Morton) in the 90s, and used to love our chats at the NSS every meeting in recent years.

He always had time for people, and there's no greater compliment that I can give him. It's a lovely coincidence that he passed away as his team are finally the champions again.

RIP Steve. A speedway legend who will be missed by many. Thoughts are with his family and friends.

Edited by Garry1603
  • Like 7

Sad news indeed.

RIP

First met Steve Casey at Uxbridge in 1971, when he was riding in the cycle-speedway finals (against, among others, later Glasgow promoter Neil Grant) and again regularly at Belle Vue in the mid-eighties.

Always cheerful, always looking forward to the next challenge.   Last time was at the rain-ruined British Final last season, and I was pleased and proud to have him as a friend.

RIP

33 minutes ago, crescent girl said:

First met Steve Casey at Uxbridge in 1971, when he was riding in the cycle-speedway finals (against, among others, later Glasgow promoter Neil Grant) and again regularly at Belle Vue in the mid-eighties.

Always cheerful, always looking forward to the next challenge.   Last time was at the rain-ruined British Final last season, and I was pleased and proud to have him as a friend.

RIP

It was largely through your contact information that Steve and I made all 4 tracks of the 2015 Aussie championships. We also managed to have lunch in Mildura with Jason Lyons - where Steve ate kangaroo before he’d seen one! - and then hit the pub at night with speedway royalty: the Lyons, obviously, the Holders, the Woodwards and the Adams to name but a few. I ended up with wet trousers that night but that’s a story for another day……

PS The only mistake I think he made was asking Dave Hoggart rather than you to do centre green for Belle Vue’s 80th meeting. Better a jock than an yorkie :)

Edited by Gordon Pairman

6 hours ago, Gordon Pairman said:

I am truly devastated at the loss of Steve. He was my friend and travelling companion on several memorable domestic and overseas trips. He had no side to him but was a straightforward gentle gentleman. 

He worked tirelessly to get Peter Collins to come back to Belle Vue - and don’t believe PC’s propaganda, he was told he would always be welcomed at the NSS as would any ex-Belle Vue rider. What wasn’t on offer though was his demand, not request, that nearly 200 of his cronies, some who’d had no involvement with speedway let alone Belle Vue, also got in free. Steve tried many times to talk sense into PC, including going round to his house, but PC would not change his mind, possibly because he’d backed himself into a corner. 

Steve was never one for taking offence and went to the Glossop signing of PC’s book. Having paid his £20, PC scrawled in his copy “Steve, I will never forgive you for what you have done to me and my family. I will never go to BV if you are there.” Steve shared a photo of the inscription but then said to me that he’d enjoyed reading the book. That is the sort of man that Steve was and I hope that, although Steve will never be at BV again, neither will PC as he’ll be barred. I am not alone in knowing that I will never forgive PC for what he wrote.

Many men become world speedway champion, there’s one every year, but there will only ever be one Steve Casey.

I knew Steve’s cancer would take him sooner rather than later but am still stunned that we have lost him. The world is a much sadder place today.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Gordon Pairman said:

It was largely through your contact information that Steve and I made all 4 tracks of the 2015 Aussie championships. We also managed to have lunch in Mildura with Jason Lyons - where Steve ate kangaroo before he’d seen one! - and then hit the pub at night with speedway royalty: the Lyons, obviously, the Holders, the Woodwards and the Adams to name but a few. I ended up with wet trousers that night but that’s a story for another day……

PS The only mistake I think he made was asking Dave Hoggart rather than you to do centre green for Belle Vue’s 80th meeting. Better a jock than an yorkie :)

Really, really upsetting news, I owed him a great debt of gratitude when the 2008 financial crisis hit and I was made redundant he was able to help when all my funding partners gave me the cold shoulder. Despite my loss of appetite for the sport Steve was one of the guys I called from time to time to keep in touch, just awful news.

