British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Oxford v Poole 21/6/23 Championship.

1 hour ago, lisa-colette said:

You know you are successful when other fans gloat cos you lost an away meeting! 

I agree, not sure why any Poole fans would be concerned about their title chances. I'm pretty sure ONE away defeat will not stop them getting into the top 6 in a 9 team league!

• Like 5

As I awaken from a bad dream..........oh crikey wot happened there??

Oh well......... it's a new dawn, it's a new day, it's a new life for me, ooh

And I'm feeling good!

C'MON THE PIRATES :t:

6 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Just got back. Fair play to Oxford the three heat leaders were in peak form and we couldn’t live with them tonight. In fact a Poole rider didn’t actually beat an Oxford rider out of the gate until half way through the meeting. Worrall managed to pass Heeps in heat one,  Lawson passed Atkins in heat 4, All with Oxford on 5-1’s. They had their setups right and were completely dialled in. Heat after heat saw Oxford first and second out of the starts. A big crowd tonight, swelled by a lot of Poole fans and the lure from locals of watching the champions. 

Couple of big talking points though. Heat 15 and a completely out of control Nicholls smashed into Lawson on the third bend. A desperate and out of control move which saw Lawson heading to the fence, and but for his skills would have taken a purler. Unusual for Nicholls to act in such a way. The ref should have red lighted the race but for some unfathomable reason allowed it to continue! The result would not have changed from an Oxford win but the manoeuvre would have been more suited to WWE. Nicholls went up to Lawson after the race to what looked like an apology. Hope Lawson accepted it as he isn’t one to forget. 

The other talking point is gate 4. Shocking disadvantage from this gate. Was the same last time we were here. Surely it needs to be fixed? Even Masters ran a last out of it.

...gate 4 has always been a poor gate going back years (many made the observation that the starting gate was too close to the first bend?) but can't comment on the new track.

Edited by steve roberts

30 minutes ago, lbw said:

As I awaken from a bad dream..........oh crikey wot happened there??

Oh well......... it's a new dawn, it's a new day, it's a new life for me, ooh

And I'm feeling good!

C'MON THE PIRATES :t:

Hello Turdrip, still talking rubbish I see.

• Haha 2

Oxfords top 3 murdered pooles top 3 really , even ht13 nicholls bust his balls to pass Worrall when the track had gone. Kerr was v impressive and Atkins rode very well.

For Poole , tho they will go close this yr for sure but the  2 weak links were there for all to see last night. 

Track was excellent first 7 races then slickened right off , great attendance too

7 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Just got back. Fair play to Oxford the three heat leaders were in peak form and we couldn’t live with them tonight. In fact a Poole rider didn’t actually beat an Oxford rider out of the gate until half way through the meeting. Worrall managed to pass Heeps in heat one,  Lawson passed Atkins in heat 4, All with Oxford on 5-1’s. They had their setups right and were completely dialled in. Heat after heat saw Oxford first and second out of the starts. A big crowd tonight, swelled by a lot of Poole fans and the lure from locals of watching the champions. 

Couple of big talking points though. Heat 15 and a completely out of control Nicholls smashed into Lawson on the third bend. A desperate and out of control move which saw Lawson heading to the fence, and but for his skills would have taken a purler. Unusual for Nicholls to act in such a way. The ref should have red lighted the race but for some unfathomable reason allowed it to continue! The result would not have changed from an Oxford win but the manoeuvre would have been more suited to WWE. Nicholls went up to Lawson after the race to what looked like an apology. Hope Lawson accepted it as he isn’t one to forget. 

The other talking point is gate 4. Shocking disadvantage from this gate. Was the same last time we were here. Surely it needs to be fixed? Even Masters ran a last out of it.

It is not Cricket Nigel .

• Haha 1

Poole must have lost, Traçkrat has been on :rofl:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

I agree, not sure why any Poole fans would be concerned about their title chances. I'm pretty sure ONE away defeat will not stop them getting into the top 6 in a 9 team league!

But the play-off system makes coming top very important.

Whoever comes top only has to beat 5th and 6th place teams to get the final (assuming they make the logical choice), whereas the runners up end up in a 'group of death'. (So if Poole don't come top they would have to beat Glasgow and Redcar to get to the final)

8 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Sam Masters finished second in Heat 10 off gate 4.

At least it's possible to race at Oxford - it's not all over by the second bend as it is at Wimborne Road.  Terrific racing last night - a number of races where positions were still changing on the final lap.  I realise that may have given you a nosebleed, since you're not used to seeing it ;) 

Great performance by Cheetahs last night - Poole's top end strength didn't do the job and the Oxford heat-leaders dominated, while another fantastic performance by Henry Atkins at reserve.  

Edited by lucifer sam
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, arnieg said:

Whoever comes top only has to beat 5th and 6th place teams to get the final (assuming they make the logical choice), whereas the runners up end up in a 'group of death'. (So if Poole don't come top they would have to beat Glasgow and Redcar to get to the final)

Poole don't need an "easy" path to make it to the final do they?

Obviously finishing top does have a small advantage, but as there are 5 teams a cut above the rest, top will most likely pick 6th plus one other strong team (injuries permitting).

Besides still have to beat another strong team over 3 legs in the final.

Even so, one loss at Oxford doesn't mean Poole aren't favourites to finish top imo.

Edited by szkocjasid

54 minutes ago, arnieg said:

Play Offs This season the top 6 are split into 2 groups of 3 with the winners of each group meeting in the Grand Final.

Not sure what advantage finishing top of the 'qualifying' league gives.

Edited by lbw

59 minutes ago, arnieg said:

Don't think it is very important as you put it. Finishing top just means you potentially lose the league title, like Leicester last season. Who is to say 6th place team doesn't have the form (they may need 4/5 wins in a row to get 6th place for example).

Definitely not as black and white as you make out. 

Edited by lisa-colette

9 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Masters 0 was in heat 13 when he was out of gate 1, ironically Richie won out of gate 4 in that heat.

• Like 1

A thoroughly enjoyable meeting, and the atmosphere in the crowd was the best I've felt at a domestic speedway meeting in some time. Had the hairs standing up on the back of your neck. Poole fans always bring a good following and are very vocal, which adds to the occasion. The Oxford fans clearly fed off that and turned the volume up accordingly. It was all pretty respectful, apart from some sour Poole fans booing Nicholls in heat 15 when he just lifted and made a mistake - nothing intentional - and Lawson clearly accepted his apology with a shake of hands after the race. Some Poole fans were probably unsure if Lawson had forgiven Nicholls as they were already heading home after lap 2 of heat 15...a stream of them started to leave.

I was stood next the Poole following and is was quite comical listening to them, as they clearly aren't used to losing.

After heat 5 they were already accepting defeat: "I can't believe how bad we've been, this could be 55-35. We might as well give up now"
After heat 8 they were making team changes: "Roynon is just not good enough at this level, and Worrall isn't a heat leader anymore. We need to make at least two changes if we're going to win the playoffs"
After heat 14 they were dreaming of revenge at home: "If this was at Poole, we'd be thrashing them. No way Atkins scores more than four points. Masters won't get a maximum next time, so we'll easily beat them"