British Speedway Forum

I’d like to see one big league, like 1995, albeit significantly smaller. There were 21 clubs back then which is incredible to think.

I appreciate I’m not privy to the costs and challenges associated with a one-league merger, but I feel it would be the best move for British Speedway as a product.

I mean, Wolves and Peterborough are out of 2024, right? Posts above suggests Leicester may join them, so that leaves the Premiership with four or five sides, if I’m not mistaken.

As a Glasgow fan, I found it strange that more sides qualified for the Championship play-offs than didn’t; that renders qualification hardly a novelty, so I can even imagine what being a Premiership side and/or fan must feel like; zero variety.

I’m amazed and sad that Speedway in the UK is struggling, having left Ashfield on Tuesday night with nothing but optimism for the sport.

Edited by TheWellBehavedWorrall

51 minutes ago, TheWellBehavedWorrall said:

I’d like to see one big league, like 1995, albeit significantly smaller. There were 21 clubs back then which is incredible to think.

I appreciate I’m not privy to the costs and challenges associated with a one-league merger, but I feel it would be the best move for British Speedway as a product.

I mean, Wolves and Peterborough are out of 2024, right? Posts above suggests Leicester may join them, so that leaves the Premiership with four or five sides, if I’m not mistaken.

As a Glasgow fan, I found it strange that more sides qualified for the Championship play-offs than didn’t; that renders qualification hardly a novelty, so I can even imagine what being a Premiership side and/or fan must feel like; zero variety.

I’m amazed and sad that Speedway in the UK is struggling, having left Ashfield on Tuesday night with nothing but optimism for the sport.

One league of say 14 sides could work but the one thing that will stop that are riders who are capable of scoring decent points in the two current leagues as they'll earn more than the cost

For a lower end rider struggling in both then riding one league could/would/should reduce costs

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Falcon1983 said:

One league of say 14 sides could work but the one thing that will stop that are riders who are capable of scoring decent points in the two current leagues as they'll earn more than the cost

For a lower end rider struggling in both then riding one league could/would/should reduce costs

With Birmingham already opting for Monday racing in the Premiership, and Poole staying Championship, the one league scenario seems unlikely.

51 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

With Birmingham already opting for Monday racing in the Premiership, and Poole staying Championship, the one league scenario seems unlikely.

If the BSPA proposes and is supported in the implementation of a single league set-up, then Poole’s preference would be redundant while Leicester’s preferred race night may be irrelevant.

If a practical racing schedule accommodated 21 teams in 1995, I’m confident it could be done with 14.

3 hours ago, Falcon1983 said:

Absolutely. It would be difficult, but I feel it’s necessary.

The Championship was a depleted version of its former self in 2023, never mind the Premiership, so I feel like the entire system requires rejuvenated. With Wolves and Peterborough, at least, exiting British speedway, then I feel a two-league merger is necessary.

Are there enough riders to allow one big league to work?

Take my team Ipswich King,Riss & Hume all double up in the championship. Then you would have to remove Jason & Emil as they wouldn’t be eligible to ride in one big league because I suspect that you would need a pay cap to make it work. If the 3 double up riders opted to stay at Redcar then Ipswich would need to find 6 new riders to join the only eligible rider from 2023 Rew.

I can only see the league set up remaining as is all be it with 6 Premiership clubs

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheWellBehavedWorrall said:

If the BSPA proposes and is supported in the implementation of a single league set-up, then Poole’s preference would be redundant while Leicester’s preferred race night may be irrelevant.

If a practical racing schedule accommodated 21 teams in 1995, I’m confident it could be done with 14.

But Poole “don’t like Mondays” that’s why they’re championship

22 hours ago, stevebrum said:

All confirmed at the Brummies forum meeting recently. 
80% chance of running next season and if so will be a Monday at PL level. No other teams interested in moving up.

20% chance of not running. Plus a maximum of 3 to 4 years at the venue. They are already looking at new sites.

They we’re looking to lease the whole stadium which would have seen both Birmingham and Wolves running but the price of a quarter of a million is too much!

Listening to the podcast they really seem to be relying on Wolves fans turning up at least 200.

Its clear Birmingham fans aren’t turning up in the numbers they need and going top flight is virtual suicide if Wolves fans don’t turn up.

The owner admitted putting way more money in this season to keep it afloat. Costs higher in the PL.

Think they have been hoodwinked to moving up.

Potential new team manager (Pete Adams maybe] might persuade some Wolves fans particularly if it has a Wolves team flavour.

I'm not sure that the Pete Adams comment is correct.

A few Wolves riders might entice a handful of Wolves over for a look but the team manager wouldn't 

• Like 1

I love Birmingham giving their percentage chances of running in 2024.

If they start the year in a reduced Premiership I would give them a 30% chance of completing their fixtures.

• Like 1

The TV deal will now be divided by 6 rather than 7 so a few more quid for each club..

I don't think a 14 team "big league", as has been suggested would be something the current remaining five teams would want given the revenue  differential...

Just reading the Polish round-up in this week's Speedway Star and Piotr Pawlicki is looking to race in British speedway in 2024.

7 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Just reading the Polish round-up in this week's Speedway Star and Piotr Pawlicki is looking to race in British speedway in 2024.

And therein lyes the problem. All the big stars who don't get permanent GP places just want to waltz into the UK. Take Emil (credit where it's due, he has been loyal to UK speedway this year), Artem etc. If they were in the GP there would be no chance we'd have seen them over here this year

21 minutes ago, StarBoy said:

And therein lyes the problem. All the big stars who don't get permanent GP places just want to waltz into the UK. Take Emil (credit where it's due, he has been loyal to UK speedway this year), Artem etc. If they were in the GP there would be no chance we'd have seen them over here this year

Do you blame them?

The term ‘beggars can’t be choosers’ is highly applicable to British Speedway.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, StarBoy said:

I wouldn’t call quality riders wanting to race in the UK a 'problem'. 

• Like 1

No chance Birmingham would be able to see the season out at Prem level imo but they've been forced into it really.

Run at Prem level and go bust or don't run at all.

• Like 1