British Speedway Forum
TTT

The future of British Speedway after the 2023 season

I ve said before and others probably as well lack of riders will kill the sport before lack of tracks. How does up and coming little jonny afford thousands of pounds for a set up in a sport where in likelihood he won't make it?

5 minutes ago, TB1 said:

I ve said before and others probably as well lack of riders will kill the sport before lack of tracks. How does up and coming little jonny afford thousands of pounds for a set up in a sport where in likelihood he won't make it?

The promoters will kill it off before the lack of riders does...

We won't have a rider shortage with 10 tracks....

Poland have 64 non seeded lads in four quarter finals for the Polish Championship, with the great many of them very well known and of a very decent level...

The UK used to have the same until someone thought that training up the rest of the world's riders was a much better idea than giving places to UK lads...

Edited by mikebv

Here are some suggestions that could potentially help save speedway in the UK:

1. Building grassroots support: Speedway teams need to engage with local communities and involve fans in the sport. This could include initiatives like meet-and-greets, autograph signings, or putting on open practices. By creating a bond with fans at a local level, speedway teams can work on cultivating a dedicated and engaged fanbase.

2. Investments in infrastructure: Upgrading stadiums to improve the spectator experience, adding modern amenities, and refurbishing tracks are key components to modernizing speedway in the UK. This can attract new fans who might be deterred by outdated facilities or an uncomfortable viewing experience.

3. Improved marketing: Speedway needs to embrace modern marketing techniques to attract new fans. Social media campaigns, targeted advertising, and better communication with local media outlets could help raise awareness and enthusiasm for the sport.

4. Cost reduction: The cost of attending speedway events needs to be addressed, with an emphasis on making it more accessible for people from all income levels. Ticket price reductions, deals for families, and student discounts should all be considered. 

5. Exploring alternative revenue streams: Speedway teams could explore alternative revenue streams other than just ticket sales. Merchandising, event catering, and sponsorship deals can all help to create additional income streams for the sport.

From ChatGPT

I think we've found a replacement for Rob Godfrey :D

Edited by iainb
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, arnieg said:

Possible reasons:

1) the risk/suspicion that race fixing could/was taking place

2) the odds setters were never sophisticated enough (e.g. failing to give due weight to gate advantage) to make money.

On the subject of race fixing there are rumours of something suspicious at King’s Lynn recently. Without naming names, someone (let’s refer to him as Christopher Crackerjack) appeared to deliberately win five races!

1 hour ago, mikebv said:

The promoters will kill it off before the lack of riders does...

We won't have a rider shortage with 10 tracks....

Poland have 64 non seeded lads in four quarter finals for the Polish Championship, with the great many of them very well known and of a very decent level...

The UK used to have the same until someone thought that training up the rest of the world's riders was a much better idea than giving places to UK lads...

Was that the lazy option for promoters? I seemed to remember Rasmussen causing controversy when he became the first non uk rider to drop down.

2 minutes ago, TB1 said:

Was that the lazy option for promoters? I seemed to remember Rasmussen causing controversy when he became the first non uk rider to drop down.

It just became fashionable (and far too easy), to bring in a plethora of journeymen average fitters from overseas...

Then when they didn't work out, rinse and repeat with the next batch...

Hoping that the odd few would come good...

Poland will stay at the top because they know that closing opportunities for their own riders, and bringing in loads of random lads from overseas, is short term folly...

Hence they protect team places for their own countrymen. ..

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, TB1 said:

I think, back in the day the National League was a separate entity, a bit lit like what NORA is today. Rye House opened pandora's box when they signed Razza and he was quite an attraction at the time and understandably other NL clubs then followed suit to boost their businesses... eventually the leagues merged and then you end up where we are today

The sport in this country is clearly in a very poor place. We are seeing so many tracks/business close down not only over the last few years but for many years before this.

The only way this sport in the UK won't go into a semi pro state permanently and in my opinion spiral into oblivion is to reset now and start to grow.

A new independent governing body (away from club owners and the BSPL) is needed to set up a blueprint for the future of the sport in this country. This may start with a small pro top league and then a second semi pro league.

We have a lot of good guys involved in running the sport but I feel now is the time for them to work together working on how to improve the presentation of the sport to the public, we need people involved who are in place to evolve the sport in this country and not just their own club or business. 

Phil Morris is a good start but It does concern me he won't have the power to start this up because he has the vision.

Make it cheaper to run.

Make it cheaper to attend.

Make it exciting to watch.

Give young people more opportunities to get on a bike and experience the thrill.

Find a way to stop being at the mercy of landlords.

1 hour ago, Noelinho said:

Make it cheaper to run.

Make it cheaper to attend.

Make it exciting to watch.

Give young people more opportunities to get on a bike and experience the thrill.

Find a way to stop being at the mercy of landlords.

You don't ask for much! :D

Phil Morris on a podcast didn't seem to impress me with what he said . He was asked about the future of the panthers and wolves and didn't really give a proper answer really. Just encouraged clubs to own the stadiums like Leicester and workington and accepted that if your a tenant you can't do anything..so what's he going to do? 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, FishersGate said:

Phil Morris on a podcast didn't seem to impress me with what he said . He was asked about the future of the panthers and wolves and didn't really give a proper answer really. Just encouraged clubs to own the stadiums like Leicester and workington and accepted that if your a tenant you can't do anything..so what's he going to do? 

IMO Morris is not the man for the job but his face seems to fit ,it needs someone with fresh eyes and business background and of indepentent status he's far from that .

1 hour ago, lisa-colette said:

You don't ask for much! :D

Well, if you deal with 1), then 2) is a lot easier. And if you manage 3) hopefully more people turn up, which helps those even more.

But if you want to grow the sport, you need to do more to include younger fans, and ultimately, no matter what you do, if you don't control your stadium, sometimes getting all those things right doesn't matter.

If Edinburgh owned their own track then it their future would look a lot brighter. Their current track is a bit crap, but I also totally understand why it doesn't change. If they build a new one of their own, I'm sure it would be better, and then on Fridays when Glasgow aren't at home, I'll happily spend my money there. The reason I don't go there is because the racing is dull.

40 minutes ago, FishersGate said:

Just encouraged clubs to own the stadiums like Leicester and workington and accepted that if your a tenant you can't do anything..so what's he going to do? 

The thing is the Leicester and Workington models are not the same. I believe the Leicester stadium is Council owned and leased back on a long term agreement. Workington on the other hand is still at the whim of a private owner and I don't want to p1ss on their parade before they've even started but nobody knows what the future holds, just look at Somerset. It only takes an offer that can't be refused to be made to the owner and you're out of a home

Make it that meetings are actually worth winning...

Make it a credible offering...

Make it worth investing your emotional involvement in...

Make it affordable for those thousands who go now and again to attend more regularly...

Make it semi pro for the vast majority if it means a significant reduction in admission charges..

Make it cheaper for the riders to participate...

Make it a "proper night out" at a well promoted stand alone "event"..

Make it a joined up collective national marketing plan with decent budgetary investmemt pushing the sport generically..

Make it that you are not beholding to other leagues and run at the best time you feel can bring your largest crowds in...

Make it something that major sponsors won't see as being regarded, by even its own most loyal fans, as 'a bit Mickey Mouse"...

Make it up as you go along...

(Oops, no, not the last one, I took that from the current masterplan)..

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1