British Speedway Forum

5 hours ago, thebaron said:

This 38pt limit concerns me. It must devalue the product for spectators with respect. Very likely two NDL riders at reserve for each team and some protected Heats ? So say 3-4 Heats at NDL level out of 15. £20 last season on the gate will buy you less entertainment this time around ? 

We know how 2023 served up a feast of great Speedway at the EWR. Plus we had a superb team that was bang easy for the supporters to invest in. Losing our No1 Ryan and the best rider in League is a massive hole to fill. We cannot expect the Club to fully replace him they cant. So its going to be a conjouring act from Rob and the Management for 2024.?

I am certain Simon Lambert is back. I would sure like to think Jake Allen is with us and Nathan Ablitt did more than enough for a EWR return. Kyle Howarth or Steve Worrall would be up there as contenders to try plug the massive hole Ryan leaves ? But both are committed to Poland in 2024 so Friday night at Scunny may no longer fit for either of them ? 

Drew Kemp seemed to find a home at Scuuny after a tough start, he could certainly develop further with us as could Conor Mountain who at times was a vital cog in the 2023 line up. 

MPT had injury problems last season but fully fit should be a top rider at this level. Whilst we also have Tommy Jorgensen on our books but returning from a serious injury. 

Zaine Kennedy lost the whole of last season to a none speedway injury. Back fit and on a 4.27 average he could be an absolute steal. Whilst Robs clear admiration for Luke Harrison could very well land him the 2.00pt British development rider ticket ? 

It will be a conumdrum playing the points limit lottery. Which to me is "anti speedway" and always will be. Surely it should about teams putting out the best 1-7 they can and not about arguing over 0.01 of a point ?. 

Theres a lot to live up to at Scunny following the exploits of the class of 2023 and the sheer quality of action served week in week out. My backing is unequivocal of course But by design I fear there may be "an edge" knocked off the overall quality in the Championship next season ?.  I would be quite happy to be proved wrong of course. So lets see what Rob & the Management can come up with ? 

Why should having 2 NDL riders mean less entertainment? Losing Ryan Douglas is certainly a big loss as he is a guarantee of big points but whoever the new 1-7 are can still provide entertaining racing - and that applies to any club.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Why should having 2 NDL riders mean less entertainment? Losing Ryan Douglas is certainly a big loss as he is a guarantee of big points but whoever the new 1-7 are can still provide entertaining racing - and that applies to any club.

Fair point and one I do accept, However we have surely agree that skimming off the top riders in the League and replacing them with NDL riders at the bottom has to be a lowering of standards. Protecting Heats within the meeting where those riders race amongst themselves mighf be the way. But then the consequence of that will be 3-4 Heats of NDL standard and fewer pukka Championship races. Hence its a devaluation. Just my view. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, thebaron said:

Fair point and one I do accept, However we have surely agree that skimming off the top riders in the League and replacing them with NDL riders at the bottom has to be a lowering of standards. Protecting Heats within the meeting where those riders race amongst themselves mighf be the way. But then the consequence of that will be 3-4 Heats of NDL standard and fewer pukka Championship races. Hence it’s a devaluation. Just my view. 

It is a lowering of standard absolutely. But it is being framed as such to re-establish the difference in levels between the top and second division. Something that it is important to do as there have been too many blurred lines between the two for around a decade now. 

The problem for customers will be that they won’t see that reflected in the pricing. Overall I think it’s a good move for the sport but again has been done in a bit of a wishy-washy manner. 

• Like 5

The NDL lads will certainly pack a punch to any meeting. Their talent maybe raw at times, and their times maybe a second slower, but they don't hold back. These guys are the future of British Speedway and without a directive of developing them, then unfortunately there wont be any speedway. From what I have witnessed this year, the only difference at times was the name on the back of the race suit! As the racing /entertainment was no different to any Premiership or Championship meeting. 

Its great to see the likes of Woffy, Holder, Harris, and Sayfutdinov, but Boughen, Harrison, Mcgurk, and Hagon are more than capable of providing the same entertainment. Therefore the same value for money. 

