British Speedway Forum
JamesHarris

Clubs that own their own tracks

Just wondering if anyone could help me with a question please? Which clubs in the UK actually own their own grounds? Off the top of my head I can think of Scunthorpe, Leicester and Redcar.

Thanks 

Edited by JamesHarris

1 minute ago, JamesHarris said:

Don't the local council own it?

Yes & no. Belle Vue borrowed finances from the council to build the stadium, if they clear that debt it's 100% theirs.

Technically, the NSS is Belle Vue owned. It will fall back in to the hands of the City if debt become out of control. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Deano said:

Can we add Workington and Glasgow?

Yep

5 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

Yes & no. Belle Vue borrowed finances from the council to build the stadium, if they clear that debt it's 100% theirs.

Technically, the NSS is Belle Vue owned. It will fall back in to the hands of the City if debt become out of control. 

Are we talking Stadium or Track, was not the Stadium built for the Commonwealth games and is therefore a legacy from those ?, the Speedway Track was added later to give us what we have today.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, heathen52 said:

Are we talking Stadium or Track, was not the Stadium built for the Commonwealth games and is therefore a legacy from those ?, the Speedway Track was added later to give us what we have today.

Wasn't built or used for the commonwealth games 

Leicester is Council owned I think and then let out on a looooong term lease

6 hours ago, heathen52 said:

The 2002 commonwealth games was held at a purpose built stadium in Manchester then subsequently bought by Manchester City after they moved from their old Maine Road home.

• Like 1

On 8/25/2023 at 9:16 AM, iainb said:

Leicester is Council owned I think and then let out on a looooong term lease

Stadium owned by former promoter David Helmsley. Built on land leased from council. Current promoters lease from Helmsley. As folk know, Lions up for sale which will include the stadium lease as an asset. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 1 valve said:

Stadium owned by former promoter David Helmsley. Built on land leased from council. Current promoters lease from Helmsley. As folk know, Lions up for sale which will include the stadium lease as an asset. 

The thing is if the council wanted to sell the land it doesn't matter if there's a kitten orphanage built on the land they can sell it... unless there's some kind of covenant in place

On 8/24/2023 at 10:27 PM, JamesHarris said:

Just wondering if anyone could help me with a question please? Which clubs in the UK actually own their own grounds? Off the top of my head I can think of Scunthorpe, Leicester and Redcar.

Thanks 

Redcar is council owned and part of a motorsports park.

• Like 1