British Speedway Forum
Wee Eck

Nora Speedway League

Interesting Facebook post this morning about a new league involving Isle of Wight, Sittingbourne, Plymouth and Cradley Heath which, being headlined as Nora will be run without BSPL involvement. 

• Like 2

I wonder where Cradley Heath will run their home meetings?

Poor ol' BSF & Speedway Updates administrators. They'll have whole new sections to create on their web sites for the new league :party::party::party:

11 minutes ago, iainb said:

I wonder where Cradley Heath will run their home meetings?

Article says home meetings to be run on the other participants tracks . So the reality is cradled ride away every meeting but classed at home on occasions. It's a start for the league though decent idea 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, uk_martin said:

Poor ol' BSF & Speedway Updates administrators. They'll have whole new sections to create on their web sites for the new league :party::party::party:

Perhaps they'll take a leaf out of the BSPL book and just ignore them :D

43 minutes ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

Looks like the same format as Scunthorpes ‘ British Amateur League ‘ but perhaps aimed at a slightly lower standard ?

Am I right in thinking that’s also run under NORA rather than SCB/ACU?

How will this effect a Rider's recourse to the Speedway Riders Benevolent Fund? If these Tracks are independent, and free of of official Speedway Promotors influence, would they still qualify?.

I think questions like thiis need to be asked. Insurance etc. too.

5 minutes ago, The White Knight said:

How will this effect a Rider's recourse to the Speedway Riders Benevolent Fund? If these Tracks are independent, and free of of official Speedway Promotors influence, would they still qualify?.

The subject of insurance was fully explained when IOW went to NORA. So with an expansion of tracks racing under NORA, insurance is still not a problem as riders will be covered in the same way they have for the past two seasons.

If anything I have said above is incorrect I am sure that the IOW promotion @barrybishopwill be on here very quickly to correct me.

I wish promotion, riders and fans all the best for 2023.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

The subject of insurance was fully explained when IOW went to NORA. So with an expansion of tracks racing under NORA, insurance is still not a problem as riders will be covered in the same way they have for the past two seasons.

If anything I have said above is incorrect I am sure that the IOW promotion @barrybishopwill be on here very quickly to correct me.

I wish promotion, riders and fans all the best for 2023.

Perfectly correct Chris - Nora's insurance was infact superior to the BSPL's NL with the exception of death when we did the analysis, and underwritten by the same company.  I would imagine when other stadiums that also run Nora events, Iwade, Lydd, Scunthorpe, Leicester, Kings Lynn, Redcar when for example Dirt Track Events race there or even their own series of racing the insurance has already been deemed as acceptable by those clubs too. 

For the last two season everything has worked fine with the insurances when needed and the general feedback by those that needed it was that it was swift and easy to claim (if it is ever easy to claim for such a thing). So we are happy with it, riders can also take out their own personal insurance with the Nora race license which comes in very competitively when compared to other licenses and insurance options.

All the best and thanks for the feedback.

Barry

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, The White Knight said:

Looking at the SRBF’s “objectives and aims” they refer to speedway riders contracted to a British club or riding for the Great British team. So a non contracted rider, whether that’s riding in amateur competitions or the Nora league, or any other similar events is not included, but a contracted rider is covered regardless of the event. 
That then would extend to any non-contracted rider riding in UK open events so, for example, the five then unattached riders who rode at Belle Vue’s Peter Craven Trophy last year would not, strictly speaking, have been eligible for support. Fortunately, that was never tested. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wee Eck said:

Looking at the SRBF’s “objectives and aims” they refer to speedway riders contracted to a British club or riding for the Great British team. So a non contracted rider, whether that’s riding in amateur competitions or the Nora league, or any other similar events is not included, but a contracted rider is covered regardless of the event. 
That then would extend to any non-contracted rider riding in UK open events so, for example, the five then unattached riders who rode at Belle Vue’s Peter Craven Trophy last year would not, strictly speaking, have been eligible for support. Fortunately, that was never tested. 

Incorrect. Any officially licensed rider competing in an ‘ official ‘ SCB controlled event is covered by their minimal insurance. Hence second half juniors are covered etc.

1 hour ago, Wee Eck said:

I think -- not stating anything as fact -- that, as the SRBF is funded by track collections, it is ready to assist a rider injured while riding on an ACU/SCB circuit.

A rider who is injured riding on a NORA track (and isn't contracted to a regular British club) could hardly be expected to draw assistance, if he (or she) suffers from such misfortune.

Maybe NORA could set up a Fund to help riders injured at any of their meetings?

2 hours ago, The White Knight said:

Insurance is all sorted by the organisers , as for the S.R.B.F. ……you would have to ask them, but my assumption would be you’re not competing in a S.C.B. controlled event so you may miss out on that benefit.

• Like 1