British Speedway Forum
Najjer

Survival of The Premiership?

15 minutes ago, truthsayer said:

Costs a lot of money to invite an influencer with clout. 

Agree with the sentiment, however there's a big cost attached and unlikely to be recouped with increased attendances.

Main problem is that the product is rotten. Ultimately no poor product survives, that's just how it is. You can promote all you like, but if people don't like what they see you won't get their repeat business.

Agree about the product,,, I've been going less and less the last few years,,, and this year after watching 2 I've basically stopped. It just doesn't do it for me anymore,,,, dull racing,,, dead atmosphere,,, it's like what the hell am I doing here. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

Agree about the product,,, I've been going less and less the last few years,,, and this year after watching 2 I've basically stopped. It just doesn't do it for me anymore,,,, dull racing,,, dead atmosphere,,, it's like what the hell am I doing here. 

I watch it on the TV and think the same thing. Dull, dull, dull. Every time I pass the stadium and think about going I think about what I see on the TV, but costing me £20 and standing in a dilapidated old stadium.

I think when I went 25 years ago that it was a more social thing than anything else. Probably the racing was better, but it was about meeting up with mates and having a good night out. I think I've probably got more sophisticated in terms of what I want from a night out!

1 hour ago, bloom89 said:

But why should two different people pay different prices for exactly the same thing? Like going to Tesco getting a ham sandwich I’m paying £1.50 but you pay £4 for exactly the same sandwich it doesn’t make sense.

Happens all the time. Did you ever get a flight, or travel by train? Go to theatre, concert...? 

Many pricing models are demand based, or have new customer incentives. Not saying it's fair, but it's probably more common than you think.

In a way, it doesn't really matter. If your sandwich is rubbish, no-one is going to buy it regardless of the price. Discounts for new customers are great if you want to introduce or relaunch a new product. Get them hooked and they'll still pay when the price goes up. But if the product isn't good enough they won't buy it, regardless of discount.

Yes, pricing probably needs tweaking, but it's the product which is the problem here.

• Like 1

I have attend BV four times this year..

First meeting v Sheffield, PCMM, and the visits of Emil and Artem...

Not sure how many other meetings there has been, but just by me not purchasing any tickets for them, it should have triggered the club to make contact and at least inform me of what is taking place in the near future...

My email is known to them when I buy the tickets,, so they will know when I have attended, and when I havent...

Two meetings missed and that should be pounced on, eg 10% off the next etc..

I have also never received any "feedback request" as to the experience of attending, which is a very basic mechanic in the entertainment industry.. 

When you are fighting for every customer through the door, then seek feedback from regulars, but, more importantly, seek feedback from those who attend less regularly...

Much easier to get these people to visit more often than get newbiies to attend because they actually purchase your product and know who you are!!

I remember reading on another thread someone saying that if the person who was complaining had an issue with the promoter of their team then they should  go and speak with them...

A typical arse about face way symptomatic of what pervades..

The owners of the tracks should actively seek feedback, they should also review closely all social media pertaining to their club and sport as this provides unsolicited feedback which is "gold" for any business wanting to improve.. 

The sport seems to do nothing along the lines of putting together a "think tank" to find out how best to progress it, instead they meet up within their own echo chamber, which usually seems to result in very much of the "same old, same old", which clearly isn't fit for purpose..

So much could be done as a collective..

But so little seems to be...

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Not sure how many other meetings there has been, but just by me not purchasing any tickets for them, it should have triggered the club to make contact and at least inform me of what is taking place in the near future...

My email is known to them when I buy the tickets,, so they will know when I have attended, and when I havent...

Does that not depend on whether you gave consent to be contacted for these reasons?

They have your email address but I think GDPR laws say that they can only use this for the purpose it was provided, not any extra reasons unless you give explicit consent.

Of course, if they are not even asking for that consent at registration then they are missing an opportunity, as you suggest.

