British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ScunnyDan

30.06.2023 - League - Scunny v Oxford

14 minutes ago, Chairboy said:

A fantastic meeting - well done to Scunthorpe for producing such a brilliant race track. However...as an Oxford fan, I should be pleased with the outcome after the 'superheat'. But I just can't get used to the stupidity of the idea. For one thing, what's wrong with a draw? It would have been a fair result. But to have another heat - where the object of the 'race' is not to win, but to avoid coming last - is just absurd.

I agree...another daft rule that only speedway could come up with.

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, Chairboy said:

A fantastic meeting - well done to Scunthorpe for producing such a brilliant race track. However...as an Oxford fan, I should be pleased with the outcome after the 'superheat'. But I just can't get used to the stupidity of the idea. For one thing, what's wrong with a draw? It would have been a fair result. But to have another heat - where the object of the 'race' is not to win, but to avoid coming last - is just absurd.

Glad I am not the only one who thinks Superheats are just a waste of time and additional expense.

We should have 3 points for each match, win 3, draw home team 1 and away team 2, lose 0.

Let’s make it simple, their is nothing wrong with a draw.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Chairboy said:

I couldn't agree more. The super-fluous heat is an invention by or for TV. But then to use a race formula which means the race winner can end up on the losing side is debatable for the faithful and downright bemusing for new comers and prospective new fans. So we're using this arguably confusing mechanism to decide results and in part, to advertise our sport.
I'm tempted to say that you couldn't make it up, but that's not true. 

• Like 6

Cracking meeting with both teams taking points, which both deserved IMO. No 'victory' parade after the super heat thou, disappointing for  fans of both teams  :( 

As an Oxford fan, was happy to see Allen selected over Lambert in the super heat.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

I agree...another daft rule that only speedway could come up with.

Ice Hockey had shoot-outs, as did US "soccer" in its day, so nothing new in it at all.

16 minutes ago, Hilly said:

Cracking meeting with both teams taking points, which both deserved IMO. No 'victory' parade after the super heat thou, disappointing for  fans of both teams  :( 

As an Oxford fan, was happy to see Allen selected over Lambert in the super heat.

How do you have a victory parade where no one won? 

10 minutes ago, StevePark said:

Ice Hockey had shoot-outs, as did US "soccer" in its day, so nothing new in it at all.

Cricket have a super over in the 20/20 world cup as well. 

Though someone does have to win that! 

Edited by lisa-colette

16 minutes ago, StevePark said:

Yes I was forgetting Ice Hockey having been an avid fan of Oxford City "Stars" back in the 80's. It's an American "thing" that someone has to be seen as the winners. Our friends from across the pond can't conceive the idea that a draw is a fair outcome but, then again, they have problems connecting with cricket and its rules!

Would not be better if you have a Super Heat for it to be a Match Race between 2 riders.The winner then wins it for his Team.

• Like 3

It'd be even more entertaining if each team had to nominate a Member of their Management team or Track Staff to do the race :rofl:

• Like 1

Meeting of the British Speedway season - will be hard to top.

Close meeting, superb racing and it came down to a Superheat. British Speedway bosses are often criticised, but this is a great innovation - and gives fans an extra exciting race for their money. Who would complain about that? 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Would not be better if you have a Super Heat for it to be a Match Race between 2 riders.The winner then wins it for his Team.

If a winner has to be the outcome I think that's a better option...never did like the 4 3 2 0 scoring system.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

Gifted their rivals one though. Who knows how that will affect final table. Could be the difference between first and second. They should have held on to a six point lead against a 5 man team? Heeps lost a lot of points by the sound of it. 

You could, also, say Allen lost a lot of points too & Jenkins gained a few but that is the nature of our track. Multi racing lines, not many "ftg" races & no need to fill in your programme after the first 2 bends.

As many have complained about the coverage by Eurosport in that the cameras only seem to follow the leader, it would be a waste of time them coming to the EWR as you need to follow ALL of the racing. It is not about winning races but the lower places can be decisive too.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, foreverblue said:

Do you know if anyone was asked? Most riders would not turn down a guest booking.

A couple of Poole riders could have had the opportunity to ride at Glasgow last Friday to test set ups & racing lines especially as they were due there yesterday, even though it was called off. They could, also, have guested last night. Gilkes was another name that I heard mentioned in the crowd although he is riding in Poland today(so is Douglas). 

2 minutes ago, IronScorpion said:

A couple of Poole riders could have had the opportunity to ride at Glasgow last Friday to test set ups & racing lines especially as they were due there yesterday, even though it was called off. They could, also, have guested last night. Gilkes was another name that I heard mentioned in the crowd although he is riding in Poland today(so is Douglas). 

Gilkes flew out to Poland early Friday morning

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, scunny1 said:

As predicted Masters has a decent meeting and Rider Replacement cost us dear. Hindsight is wonderful but a guest was the obvious choice with no other teams riding tonight. Why was Jake in the super heat instead of Lambo? All night he was under powered and going backwards down the straights-another Manager dubious decision.

Another lesson not learned from, especially after going down to 5 men last Friday at Glasgow. We know Rob pays his riders on time so is it a monetary issue in getting guests with the amount Rob pays?