British Speedway Forum
Wee Eck

Glasgow training track

Glad to see this finally happening, with this and Edinburgh doing the same hopefully see more Scottish riders coming through. Wonder if might consider widening the straights it the main track now too

9 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

Glad to see this finally happening, with this and Edinburgh doing the same hopefully see more Scottish riders coming through. Wonder if might consider widening the straights it the main track now too

Certainly widening the entrance to bend three which has always been a bit square. 

Just now, Beirao said:

Certainly widening the entrance to bend three which has always been a bit square. 

I would say it's the one flaw with the track that was highlighted in the gp challenge when the top boys were really going for it

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

I would say it's the one flaw with the track that was highlighted in the gp challenge when the top boys were really going for it

I dunno, we had heats with 7 passes in that meeting. It wasn’t a problem for the riders that accepted you couldn’t take it flat. Some of them seemed to think it was a Polish track, which it’s not. Wouldn’t be terrible for them to wider it a fraction but there was some incredible racing through that corner in the challenge meeting.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Noelinho said:

I dunno, we had heats with 7 passes in that meeting. It wasn’t a problem for the riders that accepted you couldn’t take it flat. Some of them seemed to think it was a Polish track, which it’s not. Wouldn’t be terrible for them to wider it a fraction but there was some incredible racing through that corner in the challenge meeting.

Absolutely was some great racing, was mostly alluding to number of crashes early in meeting. Sure I read somewhere kubera(?) Told Marcin was dangerous with straights before he signed. Just think if track can be improved should look into it now there's no constraints 

43 minutes ago, Noelinho said:

At present you can't get two riders going into bend three side by side. It's too square for the one on the outside to have a line to ride. Widening the entry would help. 

• Like 1

On 8/2/2023 at 6:40 PM, Beirao said:

At present you can't get two riders going into bend three side by side. It's too square for the one on the outside to have a line to ride. Widening the entry would help. 

The football pitch is already half the size of other football pitches so can't see it happening and when you look at it as a spectator on the third bend it is well wide enough and wider than many speedway tracks.  Seems to be those that want to treat the whole track a circle flatout the whole time and usually not a problem, its more whether there is a bump at that bend and usually fine when it is smooth and no bump or dip, that's the only thing really.

Worth mentioning as well that the overhead google image is out of date as the whole track has been widened since that image was taken, and the track all round is now wider than most tracks with the football pitch now absolutely tiny.

Edited by GS550

11 minutes ago, GS550 said:

The football pitch is already half the size of other football pitches so can't see it happening and when you look at it as a spectator on the third bend it is well wide enough and wider than many speedway tracks.  Seems to be those that want to treat the whole track a circle flatout the whole time and usually not a problem, its more whether there is a bump at that bend and usually fine when it is smooth and no bump or dip, that's the only thing really.

Worth mentioning as well that the overhead google image is out of date as the whole track has been widened since that image was taken, and the track all round is now wider than most tracks with the football pitch now absolutely tiny.

The football team have moved out..that's the point 

• Like 1

There is no football team anymore glasgow can do what they want its their track .. its been widened as far as I know ? & it's one of the fairer fast tracks in uk ...  

Playing devil's advocate. 

The straights at Glasgow are probably the widest of any in the UK. 

Could it be that with so many racing lines that if you go into turn 3 too shallow you end up riding it inside to out despite the banking 

If you go in wider you can ride the banking or cut back and ride it outside to in. 

Possibly just round off the inside line with no longer a requirement for a soccer corner flag. 

Overall I can't see how Glasgow or Redcar could be improved as medium to big track lengths but brilliant racing shape and banking. 

I much prefer to NSS which can just be a drag race who gets wheels in line first and longest. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, HGould said:

I much prefer to NSS which can just be a drag race who gets wheels in line first and longest. 

I agree, much though I do like the racing at NSS. I know there is a bias as I do live in Glasgow, but I'd love for the British final to be held at Ashfield - and to be honest, it would be good for it to move around a bit.

5 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Don’t really think the track needs altering.IMO 

The racing at Glasgow has in general been excellent entertainment but the promotion are always looking at further improvements as an ongoing basis.

It is up there with Redcar , Scunthorpe and Poole as one of the best.

For any Poole fans looking in (can’t believe I said that of course they are) I was being sarcastic mentioning Poole.

• Haha 2