• Like 1

The difference to how BSN engage is massive as well. I've emailed them a few times and they get back very quick and sort the issue or at least explain if they can't. Because Wolves are shutting I've began to wonder shall I bother next year with BSN, Discovery+ , speedway star and save a bit of money but because of the excellent service off BSN I've decided il keep my subscription going with them. My star subscription is up this week and I'm not sure il bother renewing but like speedway itself they seem a bit stuck in the past eg reminders sent in post rather than email

With so many ideas and suggestions on this thread plus many constructive and valid opinions on what might or might not work, the fundamental problem is that no one at club level be they owners, promoters or the fat controllers are reading what is being said, can be bothered to respond and with each club having its own agenda while loosely following the remit of the few whose answer to any dissident is to threaten them expulsion, change is not going to happen.  If you are on the end of a threat of suspension and fines with a fairly large bond held by those who have you by the wotsits, how many would go against the grain. It will take a break away group to either join Nora or start their own association before anything will change.

The problems have been mounting for too many years, club closures being an example where for many reasons they have gone by the wayside but what happened to all the riders who not so long ago grace so many tracks up and down the land.? Why is the sport so short of riders? Why do meetings get called off based on a weather forecast which might predict a slight chance of rain? Why have the authorities done nothing to control costs so that you are left with rider’s demands keep going up at the same time as sponsorship and attendances fall?

Away attendances tend to be a thing of the past unless it is the play offs and the lack of away support can be in part to the geographical spread of teams and the cost of travelling to meetings plus with most tracks operating mid week, it is hardly conducive to a family day out. Possibly speedway could learn from other motor sports when it comes to entertainment, promotion and the day that they that they run a meeting (ideally Thursday through to Sunday and no you will not attract many top names but they currently pick which meetings they are going to appear in so what does it matter). The meeting ought to be an event not just 15 contrived races with riders who will ride for any team who wants to pay them. People want more for the money and this is one of the few sports which gives less and less.

Alas most on here can only watch from the sidelines as the sport slowly disappears into oblivion largely due to a few burying their collective heads in the sand and continuing to be in total denial as to how bad it has become in this country. As much as they may aspire to follow in the foot steps of Poland in reality that will never achieve what the Poles have today, so cut your cloth accordingly and get back to grass roots entertainment. However, no one is listening.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Steve Purchase (Oxford) was very good communicating with fans (I recall a survey being carried out when fans were issued with a form on one particular occasion) but grew disillusioned with the sport. Following Promoter Nigel Wagsraff had some novel ideas (I actually did some promotional work at schools and outside Tesco's).

Wagstaff was very enthusiastic, but his ego & lack of speedway knowledge nearly bankrupted Oxford & his own business. Credit for trying, & I admire him for sponsoring the legend that was Simon Wigg.

• Like 1

Just not enough people attending UK speedway anymore.

it’s been in decline for years. 

some bright spark will come on here and tell me “xxx” have increased their crowd this season, but we are talking maybe at most a couple of thousand spectators at a meeting. 

Not enough people, not enough money coming in. That’s it really. 

• Like 1

A huge factor is that one size doesn't fit all. Talk of clubs like Poole, Oxford and Glasgow being incentivised to move up? what incentive, lose the preferred race night of current supporters, lose the ability to turn a reasonable profit at a level that is providing entertainment. A huge amount of teams in the UK are running at least one level above where they can survive/afford and invariably these teams are then tracking weaker sides, losing matches and sliding slowly towards folding altogether. 

Barry and co on IOW are not geniuses but they know what their audience responds to and how to operate within their budget, of course the Nora approach won't be for all but thats the point, with so many individual business 'people' the rules and operating model will never reflect fairness across the board. Plenty of sports have seen boom and bust over the years maybe its simply Speedways inevitable turn?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mikebv said:

Two meetings missed and that should be pounced on, eg 10% off the next etc..

I have also never received any "feedback request" as to the experience of attending, which is a very basic mechanic in the entertainment industry.. 

