British Speedway Forum
lisa-colette

Edinburgh Vs Poole 4th August

2 minutes ago, Beirao said:

Are there rules about who goes first in a double header? Might be wrong but would have thought the Birmingham fixture was rearranged first and that they should be the first meeting on the night. 

Sensible to put the ‘most important’ match on first - if it affects play-offs for example - in case of rain or accident curtailing the 30 heats.

9 minutes ago, NeilWatson said:

Sensible to put the ‘most important’ match on first - if it affects play-offs for example - in case of rain or accident curtailing the 30 heats.

Edinburgh v Birmingham may be the decisive one in settling sixth place. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Beirao said:

Poole might want to top the League for pick of opponents.

2 hours ago, iainb said:

There doesn't seem to be any minimum standard required. Is there? If I wanted a licence to ride and I've never slung a leg over a bike could/would I get one? And then if I bunged a promoter a brown paper bag full of cash, I'd be in the team!

Yep ridiculous as it seems/sounds you can buy a full pro licence straight off the bat, then bung the promotor as you say or even sponsor the club (as has been done countless times) and get rides.....terrifying really. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Beirao said:

And as such, might be deemed more-important by the host club....

However, didn't it used to be the case that, at a double-header the team which had the furthest travel back home was taken first?

Never a rule, just an agreed procedure...

5 hours ago, Beirao said:

Are there rules about who goes first in a double header? Might be wrong but would have thought the Birmingham fixture was rearranged first and that they should be the first meeting on the night. 

Says on British Speedway website under fixtures Poole 7pm and Brum 8.45. 

4 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Poole might want to top the League for pick of opponents.

Poole already top the table.

17 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

So are we Edinburgh fans on Friday? ;)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

I've questioned this in the past though who is at most fault...the rider who grabs opportunities that they clearly are not ready for or the promotion who put said rider onto the track?

I always have and will lay the blame at the latter. 

I don't blame the rider, even if he's half a lap behind, he can treat it as free/paid practice. Not sure why a club chasing the play-offs would stick with a NL reserve on their Championship side?

2 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

If Poole are on  first or second I don't think it will make any difference to the result Poole are like Casey Jones and the Cannonball Express for anyone who's old enough to remember there's no stopping them now well had a few San miguels ,love them or hate them and why would you the Ford's know how to build a winning team be honest would you not have wanted them to rock up your team years ago I will be honest I don't want Poole to be as has been said a gaters track and it was not years ago when Fossengen,Eide,Preston (remember them ) etc were doing there stuff but reading the comments there was loads of passing v Redcar so summing up who knows who will be top probably Poole after Edinburgh meeting  after that who knows just so long as the final whoever we play (only kidding) is a good fitting end to the season

16 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Yep ridiculous as it seems/sounds you can buy a full pro licence straight off the bat,

The reason for racing licences is so that they can be removed if the rider is dangerous or drugged etc.: see Nick Morris.

3 hours ago, *JJ said:

The reason for racing licences is so that they can be removed if the rider is dangerous or drugged etc.: see Nick Morris.

Has one ever been removed for incompetence though? Other levels of motorsport you have to work up certain levels, even grasstrack requires reaching a certain amount of finals before being upgraded to a national licence and yet in theory if i purchased a club i could track any rider i liked even if they were grossly incompetent.

19 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Has one ever been removed for incompetence though? Other levels of motorsport you have to work up certain levels, even grasstrack requires reaching a certain amount of finals before being upgraded to a national licence and yet in theory if i purchased a club i could track any rider i liked even if they were grossly incompetent.

In theory ... but would anyone actually do this?

16 minutes ago, *JJ said:

In theory ... but would anyone actually do this?

But surely the point is that there should be rules in place to prevent such things before they happen? Jobs for the boys have always existed along with family ties, Heeps and Etheridge are examples of that, Simon Lambert would openly joke that he got extra time at Peterborough due to sponsor connections but where does it end? There are NL riders who have got chances longer than most because their family are club sponsors. Even in development leagues riders have been lapped, surely that level of disparity between competitors is plain dangerous. 

Not much can be done about existing riders but perhaps those coming through should have to adhere to certain standards? Only recently a non NL standard second halfer took 3 programmed rides in a CL match, on this occasion there were no issues but say they were off gate one, made the start and failed to turn taking all four riders into the fence....there would be uproar and something would be done after the event......once its too late.