British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

German GP Teterow Saturday June 10th

4 hours ago, gbrussell said:

I’ve been asking myself that question for a while now. I guess that because gate 3 is often on the racing line, it can sometimes have no loose dirt at the start line. But we have seen GP’S where one gate other than 3 is totally useless. 

When the GP series started in 1995 I was suspicious of gates being doctored to suit whichever home rider had 2 starts from a particular gate and was the most likely rider to win.

Now as it seems to be happening very regularly I am suspicious of the series organisers doing this intentionally so as any one rider can’t go through the card unbeaten

Track prep to make it fair for all is what we all want but it looks unlikely.

That would be the most pointless plan ever, as the winner gets 20 GP points, wether he's scored 21 or 12 in his heats!

3 hours ago, HenryW said:

That's the key thing to me.

If you have a track that can actually be raced, the difference in the gates becomes much less important.

Obviously it would be nice if gates were equal, but if they have to focus on something, I'd prefer that to be preparing a track that enables passing rather than making sure gates are all equal.

100% the way to go. Have a track that allows multiple passes every heat (Belle Vue, Wroclaw) then the gates will hardly matter. If a track can't produce these lines - don't hold a GP there!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, r8gdp said:

That should be Track 

Not one of the best gps  but it is what it is 

I think we need to ban zmarzlik for the next 2 gp s to give the others a chance

What!???  Did you want Fundin, Mauger, Tony Rick banned to give others a chance?  No, they were looked on as legends.

"Serious question…….. how do you prepare gates so they are equal?  It isn’t good the way things go at the moment so something needs to be done. Are equal gates achievable? Is it something that can be done in a short period of time ie on the day of the GP? Or is it a beginning of the season type of thing?"

Easy .... you tarmac the starting grid . Brush it clean of shale every race and you have 4 even starting grids. Or you use concrete as was used in the 50's.

36 minutes ago, midlandred said:

What!???  Did you want Fundin, Mauger, Tony Rick banned to give others a chance?  No, they were looked on as legends.

It was a tongue in cheek comment 

he s running away with it just thought it might help the others catch up  little bit

14 hours ago, Gavan said:

Neither did Doyle or Vaculik and they are currently in the top 6…… Tai is in the worlds top 10 simply should be in the GP series 

He didn't even do the qualifiers last year... or this, he'll get his wild card ticket to the gravy train though.. like all the others

On 6/10/2023 at 8:46 PM, szkocjasid said:

Have to disagree, the GPs are for the top 15 riders in the world. Unless he is finishing 15th/16th in every round, then he's clearly still at GP standard!

Not when they give away Wildcards,you can question who are the Top 15.It’s the Qualifications system the needs revamped.iMO. You then may get more form riders in the Series. The points format is Questionable to some but that’s how it is,realistically there are only 4-5 riders who can match Zmarzlik over the Series IMO,and 2 of them are banned.They need decent tracks though and you will get great racing.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, r8gdp said:

It was a tongue in cheek comment 

he s running away with it just thought it might help the others catch up  little bit

I saw it as a tongue in cheek comment. How about Zmarzlik being handicapped and starting every GP on minus 5 points. That should make it a tad more interesting or even starting a quarter of a lap behind everyone in every race including the semis and final??

• Like 1

On 6/10/2023 at 9:13 PM, one of clubs said:

Why oh why do they keep staging GP’s at rubbish tracks?.I cannot remember the last time I saw a decent GP meeting. They are dire most of the time.

Couldn't agree more. Very boring most of the time. OK live with the atmosphere but always quite drawn out on TV with a lot of follow the leader races.

Give me British League racing any day of the week. Not as glam but usually a lot more interesting and at the end of the day, I personally prefer team speedway. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Why oh why do they keep staging GP’s at rubbish tracks?.I cannot remember the last time I saw a decent GP meeting. They are dire most of the time.

Teterow was appallingly bad last year as well and Prague was not much better. Appreciate Prague is there for the city experience but can they not improve the track ? A little banking and some more dirt. 

Dan Bewley on twitter "Watching Teterow back, every time the track started to come good they watered it and made it back around the curb. Heat 20 the best it looked all night and they flooded it for the semis. Don’t understand that decision...." 

He may want to ask Phil Morris that question but in general that race track is woefully poor for a racing spectacle. Hopefully Gorzow gives us some decent racing and that way the gate positions won't be as critical - Last year R6 B5 W0 Y9 - Semi/Final B2 Y1  

I would prefer if they scrapped the fast of the semis and final, and just gave the riders the point that they scored over 20 heats.

This World champion would then be the best rider over the GP series. Currently riders can score big GP points after by having two goods rides in the semis and final after scoring 6 or 7 points from 20 heats. Using this scoring system the current top three GP rider are Bartosz Zmarzlik 43 pts; Dan Bewley 43 pts; and Jason Doyle 40 pts.

• Like 2

Saw up to and after the semi finals had been completed then  switched over to the Champions League Final. Think it was then a foregone conclusion that Zmarzlik would win the final.

In semi final 1 is it possible that Rob Lambert made a mistake in trying to pass Zmarzlik on bend 3 and in hindsight left too much room inside. I know it's a split second decision but I thought both Rob and Dan were without doubt 2 of the best riders on show and both can count themselves unfortunate not being in the Final. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fullmax said:

Saw up to and after the semi finals had been completed then  switched over to the Champions League Final. Think it was then a foregone conclusion that Zmarzlik would win the final.

In semi final 1 is it possible that Rob Lambert made a mistake in trying to pass Zmarzlik on bend 3 and in hindsight left too much room inside. I know it's a split second decision but I thought both Rob and Dan were without doubt 2 of the best riders on show and both can count themselves unfortunate not being in the Final. 

Agree Lambert was in No man’s land when didn’t actually get over on Zmarzlik in 3rd bend.Split second decision like you say.He was very good on the night though.

Edited by Fromafar
  • Like 1

Take it you didn't watch Prague last week then?