British Speedway Forum
Rob Dyer

Nora Speedway League - Sponsored by Nora 92

On 2/6/2023 at 12:57 PM, Diamonds85 said:

What level rider are we looking at for this NORA league? Ben Morley/Alfie Bowtell type as number 1s or Connor King/Chad Wirtzfeld types? I'm assuming there's gonna be a few 'new names' who don't ride in the NDL who take part in the NORA league, Andrew Appleton etc...? Be interesting to see when the teams are announced

IOW team looks to be just below NL standard. Dropping a heat leader to run with, 2 heat leaders, 2 second strings & 2 reserves?

Ben Morley (9.29)

Henry Atkins (7.24)

Rhys Naylor (4.52)

George Congreave (4.50)

Aaran Butcher (4.36)

Wayne Parker (3.00)

Edited by szkocjasid

Good to see the planned fixture list for IOW. It will be interesting when the dates for Iwade and Plymouth are published to see if both tracks are having as many NORA meetings as IOW or if it will just be the four league matches at those tracks.

So if Scunthorpes #4 brakes his leg playing football can I assume as it was not agreed with the SCB then Scunthorpe would not be allowed a facility?

So IOW and Cradley have now declared their six man teams.

Great to see that Mildenhall, Oxford, Birmingham, Edinburgh, Poole, Leicester, Berwick and Kent are endorsing the new league as they must have given permission for their team members to take part.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dickie Head said:

So IOW and Cradley have now declared their six man teams.

Great to see that Mildenhall, Oxford, Birmingham, Edinburgh, Poole, Leicester, Berwick and Kent are endorsing the new league as they must have given permission for their team members to take part.

Can you please elaborate details of Cradley team

8 minutes ago, secsy1 said:

Dugard, Coles, Watts, Spencer, Bowtell (don't know number 6)

Where can you access details of all the teams involved in the league and do they have websites or facebook sites for information regarding teams etc 

30 minutes ago, secsy1 said:

Where can you access details of all the teams involved in the league and do they have websites or facebook sites for information regarding teams etc 

On Facebook you can find information on

Wightlink Warriors Shale Track Racing Club Isle of Wight

ARH Heathens Shale Racing Team

I don't have any info on Plymouth or Iwade I'm afraid

54 minutes ago, secsy1 said:

Taken from the A.R.H Heathens Facebook pages:

Bowtell, Coles, Roynon, Spencer, Dugard, Watts.

7 hours ago, Sir Sidney said:

On Facebook you can find information on

Wightlink Warriors Shale Track Racing Club Isle of Wight

ARH Heathens Shale Racing Team

I don't have any info on Plymouth or Iwade I'm afraid

Thanks for the information it is appreciated.

Checked out the ARH Heathens Facebook pages, but does anyone know what or who are A.R.H. as cannot see what it refers to?

If it is a sponsor, then it tells you nothing but would like to know what or who it refers to.

11 hours ago, secsy1 said:

Thanks for the information it is appreciated.

Checked out the ARH Heathens Facebook pages, but does anyone know what or who are A.R.H. as cannot see what it refers to?

If it is a sponsor, then it tells you nothing but would like to know what or who it refers to.

Andy Hawthorne I would imagine

On 3/3/2023 at 9:37 AM, Sir Sidney said:

Andy Hawthorne I would imagine

Oh Sir Sidney, you're letting the side down. What does the 'R' stand for?

• Haha 1

On 2/18/2023 at 7:49 PM, Halifaxtiger said:

This is what the 7 February statement says  (I must admit I haven't read the Speedy Star article):

Competing at events held on non SCB Homologated (licenced) Tracks and / or events for which an SCB Event Permit has not been issued.

The SCB wishes to bring the following to the attention of all riders holding an SCB Riders Registration.

1. Personal Accident Insurance.
Your British Speedway Insurance cover is NOT valid at non SCB Permitted events and / or on non SCB Homologated tracks.
Riders are strongly advised to check the level of Personal Accident Cover provided by the organiser.
Additionally, riders should consider taking out an additional Personal Accident Insurance policy.

2. Injury at a non SCB Permitted Event and / or on a non SCB Homologated Track.
In the event of rider who holds an SCB Riders Registration sustaining any injury at either a non SCB Permitted Event and / or at a non SCB Homologated track, a ‘Fit to Return’ letter from a their doctor / consultant must be submitted to the SCB prior to resuming racing at an SCB Permitted event on an SCB Homologated track.

3. Speedway Riders Benevolent Fund.
In the event of any injury sustained at a non SCB Permitted Event and / or on a non SCB Homologated track, with the exception of whilst competing for ‘Team GB’ anywhere in the world, you will not be entitled to any funds or other benefits from the SRBF.

4. BSPL Riders Agreement.
Riders who have a BSPL Rider Agreement with a BSPL Promoter / Club must seek permission from their promoter / club prior to competing in non SCB Permitted Events and / or on non SCB Homologated tracks.

The first two seem pretty reasonable to me but the NORA advanced licence gives pretty decent cover :

Scunthorpe Raceway Licence & Memberhsip - NORA Motorsport (nora92.com)

The third one is extraordinarily petty (possibly even vicious) and appears to me to be outside of the stated aims of the fund :

'The Fund was registered as a Charity for the purpose of assisting British Speedway Racers, their dependants and family, following serious or life-changing Speedway related accidents' . There is nothing about SCB events only and the fund is a charity which is entirely independent of the SCB.

The fourth is not enforceable. If a rider is refused permission by the  BSPL, in my view that constitutes a clear case of restraint of trade which is illegal in relevant case law. 

I think your final point could be the very important one. Just how the new league is described ('speedway' or 'dirt track' ) might make all the difference. 

Reference the recent serious injury to Jack Thomas.

1. Was he covered by the personal accident cover provided by the training organiser ?.

2. Is he entitled to any funds or benefits from the SRBF ?.

If the answer is no to either or both then I suggest the SCB gets it,s own house in order before preaching to Nora 92.

1 hour ago, heathen52 said:

Reference the recent serious injury to Jack Thomas.

1. Was he covered by the personal accident cover provided by the training organiser ?.

2. Is he entitled to any funds or benefits from the SRBF ?.

If the answer is no to either or both then I suggest the SCB gets it,s own house in order before preaching to Nora 92.

and as you don’t know the answer perhaps you get your own house in order before trying to stir things up. Even I don’t think the chairman of the sport would run a practice session on his own track without insurance in order.

• Like 1