16 minutes ago, davieb1 said:

King's Lynn

Wolverhampton

Peterborough all doubtful for next season 

Which leaves just 4 teams assuming they all run 

Who can bolster the Premier 

Or would they create a new league containing everyone

Discuss 

With question marks over a few championship tracks, Edinburgh ( stadium issues ) Plymouth ( lack of a crowd ) Birmingham ( lack of a crowd and massive financial losses allegedly) and possibly one or two who haven’t gone public with their concerns, then the options are limited.

Only Oxford making noises about moving ‘up’ but to what ?

1 hour ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

With question marks over a few championship tracks, Edinburgh ( stadium issues ) Plymouth ( lack of a crowd ) Birmingham ( lack of a crowd and massive financial losses allegedly) and possibly one or two who haven’t gone public with their concerns, then the options are limited.

Only Oxford making noises about moving ‘up’ but to what ?

If it is to be one league then I cannot see the fixed race nights remaining. The standard is more likely to be closer to Championship-Plus level, which may well mean that the SGP- level riders will either be shared out or more likely will not feature due to costs!

• Like 1

FWIW, my thoughts...

Race on fixed nights so many of the riders can race for every team in both leagues as and when needed..

Let Poland dictate at short notice whether riders can race over here, and plan in meetings on Thursdays in the top league so Poland can use those riders when they rearrange fixtures, meaning plenty of guest opportunities..

Use the TV money to pay for superstars rather than use it to market the sport, or reduce admission prices, in fact, increase the cost of admission by at least a quid to help pay these riders..

Set a team strength level that will ensure all teams are equal and see those teams who the speedway fanbase suggest "have no bloody chance", pre season, struggle throughout the season, and possibly close down before the season ends, or, at least, need a sabbatical to regroup..

Build all rules and regs with enough ambiguity and subjectivity to ensure that they are open to manipulation, which will hopefully then deliver the required level of astonishment and disillusionment in even its most loyal fanbase..

Possibly, most importantly, each promotion work in splendid isolation, rather than as a collective for the generic betterment of the sport which supersedes any individual ambition, as it really is important that your team wins the league because the operating model means it delivers such high reward and publicity...

I think this could work, a bit radical, but worth a go surely? ;)

Edited by mikebv
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

I don't think I can face another thread about what needs to happen to British Speedway... it's all been said...

Unless @davieb1 is Rob Godfrey in disguise ;)

I've noticed a lot of new accounts commenting on these topics all of a sudden. 

To play along... how about a countdown clock on the centre at all tracks :D

Edited by iainb

5 minutes ago, iainb said:

I don't think I can face another thread about what needs to happen to British Speedway... it's all been said...

I'm sorry but whose Rob Godfrey?? 

I've had this account for several years so I'm not a newbie but if you think I am this Rob Godfrey 

Then I'm happy for you ☺️ 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, mikebv said:

FWIW, my thoughts...

Race on fixed nights so many of the riders can race for every team in both leagues as and when needed..

Let Poland dictate at short notice whether riders can race over here, and plan in meetings on Thursdays in the top league so Poland can use those riders when they rearrange fixtures, meaning plenty of guest opportunities..

Use the TV money to pay for superstars rather than use it to market the sport, or reduce admission prices, in fact, increase the cost of admission by at least a quid to help pay these riders..

Set a team strength level that will ensure all teams are equal and see those teams who the speedway fanbase suggest "have no bloody chance", pre season, struggle throughout the season, and possibly close down before the season ends, or, at least, need a sabbatical to regroup..

Build all rules and regs with enough ambiguity and subjectivity to ensure that they are open to manipulation, which will hopefully then deliver the required level of astonishment and disillusionment in even its most loyal fanbase..

Possibly, most importantly, each promotion work in splendid isolation, rather than as a collective for the generic betterment of the sport which supersedes any individual ambition, as it really is important that your team wins the league because the operating model means it delivers such high reward and publicity...

I think this could work, a bit radical, but worth a go surely? ;)

all ready been tried.:cheers:

4 minutes ago, DazS said:

all ready been tried.:cheers:

Damn...

Sure I was on to a winner....:D

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, davieb1 said:

I'm sorry but whose Rob Godfrey?? 

I've had this account for several years so I'm not a newbie but if you think I am this Rob Godfrey 

Then I'm happy for you ☺️ 

Ahh... to live in a world not knowing who Rob Godfrey is, I envy you, I really do :)

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

Birmingham ( lack of a crowd and massive financial losses allegedly) 

Have you not heard the news? Birmingham are moving to the renovated Alexander stadium and are going to hold a Grand Prix!

34 minutes ago, iainb said:

Please don't imply aliases and multi names are used on this forum as this could offend "King-Keir-Brasso-Polish-fan". I would hate his cover to be blown! B)

• Haha 3

I’d not worry about next season just yet it’s only July there is plenty of racing still to come this season - next season who knows but for some clubs just enjoy what’s left of this season as it could be some clubs last 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skidder1 said:

If it is to be one league then I cannot see the fixed race nights remaining. The standard is more likely to be closer to Championship-Plus level, which may well mean that the SGP- level riders will either be shared out or more likely will not feature due to costs!

I think those riders would have to be let go, the only fair way you could do it would be for everyone to have one but we all know it would end up extremely lop sided like 1995/96 with the haves and have nots. 

The sport would need to reinvent itself with strict points money and ideally a lower admission to get new people in. Almost burning it to the ground to let it regrow.