British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

British GP Cardiff Saturday 2nd September

3 hours ago, iainb said:

Interesting post on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/SpeedwayGP/status/1698281487244595332

When asked why no Manchester GP in 2024, SGP actually replied to a tweet with the answer "Contracted to 2024"... I wonder if anything can be read into that? As WBD have generally ditched all of the "Destination" tracks in favour of "Traditional" tracks

What does that mean though.... I thought cardiff was out of contract after this year hence the rumours of a move to belle vue?

16 minutes ago, eric i said:

What does that mean though.... I thought cardiff was out of contract after this year hence the rumours of a move to belle vue?

Maybe it was extended a year due to covid? Or was 2024 all along? Or they've done a1 year rolling extension?

Looked at a hotel this morning for two nights next year then looked a few minutes ago price had went up by about £300, there is though a four bed apartment for £16k.

40 minutes ago, topaz325 said:

Looked at a hotel this morning for two nights next year then looked a few minutes ago price had went up by about £300, there is though a four bed apartment for £16k.

Got a premier Inn booked yesterday just after date announced, just ove £300 for 2 notes, can live with that price, looked later as a friend was trying to find somewhere, same hotel £600 !!! Other 4* hotels £600 a nite !!! Not a bit of wonder people think twice about going, can do Poland cheaper

3 hours ago, Neila said:

Got a premier Inn booked yesterday just after date announced, just ove £300 for 2 notes, can live with that price, looked later as a friend was trying to find somewhere, same hotel £600 !!! Other 4* hotels £600 a nite !!! Not a bit of wonder people think twice about going, can do Poland cheaper

Nail hit firmly on the head... This country is f''ed. I decided this year to do the full week in Poland for the SWC over a weekend in Cardiff, because it was a similar price (despite the length difference) Poland is way more interesting and the racing/atmosphere is was better over there anyway... But mainly the price is what swayed it for me.

Edited by Diamonds85

I drive in early Saturday and then drive out Saturday evening. Took the lad and his school mate, we had packed lunches. No need to buy food, parked the car all day for £14, drank free monster in the fanzone ( not the best drink I have to say). So it can be done on a budget.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Deano said:

I drive in early Saturday and then drive out Saturday evening. Took the lad and his school mate, we had packed lunches. No need to buy food, parked the car all day for £14, drank free monster in the fanzone ( not the best drink I have to say). So it can be done on a budget.

Ok, but If you live the other end of the country ....er England.

Is belle vue even big enough to hold the crowds that Cardiff attracts? Yes they don’t fill the stadium however is belle vue big enough to hold the same amount of people as who were there on Saturday.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, topaz325 said:

Ok, but If you live the other end of the country ....er England.

True, I am still three hours away in the car.

29 minutes ago, Mr Blobby said:

Is belle vue even big enough to hold the crowds that Cardiff attracts? Yes they don’t fill the stadium however is belle vue big enough to hold the same amount of people as who were there on Saturday.

With temporary stands on bend 3-4 about 8500 max. That’s similar to some gp’s this year.

Just now, OveFundinFan said:

With temporary stands on bend 3-4 about 8500 max. That’s similar to some gp’s this year.

Chris Morton told the Nuneaton Speedway Supporters Club meeting a while back, that it's not adding the temporary stands that is the problem. It's ensuring that the increased number of people could evacuate the stadium safely in the event of an emergency. 

I t will repeat what i said last year. How do you get the twenty thousand that turned  up in cardiff on saturday into  manchester that holds about 8000, Why do we want to every year want to move it to a venue miles out from any facilities?  And as for people thinking cardiff is expensive do you really think london would be cheaper. Ive been 17 times and will be back next year, Cardiff is a great day out and if you dont agree dont go

• Like 9

7 hours ago, False dawn said:

Chris Morton told the Nuneaton Speedway Supporters Club meeting a while back, that it's not adding the temporary stands that is the problem. It's ensuring that the increased number of people could evacuate the stadium safely in the event of an emergency. 

Presumably the stadium, with temporary stands in use, was approved as safe in 2016 for the world team championship on 2016.

16 hours ago, eric i said:

Contracts can be renewed.

Rumours of a move to Belle Vue are basically wishful thinking in some quarters. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, iainb said:

I'm not at all familiar with Ice Hockey... what are the similarities?

The crossover between the fan bases for starters, especially in the Midlands, and places like Swindon, Manchester and Sheffield. Scotland too. People watch speedway in the summer and hockey in the winter. 

As far I can see, the only similarity between speedway and cricket is that matches can be washed out.