British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
racers and royals

Kings Lynn v Leicester Monday 19th June Live on Eurosport

1 minute ago, Haza said:

Buster dislikes TV meetings but as you say has never done bugger all to try and attract more fans in on Tv nights . Wouldn’t it be good to see promotors live up to their title and actually promote. 

Well just in general really to attract any fresh blood through the gate. I know from first-hand experience that my age group - the one mentioned above - is severely underrepresented at speedway. However, there has never been any incentive to get people my age in the stadium.

I'm not asking for free handouts, but we are typically the demographic that has less disposable income, but somehow the older generation who stereotypically have higher disposable income pay less. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, WeslakeJohn said:

I agreevStarBoy. Maybe he thought that there was someone from HMRC in the audience

You got it in one there it’s not how many you get in the stadium it’s how many is declared for HMRC purposes. 
British speedway must be the only sport that doesn’t announce attendance figures on a weekly basis .

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Haza said:

You got it in one there it’s not how many you get in the stadium it’s how many is declared for HMRC purposes. 
British speedway must be the only sport that doesn’t announce attendance figures on a weekly basis .

Maybe it's 600 who pay by card (obviously they all have to be declared) and the remaining who pay by cash, (200-300) taking us up to the grand total of 800-900 which seemed more realistic for the Wolves meeting

2 minutes ago, StarBoy said:

Well just in general really to attract any fresh blood through the gate. I know from first-hand experience that my age group - the one mentioned above - is severely underrepresented at speedway. However, there has never been any incentive to get people my age in the stadium.

I'm not asking for free handouts, but we are typically the demographic that has less disposable income, but somehow the older generation who stereotypically have higher disposable income pay less. 

To be honest, I have to agree with you about the 600 quote, it looked quite a bit more than that.

You are possibly right about a lot of the older generation having higher disposable income, but there also a lot that don't. I have to keep a home and everything that goes with it in life, for well under £200 a week, and I mean well under £200, due to having a reduced pension as a result of having to give up work in 1986 through health issues.   
I'm not picking holes in what you say, but just saying from my perspective.

With regards to getting people into the stadiums, I suppose we could all come after with various ideas. I do know for a fact in the case of King's Lynn pre-Covid, that large mobile signs were placed by roundabouts in and out of the area, advertising the meeting each time.  A van used to drive round the surrounding villages and holiday resorts (Hunstanton in particular) leading up to a meeting. Leaflets were distributed to hotels and information centres, and the local newspapers and Radio Norfolk, gave the club, and still do, excellent coverage.  

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, iainb said:

They had completed 2 full laps... the reds didn't come on until bend 2 of lap 2... are you Christina in disguise :D

Plus... there was no way Artem was going to catch and pass our boys, especially with the way the track was in heat 1

Yeah well he caught them in the re run 

10 minutes ago, Haza said:

to be fair I once attended a football match in the late 90s where the announced crowd on the night was higher than what was reported in the paper the next day - this match was on Sky Tv. on a friday night as well in what was the the time the now Championship.

to be fair lots of other sports I have attended over the years ice Hockey, Basketball Rugby haven't always been that open about attendance either!

1 minute ago, Mimmo said:

To be honest, I have to agree with you about the 600 quote, it looked quite a bit more than that.

You are possibly right about a lot of the older generation having higher disposable income, but there also a lot that don't. I have to keep a home and everything that goes with it in life, for well under £200 a week, and I mean well under £200, due to having a reduced pension as a result of having to give up work in 1986 through health issues.   
I'm not picking holes in what you say, but just saying from my perspective.

With regards to getting people into the stadiums, I suppose we could all come after with various ideas. I do know for a fact in the case of King's Lynn pre-Covid, that large mobile signs were placed by roundabouts in and out of the area, advertising the meeting each time.  A van used to drive round the surrounding villages and holiday resorts (Hunstanton in particular) leading up to a meeting. Leaflets were distributed to hotels and information centres, and the local newspapers and Radio Norfolk, gave the club, and still do, excellent coverage.  

I understand what you're saying, everyone has different circumstances and that's the great thing with speedway you get people from every walk of life, which should be celebrated.

Obviously my comments were generalised and stereotypical which probably isn't the best way to go about things, but if ticket prices all round were cheaper then this could drastically increase footfall. 

Take for example Poland you can get a seated ticket for the equivalent of like £8-10. You can pay more if you wish, but that is for a bog standard ticket.

Yes, I understand that the sponsorship money and overall wealth of the sport there is higher than here, but if you're still not getting people in the stadium that business model stills fails. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Grachan said:

He fell on lap 2. The rider leading the race was still on lap 2 at the time of the fall.

Yes, you could argue that they were on lap 3 when the red lights came on, but it seems perfectly reasonable to have a re-run.

The rule itself, of course, is not clear whether the two laps refer to at the time of the incident or the time of the stoppage so it is  down to the ref's interpretation I guess.

It's when the lights come on, not when the rider falls. The leading rider was on lap three, the only call to make was award the race as Laguta wasn't challenging an opponent. 

Very poor refereeing 

1 hour ago, therefused said:

It was on TV though, the crowd is not usually that small. But that is down the promoter to get people in when its on TV, Chapman has never done anything

Apart from call it off.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

It's when the lights come on, not when the rider falls. The leading rider was on lap three, the only call to make was award the race as Laguta wasn't challenging an opponent. 

Very poor refereeing 

It's not poor refereeing. The decision on whether or not the race is awarded is at the referee's discretion. There is no rule that the race HAS to be awarded.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, IanBrannan said:

Yeah well he caught them in the re run 

Yes Christina :D But he did have 5 minutes to change his bike setup and then went out and won it FTG

25 minutes ago, Grachan said:

It's not poor refereeing. The decision on whether or not the race is awarded is at the referee's discretion. There is no rule that the race HAS to be awarded.

it was poor discretion :D

26 minutes ago, Grachan said:

You're absolutely correct but incorrect. She went totally by the rules, 100%. That doesn't mean it was a good decision as most referees are advised that if rider's are unchallenged by an opposition rider to award heats & that happens 9/10 times. 

21 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

You're absolutely correct but incorrect. She went totally by the rules, 100%. That doesn't mean it was a good decision as most referees are advised that if rider's are unchallenged by an opposition rider to award heats & that happens 9/10 times. 

As you say ....... 100% correct according to rules............. so the decision is exactly that 100% correct!

This was probably the most undeserved away win that I've ever seen ................. it's all well and good that Dickson states that KL benefitted by the TS in Heat 14 ....... bottom line is that KL woud not have needed it ............. it was obvious that the Leicester lot couldn't get anywhere near Laguta therfore most likely outcome....................................... Heat 13  3-3 (Laguta to win)  Heat 14 (as programmed) 3-3  ..... Jorgensen got a paid win as it was!     Heat 15   5-1 to KL courtesey Klindt & Laguta       .......... final score (should have been)  45 - 45 !

Anyway it's all academic ............ KL's match loser was Erik Riss (as I thought would be case as soon as he was announced as guest).

What? Laguta was nowhere near winning heat 1 & 10 in both original runnings.

Edited by Elmo
  • Like 2