British Speedway Forum

3 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Luke asking for £10 a point would put Rob off.!!!!!!!!!!!

He'll pay considerably less than half the current CL in the PL. 

But he'll not lose money and have a competitive home team. 

If they average 25 points away he'll save money. 

He is very pragmatic. He's outlived a lot of dream merchants. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Luke asking for £10 a point would put Rob off.!!!!!!!!!!!

In fairness your probably right 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

well certainly some deluded folk on here probably listening to Lewy and his source who said Steve Worrall is nailed on for scunny:D

Maybe he meant in the Premiership lol

1 hour ago, HGould said:

He'll pay considerably less than half the current CL in the PL. 

But he'll not lose money and have a competitive home team. 

If they average 25 points away he'll save money. 

He is very pragmatic. He's outlived a lot of dream merchants. 

I am glad somebody has said this. People give him stick for not spending money but in the same breath slag other promotions off for spending above their means.  I understand there’s a lot of disapproval towards Rob Godfrey (some of which is justified) but he has the interests of Scunthorpe Speedway at heart. Scunthorpe is not a club that can compete financially with the likes of Belle Vue or Sheffield for example, that’s quite apparent. So would be foolish to try. 

Whether  the club decide to make the move up or not, I can’t imagine Rob would do it and risk losing out financially. It’s a business decision and has to be treated that way to ensure the sustainability of the club. Why then people criticise this is beyond me. I am still personally undecided what is for the best but I’m sure the clubs interests are the priority and if that involves saving a few quid then what’s the problem? 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, stumper said:

I am glad somebody has said this. People give him stick for not spending money but in the same breath slag other promotions off for spending above their means.  I understand there’s a lot of disapproval towards Rob Godfrey (some of which is justified) but he has the interests of Scunthorpe Speedway at heart. Scunthorpe is not a club that can compete financially with the likes of Belle Vue or Sheffield for example, that’s quite apparent. So would be foolish to try. 

Whether  the club decide to make the move up or not, I can’t imagine Rob would do it and risk losing out financially. It’s a business decision and has to be treated that way to ensure the sustainability of the club. Why then people criticise this is beyond me. I am still personally undecided what is for the best but I’m sure the clubs interests are the priority and if that involves saving a few quid then what’s the problem? 

The best would be to stay put and see some great competitive racing.Premiership is a league of riders with too great differing standards .

Edited by Fromafar
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

The best would be to stay put and see some great competitive racing.Premiership is a league of riders with too great differing standards .

As a lions fan couldnt agree more. Much prefer the championship

31 minutes ago, stumper said:

Well he would get a bigger slice of the Discovery TV money, to help cover some costs!!

1 hour ago, stumper said:

Who’s to say there isn’t a big sponsor lined up to help fund PL racing ? I’d guess the rumoured move is more about survival of the PL and the TV deal than anything else - the survival of Scunthorpe  speedway should be first priority I’d have thought though . 

Maybe seeing the Premiership first hand might push Godfrey into making the wholesale changes that are necessary in the sport?

2 hours ago, Ben91 said:

If things are that dire that Scunthorpe have to move up to the top league then it’s time to admit a single “professional” division is the way to go. 

Forcing clubs to operate beyond their means just to keep a TV deal and a few world class riders here really isn’t worth it. 

The whole “top league” is joke anyway..how can you have the so called with a hand full of the worlds best then make it up with riders from the middle and bottom (development)leagues and call it the premiership..The powers that be are going to be the death of uk speedway end of..a great shame 

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, bigred said:

The whole “top league” is joke anyway..how can you have the so called with a hand full of the worlds best then make it up with riders from the middle and bottom (development)leagues and call it the premiership..The powers that be are going to be the death of uk speedway end of..a great shame 

Most fans know it should have been One League years ago.We’re getting back to the early 90’s needing Teams to move up just to save so called Premiership. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fromafar said:

Most fans know it should have been One League years ago.We’re getting back to the early 90’s needing Teams to move up just to save so called Premiership. 

100% agree,1 league for sure,however if the rumours are correct and they want to scrap the ndl surely that’s only going to cause more damage to the sport long term,IOW,Mildenhall Kent what will happen to those clubs who definitely don’t have the infrastructure to do any other than low level racing?not to mention there are fans out there that prefer ndl racing.

• Like 1

"Woffy" back in Scunthorpe colours?

3 hours ago, bigred said:

I agree that a top league with 6 or 7 teams is very much less than ideal but I'd say having the likes of Doyle, Emil, Bewley, Woffinden, Lambert, Laguta, Holder etc racing here and putting bums on seats isn't a joke.