British Speedway Forum
Grachan

Oxford v Swindon Select - Rescheduled April 19

2 hours ago, thecoombdog said:

Buzzing for this but the weather is going to beat us I think. Rain offs are one thing I haven't missed in my 3 and a half years away!

Hope not! Planning on attending this and looking forward to it. 

On 3/5/2023 at 7:05 PM, Toady said:

Yes well we could debate this forever,I would suggest those of you that are unhappy contact the stadium 

to tell them how you feel

That is an interesting concept. I have done that on two occasions so far to ask why it an online ticket is more expensive on the day....... Never received an answer to either

I am resigned to having to get an online ticket each time, understand and support no cash but do not understand why a debit card cannot be used. You can use it at the bars throughout the stadium

Still cannot fathom the need to charge £2 more on the day, feels like we should be encouraging people rather than exploiting the people making a last minute decision

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Chris Brown said:

That is an interesting concept. I have done that on two occasions so far to ask why it an online ticket is more expensive on the day....... Never received an answer to either

I am resigned to having to get an online ticket each time, understand and support no cash but do not understand why a debit card cannot be used. You can use it at the bars throughout the stadium

Still cannot fathom the need to charge £2 more on the day, feels like we should be encouraging people rather than exploiting the people making a last minute decision

Good to see that you are still around Chris and I agree with your thoughts 100%.

9 hours ago, Chris Brown said:

I agree. The £2 extra on the day, along with the weather forecast, means I've decided to give it a miss as I don't want to buy a ticket in advance only to have it cancelled. With speedway so weather dependent, it is a shame that they do add another £2 on the day. I'm very much a "make a decision at 6pm" kind of guy, so I would probably go to Oxford a lot more if I could just rock up on the day and wander in. 

The crowds seem pretty good though so they probably won't miss me.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Grachan said:

I agree. The £2 extra on the day, along with the weather forecast, means I've decided to give it a miss as I don't want to buy a ticket in advance only to have it cancelled. With speedway so weather dependent, it is a shame that they do add another £2 on the day. I'm very much a "make a decision at 6pm" kind of guy, so I would probably go to Oxford a lot more if I could just rock up on the day and wander in. 

Same here. Poor weather forecast. Will it be re-run if cancelled, perhaps during the summer months. No need to charge 2 quid extra on the day, but good luck to both teams and fans if it goes ahead. I would go to Oxfam more if you could pay on gate. Oxford Chargers v Workington in August for me.

Edited by auntie doris
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Chris Brown said:

Totally agree with that. Oxford speedway never reply. And its cash only for programme. Hope they get some good crowds this season. They would get a few more if they changed their admission policy.

Edited by auntie doris
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

Same here. Poor weather forecast. Will it be re-run if cancelled, perhaps during the summer months. No need to charge 2 quid extra on the day, but good luck to both teams and fans if it goes ahead. I would go to Oxfam more if you could pay on gate. Oxford Chargers v Workington in August for me.

Agree entirely.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

Totally agree with that. Oxford speedway never reply. And its cash only for programme. Hope they get some good crowds this season. They would get a few more if they changed their admission policy.

Have you emailed the club or the stadium?

42 minutes ago, Matt Davis said:

Have you emailed the club or the stadium?

Have only tried their Facebook/messenger page. Perhaps they could fit the fixture in end of August if it is rained-off after end of the League campaign, for the Swoinedown fans that only want to attend this one-off fixture, then they don't lose out. Will get up the A420 for a few matches this season, a few Robins, Coventry, Reading, etc, fans in attendance last year. Support British Speedway. 

Edited by auntie doris

Weather forecast not too bad on met office. Light rain in morning, then cloudy and rain coming in at 9pm. So might get it done in time! 

3 hours ago, Grachan said:

Personally I get fed up with all this booking online when one wishes to go to an attraction...and on top of that some even expect you to pay a booking fee! Became the norm during the pandemic and now appears to be the way forward. I prefer to look at my options (weather) and don't wish to pre-empt what I wish to do on any given day.

• Like 3

Interesting that it’s almost the exact opposite to Poole where the promotion like cash on the gate. You can buy advance tickets at Poole or pay by card at one entrance. (you couldn’t for years) 

I believe one of the main issues promotions had is the ageing crowds who were not the sharpest when it came to buying tickets online. But those days have gone and Online ticketing is expected in everything from concerts to any sporting event. Struggling to think where I would pay cash on the gate in any other sport.

But I can’t fathom out why Oxford would want to charge an extra £2 for buying an online ticket on the day of the meeting itself. Sure, they want to get money into the coffers as early as possible but £20 is more expensive than every other club and the extra £2 plus program boosts it up to £25. For the gains of getting the money in early, they lose by likely customers balking at the increase. 

Edited by Steve Shovlar
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Interesting that it’s almost the exact opposite to Poole where the promotion like cash on the gate. You can by advance tickets at Poole or pay by card at one entrance. (you couldn’t for years) 

I believe one of the main issues promotions had is the ageing crowds who were not the sharpest when it came to buying tickets online. But those days have gone and Online ticketing is expected in everything from concerts to any sporting event. Struggling to think where I would pay cash on the gate in any other sport.

But I can’t fathom out why Oxford would want to charge an extra £2 for buying an online ticket on the day of the meeting itself. Sure, they want to get money into the coffers as early as possible but £20 is more expensive than every other club and the extra £2 plus program boosts it up to £25. For the gains of getting the money in early, they lose by likely customers balking at the increase. 

It's only what most football clubs do,some bang it up from £20 to£25 on the day,and pay on the gate is very rare now in league football.

12 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Interesting that it’s almost the exact opposite to Poole where the promotion like cash on the gate. You can by advance tickets at Poole or pay by card at one entrance. (you couldn’t for years) 

Problem with that it does discriminate against those who wish to pay cash or even use contactless? Why would I want to book in advance to visit my local arboretum and then expect to pay a booking fee on top?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Derrickn said:

It's only what most football clubs do,some bang it up from £20 to£25 on the day,and pay on the gate is very rare now in league football.

...thankfully I don't go to football. Not prepared to get ripped off!

• Like 1