When you are fighting for every customer through the door, then seek feedback from regulars, but, more importantly, seek feedback from those who attend less regularly...

Much easier to get these people to visit more often than get newbiies to attend because they actually purchase your product and know who you are!!

I remember reading on another thread someone saying that if the person who was complaining had an issue with the promoter of their team then they should  go and speak with them...

A typical arse about face way symptomatic of what pervades..

The owners of the tracks should actively seek feedback, they should also review closely all social media pertaining to their club and sport as this provides unsolicited feedback which is "gold" for any business wanting to improve.. 

The sport seems to do nothing along the lines of putting together a "think tank" to find out how best to progress it, instead they meet up within their own echo chamber, which usually seems to result in very much of the "same old, same old", which clearly isn't fit for purpose..

So much could be done as a collective..

But so little seems to be...

Most businesses send out feedback request emails after a visit. I drive a Renault and get feedback questionnaire from both dealer and Renault 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

A huge factor is that one size doesn't fit all. Talk of clubs like Poole, Oxford and Glasgow being incentivised to move up? what incentive, lose the preferred race night of current supporters, lose the ability to turn a reasonable profit at a level that is providing entertainment. A huge amount of teams in the UK are running at least one level above where they can survive/afford and invariably these teams are then tracking weaker sides, losing matches and sliding slowly towards folding altogether. 

Barry and co on IOW are not geniuses but they know what their audience responds to and how to operate within their budget, of course the Nora approach won't be for all but thats the point, with so many individual business 'people' the rules and operating model will never reflect fairness across the board. Plenty of sports have seen boom and bust over the years maybe its simply Speedways inevitable turn?

I wouldn’t be surprised to see some current tracks go Nora in 2024 - plenty of clues around as to who they might be

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hawk127 said:

With so many ideas and suggestions on this thread plus many constructive and valid opinions on what might or might not work, the fundamental problem is that no one at club level be they owners, promoters or the fat controllers are reading what is being said, can be bothered to respond and with each club having its own agenda while loosely following the remit of the few whose answer to any dissident is to threaten them expulsion, change is not going to happen.  If you are on the end of a threat of suspension and fines with a fairly large bond held by those who have you by the wotsits, how many would go against the grain. It will take a break away group to either join Nora or start their own association before anything will change.

The problems have been mounting for too many years, club closures being an example where for many reasons they have gone by the wayside but what happened to all the riders who not so long ago grace so many tracks up and down the land.? Why is the sport so short of riders? Why do meetings get called off based on a weather forecast which might predict a slight chance of rain? Why have the authorities done nothing to control costs so that you are left with rider’s demands keep going up at the same time as sponsorship and attendances fall?

Away attendances tend to be a thing of the past unless it is the play offs and the lack of away support can be in part to the geographical spread of teams and the cost of travelling to meetings plus with most tracks operating mid week, it is hardly conducive to a family day out. Possibly speedway could learn from other motor sports when it comes to entertainment, promotion and the day that they that they run a meeting (ideally Thursday through to Sunday and no you will not attract many top names but they currently pick which meetings they are going to appear in so what does it matter). The meeting ought to be an event not just 15 contrived races with riders who will ride for any team who wants to pay them. People want more for the money and this is one of the few sports which gives less and less.

Alas most on here can only watch from the sidelines as the sport slowly disappears into oblivion largely due to a few burying their collective heads in the sand and continuing to be in total denial as to how bad it has become in this country. As much as they may aspire to follow in the foot steps of Poland in reality that will never achieve what the Poles have today, so cut your cloth accordingly and get back to grass roots entertainment. However, no one is listening.

Excellent post

51 minutes ago, FromBendThree said:

I wouldn’t be surprised to see some current tracks go Nora in 2024 - plenty of clues around as to who they might be

And if they do... I doubt there'll be a single (real) fan that says I'm not going to that because it's not BSPL

• Like 3