British Speedway Forum
PotteringAround

New Club for 2024?

On 10/14/2023 at 5:53 PM, Sotonian said:

I live there and have heard nothing about one.

Ringwood

2 hours ago, K7KDD said:

Ringwood

Hardly Southampton!

3 hours ago, HGould said:

One place that may be viable would be on land adjacent to the Black Country museum and the old Freightliner hub nd Zoo and Castle. 

It must have been seriously considered many times and discarded for some reason. 

That area has been looked at and an approach made to the BCM but the BCM are not interested in leasing/selling any of the land that they own for Speedway, as for the old Freightliner Depot it was earmarked by the late Nigel Pearson for a joint project with Gornal FC but Dudley MBC in there wisdom had earmarked it for other developments, to my way of thinking that land was/is ideal and would have brought more visiters to both the BCM and Dudley Zoo but again Speedway seems to be frowned upon and placed at the bottom when it comes to locating a new Track for Speedway, basically despite the public protestations that Speedway is wanted in Dudley neither major political party has made the slightest effort to help or encourage the return of the Heathens, in fact at the present time we can't even get a reply to emails/letters sent to various Councillors of Dudley MBC and I include the Council leader and Deputy leader in those comments.

Edited by heathen52
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, heathen52 said:

The last I heard was that Ringwood was the subject of a planning application for other developments not Sports related.

https://www.salisburyjournal.co.uk/news/23299680.future-ringwood-raceway-remains-uncertain-council-set-decide/

Matchams is owned by one of Clark osbournes mates a stock car man who he quoted at the Brandon appeal. He is also part of his joke Swindon motorsports venture.

13 hours ago, heathen52 said:

That area has been looked at and an approach made to the BCM but the BCM are not interested in leasing/selling any of the land that they own for Speedway, as for the old Freightliner Depot it was earmarked by the late Nigel Pearson for a joint project with Gornal FC but Dudley MBC in there wisdom had earmarked it for other developments, to my way of thinking that land was/is ideal and would have brought more visiters to both the BCM and Dudley Zoo but again Speedway seems to be frowned upon and placed at the bottom when it comes to locating a new Track for Speedway, basically despite the public protestations that Speedway is wanted in Dudley neither major political party has made the slightest effort to help or encourage the return of the Heathens, in fact at the present time we can't even get a reply to emails/letters sent to various Councillors of Dudley MBC and I include the Council leader and Deputy leader in those comments.

It's a shame the Refs box and old domed Pits weren't taken to BCM when Dudley Wood closed. 

They were Black Country folklaw after all. 

• Haha 1

Obviously a lot of speculation over a new club for 2024 but if they can’t confirm at the upcoming AGM that they are running will they be allowed to join before the season starts? If promoters know and are sworn to secrecy will this affect the team averages for 2024?

19 hours ago, heathen52 said:

Indeed, a friend of mine was involved in Gornal at the time, he said "you know about speedway dont you? Have a look at these" i've still got the drawings of the proposed stadium somewhere. 

49 minutes ago, Chadster said:

Peter Oakes running a piece in the Star saying that the 'new' track might be Brafield.

No surprise if you read the thread. Peter usually has his finger on the pulse. 

I think the main problem with Braefield is that whilst it's within an hour of a massive catchment area its actually in the middle of nowhere. 

Edited by HGould
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HGould said:

No surprise if you read the thread. Peter usually has his finger on the pulse. 

I think the main problem with Brafield is that whilst it's within an hour of a massive catchment area its actually in the middle of nowhere. 

Brafield is actually a long way from the middle of nowhere!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Chadster said:

Peter Oakes running a piece in the Star saying that the 'new' track might be Brafield.

The proposed "new track" is Brafield, but I doubt it happening now.

With Wolves and Peterborough closing, Brafield was a fallback option for the BSPL to keep the Premiership at 6 teams.  But with Birmingham looking likely to move up and become the 6th team, Brafield won't be needed.

1 hour ago, RoundTheBoards said:

With Wolves and Peterborough closing

Don't give up on Peterborough yet. It's been a big week locally https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/sport/other-sport/the-potential-saviours-of-peterborough-speedway-will-fight-to-the-bitter-end-4376067

https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/news/politics/council/cambridgeshire-mp-shailesh-vara-says-no-stone-should-be-left-unturned-to-save-peterborough-speedway-track-4378647

And AEPG got a right kicking this week from the planning and environmental committee that they've got to sell their 10 year building site to https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/news/politics/council/peterborough-council-refuses-application-for-car-storage-depot-at-east-of-england-showground-4375697

Edited by Crump99
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, RoundTheBoards said:

The proposed "new track" is Brafield, but I doubt it happening now.

With Wolves and Peterborough closing, Brafield was a fallback option for the BSPL to keep the Premiership at 6 teams.  But with Birmingham looking likely to move up and become the 6th team, Brafield won't be needed.

Which kind of makes the statement made from Phil Morris at the BE appeal seem a bit daft.