British Speedway Forum
Jaizer

Glasgow Vs Redcar, play offs 230923

44 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

Only days this week look half possible weatherwise are Thursday and Friday. One of which we're no allowed to run and other we're at Redcar. 

Glasgow are at Redcar on Wednesday. So Friday will be fine if weather wins on Tuesday

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

Only days this week look half possible weatherwise are Thursday and Friday. One of which we're no allowed to run and other we're at Redcar. 

Surely the Monday and Thursday Premiership fixtures are only 'prioritised'?!  There is no rule stopping a Championship meeting taking place as long as there is no clash and no guest rider anomalies!

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, gmarsbar2 said:

Glasgow are at Redcar on Wednesday. So Friday will be fine if weather wins on Tuesday

Don't know why had it in my head it was Friday. Hopeful can get it completed then 

If a team has to forfeit because of the weather we should all just pack up & go home that just can't happen I'm sorry ..the sport will be beyond ridiculous & frankly many fans would not go back & I might be one of them as what's the point in all that money spent hours dedicated to following a team ...no matter what it can't be allowed to happen to any team 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Barabas said:

If a team has to forfeit because of the weather we should all just pack up & go home that just can't happen I'm sorry ..the sport will be beyond ridiculous & frankly many fans would not go back & I might be one of them as what's the point in all that money spent hours dedicated to following a team ...no matter what it can't be allowed to happen to any team 

Totally agree, with the closure of Monmore I'm thinking I might give up on it now but if the weather decides results it's one Mickey Mouse decision too far for me

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bruno said:

Totally agree, with the closure of Monmore I'm thinking I might give up on it now but if the weather decides results it's one Mickey Mouse decision too far for me

Think a lot of people will be thinking the same.

• Like 3

Surely if a team loses points based on weather cancellation, that can be challenged legally, season has until end of October to be completed, I would be extremely angry to lose out because of rain, West of Scotland and Manchester get more than their fair share of rain throughout the year

• Like 2

13 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

I find it strange they allow the league cut-off date to be extended, presumably as it's important for all teams to have an equal chance of qualifying. But then don't extend the cut-off date, once the play-offs start!

3 hours ago, Neila said:

How long do you extend the deadline?? Bonfire nite, Xmas day ? Same happens every year, they say gonna be better next year, just the same blank dates in summer. Then trying to jam fixtures in when the weather is iffy at the best 

Well if I had my way, no play-offs, top of the league are Champions, got until Oct 31st to complete fixtures

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Barabas said:

Don't forget the summer / jubilee trophy from last year. Fans paid to watch qualifying matches, but one team pulled out of the final, which still hasn't been raced!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Weeyin said:

Surely if a team loses points based on weather cancellation, that can be challenged legally, season has until end of October to be completed, I would be extremely angry to lose out because of rain, West of Scotland and Manchester get more than their fair share of rain throughout the year

Does it not happen in cricket?

2 hours ago, Jaizer said:

They seemed to prioritise the bsn trophy this season early on. A lot of league matches got kicked down the road for that. I sort of see why because seems daft having a final for a trophy qualified for in spring in October. But if the outcome is a highly unsatisfying ending like teams qualifying/ knocked out of the one competition that matters because of the weather then I think it was a mistake 

I glad they prioritised the BSN trophy, avoided the shambles of last year's jubilee league, or teams reaching a final in May, only to race it in October.

There was enough weeks in the year to race fixtures, too many gaps early on, then clubs planned to be busy in August, so there was no contingency for rain-offs late in the season (except extending the cut-off date)

11 minutes ago, StevePark said:

Does it not happen in cricket?

There is an established formula to calculate the winner. It is not “away team takes the points”.

22 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

Don't forget the summer / jubilee trophy from last year. Fans paid to watch qualifying matches, but one team pulled out of the final, which still hasn't been raced!

I think Glasgow have been proved right now in their view that it “wasn’t going to happen”. I think the fairest result would be to give the trophy to Glasgow.

Oh, wait. There probably isn’t even a trophy!

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, StevePark said:

Because they extended the League deadline, there are less dates to run the play-offs, especially with six teams in them and FOUR of them running on a Friday.

Spot on. Too many blank weeks and then the usual end of season clamber to get the fixtures in.

I think next season should be better organised fixture wise, with 14 or so teams in one league (not sure how many will drop to NDL and how many will run in the whatever it's called "one league").

________________00000000000_____________

Six teams in the play-offs, especially with a nine-team league, is IMO, ludicrous.  Top Four - Semi Final and Final - would have been quite sufficient, but they are going after the £££, without putting any real thought into it (as usual).

Edited by highside