British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
CTD26

National Development League Riders’ Championship @ Workington 24/09/23 2:00PM

5 hours ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

Even though its protected riders choose where they want to ride they are self employed. With riders choosing a team event they risk a ban from next national league meeting. However because there won't be a national league there's no risk. 

To me this is very much a self interest reply that dumps all over any rules. This is exactly the stuff that creates the mickey mouse sport accusations  aimed at Speedway. 

23 hours ago, Neila said:

Who has stated they are not running any team ?? Andrew bain said after the Kent meeting they have/are in talks/meetings  with bspa with regards to next season 

In talks, yes as the Championship , or NDL if there is one , needs Workington but he has stated quite openly at practice sessions and meetings he is troubled by the costs of team racing and has said it on several occasions that he would just run practice sessions as they make a good profit and possibly some open meetings to put funds back into the account as crowds dwindled towards the end of the season.

Hopefully he has changed his mind .  After all the time, effort and funds he has put in he is entitled to do what he thinks is best, but upping his wage bill by ten times and not matching that with increasing crowd numbers has got to be a factor.

• Like 2

Real shame if we lost NDL and to me NJL is struggling with any direction and rider commitment Workington have supported both

55 minutes ago, Binman said:

Real shame if we lost NDL and to me NJL is struggling with any direction and rider commitment Workington have supported both

IMO they are paying wages to at least 50%of riders that have no chance of improving to any significance in the sport (probably the bigger pointsmoney)The youngsters dont get any benefit from losing points money to these riders.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SteelShoe said:

To me this is very much a self interest reply that dumps all over any rules. This is exactly the stuff that creates the mickey mouse sport accusations  aimed at Speedway. 

Can't disagree but in a sport where you want to advertise your skills at the highest level why compete in a competition that won't exist next year. Even if you aren't aware this is happening 99%of riders are 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

Can't disagree but in a sport where you want to advertise your skills at the highest level why compete in a competition that won't exist next year. Even if you aren't aware this is happening 99%of riders are 

The "honour" of being it's last winner?

• Like 1

A lot of fuss over Thompson & Ablitt riding at Scunthorpe but I don't understand why that means there are nine changes :blink:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

A lot of fuss over Thompson & Ablitt riding at Scunthorpe but I don't understand why that means there are nine changes :blink:

That’s just the norm these days in all Championship Individual Events.Riders doas they please.

Edited by Fromafar
  • Like 1

BSN charging £11.99 for BSN subscribers? 

15 hours ago, StevePark said:

The "honour" of being it's last winner?

With all the changes drop outs and riders choosing to be elsewhere does that not tell you its not held in the highest regard

1 hour ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

With all the changes drop outs and riders choosing to be elsewhere does that not tell you its not held in the highest regard

So, in that case, if the riders can't be bothered, why should the fans?  Got to feel sorry for Workington promotion.  It's probably costing them money to host the event and the field doesn't really have a Riders Championship feel to it, so fans might choose to stay away.  On top of that, there is a big announcement after the meeting and IF it is that they are moving up to Championship level, they appear to have little choice as, if it is to be believed, there will be no NDL next season.  Just hope they aren't being asked to move up too quickly as it could all end in tears, but I really hope not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve Shovlar said:

BSN charging £11.99 for BSN subscribers? 

Not in the season ticket package an extra meeting,  spend some money Mr shovler and see what a proper track looks like 

3 hours ago, StevePark said:

So, in that case, if the riders can't be bothered, why should the fans?  Got to feel sorry for Workington promotion.  It's probably costing them money to host the event and the field doesn't really have a Riders Championship feel to it, so fans might choose to stay away.  On top of that, there is a big announcement after the meeting and IF it is that they are moving up to Championship level, they appear to have little choice as, if it is to be believed, there will be no NDL next season.  Just hope they aren't being asked to move up too quickly as it could all end in tears, but I really hope not.

Good post on the money. I`ve attended the Championship Riders Championship and the Championship Pairs this season,  both had riders missing and in the case of the Pairs riders that early in the meeting looked like they would rather not be there. Fans deserve better.