British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
topaz325

Workington v Leicester 08/07/2023 3pm ko cup 1st leg

2 minutes ago, WokJoWe said:

I agree with a few things that's been said. 

The abuse from the fans, especially to a young lad is unacceptable. Yes, that decision was piss poor but that isn't the riders fault. 

Boughen should've been excluded, if not the first time, definitely the second time when he fell in the exact same place.

The difference was our lower point riders. Harry and elliot aren't good enough. 4 points over 11 heats between them is poor.

kelly has had some good rides 

harry has shown what he can do but there seams to be some sort of issues going on either he does not want to race or he has a confidence issue 

cant expect low averaged reserves to score double figures all the time 

harrison and kelly for me look to have the making of good riders in them

• Like 1

1 minute ago, scaramanga said:

kelly has had some good rides 

harry has shown what he can do but there seams to be some sort of issues going on either he does not want to race or he has a confidence issue 

cant expect low averaged reserves to score double figures all the time 

harrison and kelly for me look to have the making of good riders in them

I had a look into harry because at the start of the season he was off 7. I believe he had a crash last season so would explain his confidence issues.

You can tell its confidence as he's a decent rider when he gets ahead on the first bend but when he's behind he just doesn't fight for it.

I've watched a few highlights off him from last couple year and he's miles better.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, WokJoWe said:

I had a look into harry because at the start of the season he was off 7. I believe he had a crash last season so would explain his confidence issues.

You can tell its confidence as he's a decent rider when he gets ahead on the first bend but when he's behind he just doesn't fight for it.

I've watched a few highlights off him from last couple year and he's miles better.

Thats where our problem is, we should of replaced harry when he was on a 7 point average, he wasn't even on the pace, now he's down to 3 point ave there is no scope to replace him. 

• Like 1

Can only go by what I read on updates, but comets beaten by a better team. When you have a 15 year old at no 2 scoring like a heat leader, and a reserve who can score a bag full of points. It's game over. Onwards and upwards, but I can't see who, if any riders are available to change the team with, let's enjoy the rest of the season watching the comets at the fantastic Northside areana, 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Would take big / unpopular changes to fit Bickley into the side. Double change and having to fit back under the 42 limit. Not run numbers but would need to be Sam, Ace or Luke out with Crang to accommodate Bickley and a 3 pointer.  

Ace ?? Are you mental... The kids going places & he's 1 of the best prospects that our country ( speedway ) wise will produce as he's got a great family behind him not to mention management & sponsors 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Justgotmecpc said:

Ace ?? Are you mental... The kids going places & he's 1 of the best prospects that our country ( speedway ) wise will produce as he's got a great family behind him not to mention management & sponsors 

Was never seriously suggesting the change just stating that to fit Bickley in it would mean taking out another heat leader and frankly that would be daft. 

Team was built to always have a strong reserve but Harrys drop in form/ability has cost the Comets dearly. Big deficit in the cup and play offs a big ask but being up, running and competitive is a success for the first season back. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Was never seriously suggesting the change just stating that to fit Bickley in it would mean taking out another heat leader and frankly that would be daft. 

Team was built to always have a strong reserve but Harrys drop in form/ability has cost the Comets dearly. Big deficit in the cup and play offs a big ask but being up, running and competitive is a success for the first season back. 

I can't understand why anyone would want bickley in? He's retired for a reason. He is never going to make it as a speedway rider. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Comets have to take some of the blame for not replacing Harry when he was on a higher average, could even have kept Dugard when Harrison came back in.

Of course their policy may have been - everyone is in the team for the season regardless of form - if so credit to them for that attitude, but it does mean less chance of titles.

Edited by szkocjasid
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, WokJoWe said:

Sam is a good rider. Inconsistent but he's young and has something about him. I don't know how it'd sit if you get rid of his brother though

You wouldn't last long in Speedway of you got upset at a friend / family member getting dropped, especially one who's dropped 4 points from his average. That being said I can't see Harry getting dropped now he's on a 3.00 average.

4 hours ago, geoff100 said:

Good racing today esp from young ace,we were never going to win but ref didnt help young boughen puts the bike down twice and gets put back in,ace lucky not to be put out but then gets taking wide in next race makes a good hard but fair pass and is excluded. changes need to be made to get bickley in the team we need a heat leader!

Don't see any chance that will happen, even if Bickley wanted to sign, I wouldn't go for him because the team would have to be nearly 4 points weaker than they currently are!

5 hours ago, bloom89 said:

Quite a win for Leicester and I think that is the tie over, can’t see Thompson doing as bad at home as he did today and with Boughen flying and a strong reserve should see them through. A bit of pressure on the worky heatleaders when your reserves aren’t scoring much because of the poor form of others it’s perhaps pushed Harrison into the main body a bit earlier than he should be especially after injury. Just going by the updates racing seems like it was decent again though and another self made track which is only good for the sport… wish the comets all the best for this season and years to come.

Harrison has a 6.80 average, was never going to stay at reserve with that kind of scoring!

9 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Harrison has a 6.80 average, was never going to stay at reserve with that kind of scoring!

Sadly this topic is becoming a reflection of British speedway and it's crazy average driven team building system. In Luke's case comes back after injury scores fairly well and ends up in the main body of the team after 4 meetings which in our opinion for a new rider is a ridiculous state of affairs. Yesterday showed for us even though we were happy with his scores it's a big leap forward due to the way the heats are. 

• Like 3

H McGurk's decline has led to Harrison's promotion, one of those things you couldn't see coming. In the long run it'll do him good but its a steep curve for the young man at the moment.

• Like 1

Also a skewed fixture list which has seen Worky run 5 home vs 1 away fixture. Luke is equally prolific on the road so his average would have still risen but perhaps not as steeply. In contrast it shows the alarming lack of form of Harry as away his scores were often not great in previous years. No team will drop a 3 pointer who has been a 7 in the past but there is a limit to how many chances people get.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

Sadly this topic is becoming a reflection of British speedway and it's crazy average driven team building system. In Luke's case comes back after injury scores fairly well and ends up in the main body of the team after 4 meetings which in our opinion for a new rider is a ridiculous state of affairs. Yesterday showed for us even though we were happy with his scores it's a big leap forward due to the way the heats are. 

I don’t think he’s been helped by a couple of his teammates dropping nearly 6 points off there average between them either in fairness. 

• Like 1