British Speedway Forum

Astounds me that some people will try to justify someone not taking a drugs/alcohol test or thinking that testing isn’t necessary. 

Not only does it protect the integrity of the sport it also protects the competitors.

Not taking a test should carry the same penalty as a positive test, if not a more severe one. 

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, Technik said:

Whilst I agree that professional sportspeople need to be aware about what they are taking it is near impossible to know what goes into over the counter drugs & with different brands having slightly different make ups. In the past I have asked a pharmasist for drugs that conform with the IOF list & the reply I got was "I think these are OK"... Not exactly inspiring confidence when you get that answer from someone who should be regarded as an expert.

All that said when selected for a drug test the selected competitor will be asked to declare any & all medication they have used recently & that will include even the most innocent sounding such as birth control, paracetomol or even a covid jab

I agree some could be caught out by “ over the counter” prescription medication,but like Kyle Howarth situation if you declare what you have taken and it tally’s with test outcome you will be exonerated.Pharmacist’s can’t be expected to know everything regarding banned drugs in sport,he just reads the label.Rider confidentiality seems to stop SCB explaining different reasons for length of bans.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

I agree some could be caught out by “ over the counter” prescription medication,but like Kyle Howarth situation if you declare what you have taken and it tally’s with test outcome you will be exonerated.Pharmacist’s can’t be expected to know everything regarding banned drugs in sport,he just reads the label.Rider confidentiality seems to stop SCB explaining different reasons for length of bans.

I recall one rider being put under the spotlight for taking "nightnurse."

14 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

I recall one rider being put under the spotlight for taking "nightnurse."

Bootsy

• Thanks 1

Medications prescribed by a doctor or bought directly over the counter may contain prohibited substances. It is an athlete’s responsibility to check their medication before using it even if they have used it before.

It is also important to note that medications bought abroad may contain different substances to those bought in the UK.

Key Points to Remember

• A user can refer to the FAQ section within Global DRO to make sure they understand the search results correctly.

• Annual changes to the Prohibited List come into effect each year on 1 January. Therefore, it is important for an athlete to re-check the status of any medications they continue to use at the start of each year on Global DRO.

• If the medication is prohibited, athletes should use our TUE Wizard to find out if they need a Therapeutic Use Exemption (TUE) and how to apply. Unsure what a TUE is? Visit the Medicine and TUE Hub.

• If an athlete is unable to find the medication they are looking for, they should contact UKAD with the medication name and list of active ingredients via email to substance@ukad.org.uk.

• https://www.ukad.org.uk/checking-medications

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

There was the Scottish Skier who bought If I remember correctly Vicks Nasal Spray over the counter in America/Canada and failed a test as the one over there contains something on the banned list whereas the UK one is OK.

I always find it amazing how many professional cyclists suffer from asthma

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Medications prescribed by a doctor or bought directly over the counter may contain prohibited substances. It is an athlete’s responsibility to check their medication before using it even if they have used it before.

It is also important to note that medications bought abroad may contain different substances to those bought in the UK.

Key Points to Remember

• A user can refer to the FAQ section within Global DRO to make sure they understand the search results correctly.

• Annual changes to the Prohibited List come into effect each year on 1 January. Therefore, it is important for an athlete to re-check the status of any medications they continue to use at the start of each year on Global DRO.

• If the medication is prohibited, athletes should use our TUE Wizard to find out if they need a Therapeutic Use Exemption (TUE) and how to apply. Unsure what a TUE is? Visit the Medicine and TUE Hub.

• If an athlete is unable to find the medication they are looking for, they should contact UKAD with the medication name and list of active ingredients via email to substance@ukad.org.uk.

• https://www.ukad.org.uk/checking-medications

Like you say no excuses really.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Ben91 said:

Astounds me that some people will try to justify someone not taking a drugs/alcohol test or thinking that testing isn’t necessary. 

Not only does it protect the integrity of the sport it also protects the competitors.

Not taking a test should carry the same penalty as a positive test, if not a more severe one. 

why are you not making a case that everyone should be tested. doing it randomly might catch the odd one, but doing it to everyone bingo. but then that would probably cost to much, and we dont want to over spend on riders safety do we.

12 minutes ago, DazS said:

why are you not making a case that everyone should be tested. doing it randomly might catch the odd one, but doing it to everyone bingo. but then that would probably cost to much, and we dont want to over spend on riders safety do we.

The possibility of being tested should be enough to discourage athletes from taking drugs (performance enhancing or otherwise) or drinking.

The point of testing isn’t to catch as many people as possible. It is to keep the sport clean and deter competitors from cheating, which in turn can put other competitors in danger and hurt the reputation of the sport. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fromafar said:

noone said the recent case was over the counter

9 minutes ago, stevehone said:

noone said the recent case was over the counter

I know,I was just giving an example.

2 hours ago, DazS said:

but its ok for a few to slip the net.

Well you could test everybody at every event but that would cost a couple of grand a time. Are people willing to accept a £2  admission fee increase for this?

Edited by arnieg
  • Like 2

riders safety is paramount, but only when it suits certain agendas.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1