British Speedway Forum
bigcatdiary

Peterborough v Sheffield - 21st Aug

4 hours ago, Mick Bratley said:

No they have refused to give the club any further leases. One of their arguments to get rid of Speedway is that they should be charging the club what they believe is a more realistic rental of £7k a meeting and not the (I guess) £2k they do currently. £7k per meeting would be unsustainable for any promoter and even £2k for a set of keys and no concessions, I think, is taking the piss.

Depends who the promoter is, how much they've got and whether they they can offset those costs in some way such as Frost allegedly said that he did with the Readypower publicity/marketing budget? We've always been a cash cow as you know, and this is on an entirely differently level but would save the track and facilities and be extremely useful ammunition going forward. If they'll not negotiate though then we're stuffed but that'll be useful info when we get sight of their planning application.

1 hour ago, Steve55 said:

I've just been having a quick check on this and it would appear my sky Q box recorded last nights meeting on eurosport 2 on series link so I'm wondering if that may have affected what was shown on my tv. I was defo watching on the discovery+ app. 

Tbf I always record eurosport on my bt box, in case I'm not about,  but I always watch on discovery app by choice if possible but might be a new factor I suppose.  Will have to delete recording next meeting to check.

22 hours ago, GeneralMelchett said:

That said re the pronunciation thing surely a bit of prep and asking the rider so how do you pronounce your name might be in order

Reminds me of a story which may or may not be urban myth...

BBC commentator asks Chelsea player, "how do you pronounce your name? Is it Mon-koo or Mon-cow?"

"It's 'Ken'".

You're right though. Pre meeting research costs nothing. It's disrespectful and unprofessional to repeatedly mispronounce a name all evening. Eurosport kinda used it as some sort of comedy sideshow. Very poor.

On a personal note, it's extremely rare that people pronounce my surname correctly. There are even a few in my office who still get it wrong, despite me having worked there over 30 years!

Quite pathetic really.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, King Jamie said:

BBC commentator asks Chelsea player, "how do you pronounce your name? Is it Mon-koo or Mon-cow?"

"It's 'Ken'".

You're right though. Pre meeting research costs nothing. It's disrespectful and unprofessional to repeatedly mispronounce a name all evening. Eurosport kinda used it as some sort of comedy sideshow. Very poor.

On a personal note, it's extremely rare that people pronounce my surname correctly. There are even a few in my office who still get it wrong, despite me having worked there over 30 years!

Quite pathetic really.

Agree - I am from the south and my first name is Ross for some reason oop ere in Yorkshire some people call me Russ - some have been corrected several times - eventually I gave up! 

it is just good manners to get someone’s name right! 

Edited by GeneralMelchett
  • Like 2

Watching speedway on Monday evenings on BT sport is now becoming a joke. This week's effort recorded only 7 heats and then stopped.The other evening got a whole load of motocross or some such rubbish.

Seems the schedules keep being  f****d about and my recording box cannot cope after I have put "record the series" 

Useless Discovery + coverage .

6 hours ago, BomberHammer said:

Being an old git,

Can someone explain to me. what this " man alive" thing is scottie  keeps going on about,

Thanks

Being an old git I'm surprised you've not heard it before - I remember it from my childhood 50 years ago! :D

If only the season was starting now.. finally we have a competitive team..especially now Iverson has turned up..great meeting and superb last race.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, King Jamie said:

"It's 'Ken'".

Quite pathetic really.

King Jamie!!! :t:How the devil are you? Not seen you/heard about you for ages :)

Anyway, I absolutely agree with you on pronunciation, the way they were laughing between themselves about was totally unprofessional. If I was doing a job like that, I would consider finding out how to pronounce names properly, part of that job. When the Panthers were at Sheffield last Thursday, Ryan Guest pronounced it "Voy-de-woo", which I'd guess is pretty much it, given my (very) limited knowledge of Polish linguistics. 

• Like 2

Just wait til Kelv' tells us 'Freddie' Lindgren was named after the famous Polish Composer Freddie Choppin' :)

35 minutes ago, Lefty said:

Just wait til Kelv' tells us 'Freddie' Lindgren was named after the famous Polish Composer Freddie Choppin' :)

Not before he's told us about the long covid and belt drive :D

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Tigerblade said:

King Jamie!!! :t:How the devil are you? Not seen you/heard about you for ages :)

Anyway, I absolutely agree with you on pronunciation, the way they were laughing between themselves about was totally unprofessional. If I was doing a job like that, I would consider finding out how to pronounce names properly, part of that job. When the Panthers were at Sheffield last Thursday, Ryan Guest pronounced it "Voy-de-woo", which I'd guess is pretty much it, given my (very) limited knowledge of Polish linguistics. 

I'm good, thanks. Keeping busy and out of trouble!

Unlike yourself, I'm still following Sheffield's finest football club :wink:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, King Jamie said:

I'm good, thanks. Keeping busy and out of trouble!

Unlike yourself, I'm still following Sheffield's finest football club :wink:

:o Sheffield FC :rofl:

• Haha 2

I was in sunny Edinburgh last week KJ and took in a Hearts match! A really good one at that!

1 hour ago, GeneralMelchett said:

I was in sunny Edinburgh last week KJ and took in a Hearts match! A really good one at that!

Rosenberg? That was some game!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, King Jamie said:

Rosenberg? That was some game!

aye - winner just in the nick of time! Fabulous atmosphere inside Tynecastle

• Like 1