One of his best decisions he made was to put an English speaking presenter into the Belle Vue 80th Anniversary celebrations, somebody who was used to the open top bus life! ;)

Edited by Hoggy
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 1/26/2023 at 9:07 PM, Hoggy said:

Really, really upsetting news, I owed him a great debt of gratitude when the 2008 financial crisis hit and I was made redundant he was able to help when all my funding partners gave me the cold shoulder. Despite my loss of appetite for the sport Steve was one of the guys I called from time to time to keep in touch, just awful news.

One of his best decisions he made was to put an English speaking presenter into the Belle Vue 80th Anniversary celebrations, somebody who was used to the open top bus life! ;)

I hope to see u and hear u at workington this year hoggy,u and maxi made derwent park on sat nights the place to be .

On 1/26/2023 at 11:13 AM, Gordon Pairman said:

I am truly devastated at the loss of Steve. He was my friend and travelling companion on several memorable domestic and overseas trips. He had no side to him but was a straightforward gentle gentleman. 

He worked tirelessly to get Peter Collins to come back to Belle Vue - and don’t believe PC’s propaganda, he was told he would always be welcomed at the NSS as would any ex-Belle Vue rider. What wasn’t on offer though was his demand, not request, that nearly 200 of his cronies, some who’d had no involvement with speedway let alone Belle Vue, also got in free. Steve tried many times to talk sense into PC, including going round to his house, but PC would not change his mind, possibly because he’d backed himself into a corner. 

Steve was never one for taking offence and went to the Glossop signing of PC’s book. Having paid his £20, PC scrawled in his copy “Steve, I will never forgive you for what you have done to me and my family. I will never go to BV if you are there.” Steve shared a photo of the inscription but then said to me that he’d enjoyed reading the book. That is the sort of man that Steve was and I hope that, although Steve will never be at BV again, neither will PC as he’ll be barred. I am not alone in knowing that I will never forgive PC for what he wrote.

Many men become world speedway champion, there’s one every year, but there will only ever be one Steve Casey.

I knew Steve’s cancer would take him sooner rather than later but am still stunned that we have lost him. The world is a much sadder place today.

I never personally met Steve Casey but saw him in the pits at BV and now and then watching last season at Owlerton. I’m aware of PC daft issues about BV but I said on the other thread that what PC did on signing his book was disgraceful and many will feel PC has gone from hero to zero. You did right thing Mr Pairman making this public. What PC did is unforgivable and people should no what a bitter little man he is. 

Edited by Speedtiger
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, KevinBower said:

One of the saddest days of my life when Steve passed (Betty) last Wednesday. I've know Steve since I was 9 and he was 12. I feel a sense of loss that I would usually only associate with losing a family member. He always, always took the micky out of me as I did with him but underneath there was much love and respect. I saw Steve at Thameside Hospital last Saturday and he was still talking about beating his illness. If you look in the dictionary under zest for life, the first words say, " Steve Casey". He was the most positive person I have ever met. I have so many memories of time spent with Steve, time he spent with my family. We was the most sarcastic person I have ever met, he was naturally funny even though he wasn't trying to be. He always had plans, he never stood still, there was always something to plan or look forward to and he never gave up. 

He used to call me and say, I've got a problem Betty with my push bike or my car or that bloody lawnmower lol, then follow that up by saying, dont bother coming round because its unfixable, there is no one alive that can fix it, knowing full well that was a red rag to a bull for me. Round Ide go and we would both get stuck in and we always, always fixed or repaired whatever it was. 

Steve always got the good biscuits out when I went round for a brew and a catch up, ( well that's what he told me ) He was the most gentle, entertaining, strong, determined, placid, generous man I have ever met. I count myself privileged that he considered me as a friend. 

My heart goes out to his beautiful daughter Mia and his girlfriend Jackie at this time. He was one in a million and I will miss him until we next meet. 

A perfect summation of the man I remember .

• Like 1