British Speedway Forum
Ray Stadia

Gordon Kennett

22 minutes ago, fatface said:

A further thought...when he dropped into the National League in 1985, that coincided with the NL actually becoming a more entertaining league than the BL. Much more teams, less predictable, it's own stars and their own big occasions like the NLRC, Fours and Pairs packing them in. Gordon Kennett was probably the biggest NL star of that era.

Bob Dugard took Eastbourne down a league that season, Martin was due to be 16 mid season.

GK came down with us and it transformed the club again, we won the KOC in 1985,86 and 87 also won the league in 86 & 87.

GK came in and averaged 10.41, Martin averaged 5.69 in half a season then 9.69 in his first full season.

Happy days..

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, M.D said:

Bob Dugard took Eastbourne down a league that season, Martin was due to be 16 mid season.

GK came down with us and it transformed the club again, we won the KOC in 1985,86 and 87 also won the league in 86 & 87.

GK came in and averaged 10.41, Martin averaged 5.69 in half a season then 9.69 in his first full season.

Happy days..

Yep, definitely the late 80s were a great era for the National League and Gordon Kennett at the absolute forefront of that. Not just Eastbourne, but clubs like Mildenhall, Middlesbrough, Hackney, Wimbledon, Poole all in the mix too. A great mix of gnarly vets like Kennett, Les Collins, Simmo, Jessup, Wyer and rising stars like Dugard, Silver, Havelock, Loram. Scottish tours, Southern tours, lots of local derbies. It would be easy to say that Gordon Kennett was easing down in his career, but couldn't be further from the truth. He was always fully committed on any track on any given day. Also one of the great inside line riders.. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Ray Stadia said:

It gives me no pleasure to be the first to post that Gordon Kennett has passed away. What a great rider and ambassador for the sport. RIP Gordon

So sad - he was a top rider at NL level and regularly scored far too many points for Eastbourne at Arena! Thanks Gordon for the entertainment all those years ago 

• Like 2

Sad news. A rarity in sport, a competitor that did not divide opinion. He was respected and admired by all. 
I was lucky to see him throughout his long and illustrious career.

One of the great guys.

• Like 5

Such sad news to hear. Was only a few weeks ago he was at Berwick spectating. RIP 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, fatface said:

Yep, definitely the late 80s were a great era for the National League and Gordon Kennett at the absolute forefront of that. Not just Eastbourne, but clubs like Mildenhall, Middlesbrough, Hackney, Wimbledon, Poole all in the mix too. A great mix of gnarly vets like Kennett, Les Collins, Simmo, Jessup, Wyer and rising stars like Dugard, Silver, Havelock, Loram. Scottish tours, Southern tours, lots of local derbies. It would be easy to say that Gordon Kennett was easing down in his career, but couldn't be further from the truth. He was always fully committed on any track on any given day. Also one of the great inside line riders.. 

Yes some great names there...I witnessed Gordon during his early days at Eastbourne and rising thru' the ranks at Oxford, White City (special years) and back at Eastbourne.

• Like 2

Sad news for someone still relatively young, great rider and a pleasure to watch. RIP Gordon, and condolences to all the family and friends.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Yes some great names there...I witnessed Gordon during his early days at Eastbourne and rising thru' the ranks at Oxford, White City (special years) and back at Eastbourne.

Happy days for me 87-90 in the old NL 

• Like 1

Big shame, I recall Gordon riding for White City then Eastbourne at Hull 1977-81, and he didn't give Ole Olsen a fright in the 1978 World Final at Wembley.  RIP Gordon....

• Like 1

7 hours ago, fatface said:

A further thought...when he dropped into the National League in 1985, that coincided with the NL actually becoming a more entertaining league than the BL. Much more teams, less predictable, it's own stars and their own big occasions like the NLRC, Fours and Pairs packing them in. Gordon Kennett was probably the biggest NL star of that era.

Was the years that really got me back into the sport after a few away. Great days, lots of young and old talent combined.

Wasn't really a big Kennett fan, but I did respect him and especially his Oxford, White City days and he was great to watch at Eastbourne

RIP

• Like 2

Very sad news, Gordon was at Berwick a few weeks ago as spectator and was a welcome guest.

RIP.

• Like 1

I saw a lot of Gordon at White City, where he was a real star. Someone earlier mentioned seeing him riding long-track style at Belle Vue and he cetainly did that at Wood Lane. One of the main men in the league, but I felt rather under-rated at the time. He was formidable again whenhe dropped down at Eastbourne and there were some great battles between the Dons and the Eagles.

• Like 1