• Like 9

5 hours ago, thebaron said:

Fair point and one I do accept, However we have surely agree that skimming off the top riders in the League and replacing them with NDL riders at the bottom has to be a lowering of standards. Protecting Heats within the meeting where those riders race amongst themselves mighf be the way. But then the consequence of that will be 3-4 Heats of NDL standard and fewer pukka Championship races. Hence its a devaluation. Just my view. 

I would prefer the old Elite league fast track format (2 reserve races) as you say you may get a 3-4 NL standard races per meeting, but to me that's a better alternative than the current system where you could get 2 heat leaders half a lap ahead of 2 NL riders (heat 4).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, thebaron said:

What top riders have been skimmed off? As far as I know only Douglas as Pickering has had a change of heart & could race Championship, Cook has been practising again & Masters, Nicholls, Harris are fixed up. The other top riders we will find out in the near future.

3 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

I would prefer the old Elite league fast track format (2 reserve races) as you say you may get a 3-4 NL standard races per meeting, but to me that's a better alternative than the current system where you could get 2 heat leaders half a lap ahead of 2 NL riders (heat 4).

Then you will get juniors getting 5 point averages & moving in to the main body on false averages.

8 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

5 hours ago, IronScorpion said:

Then you will get juniors getting 5 point averages & moving in to the main body on false averages.

I would suggest if using the "fast track" format, that rather than count every heat equally, make heat leader races & reserve races count differently towards the averages.

9 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

I would suggest if using the "fast track" format, that rather than count every heat equally, make heat leader races & reserve races count differently towards the averages.

The fast track format was horrible. If the riders are in the meeting they have to be in the meeting properly. And no differing ways of calculating averages for me, it’s just unnecessary complication. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Ben91 said:

The fast track format was horrible. If the riders are in the meeting they have to be in the meeting properly. And no differing ways of calculating averages for me, it’s just unnecessary complication. 

Agreed entirely. No protected heats just let the riders compete,  some will succeed sime will fail thats how the sport (should) work. The reduced limit is almost doing what its supposed to which is bringing new riders in and pushing those at the top creaming the easy money out.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 11/18/2023 at 9:13 AM, Ben91 said:

It is a lowering of standard absolutely. But it is being framed as such to re-establish the difference in levels between the top and second division. Something that it is important to do as there have been too many blurred lines between the two for around a decade now. 

The problem for customers will be that they won’t see that reflected in the pricing. Overall I think it’s a good move for the sport but again has been done in a bit of a wishy-washy manner. 

I see the short term benefits to make clearer boundaries across the two leagues, however, there continues to be a huge air of arrogance from promoters who will still put prices up (or hold them) and expect paying punters (who are also feeling the pinch) to foot the cost despite seeing a lower level of product. 

The sport is dying in the UK, and the inevitability of one league has never been so clear. Trying to make re-establish levels will just make it a harder pill to swallow when we move back to one league imo.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, torpointfanatic22 said:

I see the short term benefits to make clearer boundaries across the two leagues, however, there continues to be a huge air of arrogance from promoters who will still put prices up (or hold them) and expect paying punters (who are also feeling the pinch) to foot the cost despite seeing a lower level of product. 

The sport is dying in the UK, and the inevitability of one league has never been so clear. Trying to make re-establish levels will just make it a harder pill to swallow when we move back to one league imo.

The need for 1 league has been clear for years.It’s just some promoters don’t want too share their cut of the money involved.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, torpointfanatic22 said:

I know this is a Scunthorpe thread, but I wonder how many Oxford fans can afford to watch three teams in 2024?  Some other teams can hardly attract fans to watch just one team in one league!

2 minutes ago, StevePark said:

I know this is a Scunthorpe thread, but I wonder how many Oxford fans can afford to watch three teams in 2024?  Some other teams can hardly attract fans to watch just one team in one league!

I was initially aghast at the thought……but the assumption is that they will operate Premier and Championship meetings on alternate weeks. (how that will pan out is anybody’s guess) and the NDL will tag on to one of them. If it does work, it will give the fans speedway once a week which I think is what most of us want. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I see on Facebook Scunthorpe are getting a stand from Wolverhampton. Is it to add the the venue or is it to replace the existing one next to the referees box?

47 minutes ago, Fozzie4388 said:

I see on Facebook Scunthorpe are getting a stand from Wolverhampton. Is it to add the the venue or is it to replace the existing one next to the referees box?

Additional