British Speedway Forum

"

3 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Surely Phil Morris has only been appointed as 'Chief Executive of Premiership Speedway' rather than the whole sport.?!

His main aims, certainly initially, were to improve the presentation (promotion?) by all Premiership clubs for Eurosport/Discovery TV.

I'm sure there is a Monty Python quote somewhere - "he's not the Messiah.....................?" (I forget the rest!):cheers:

"he's just a very naughty boy"

46 minutes ago, Speedtiger said:

Agreed, but the problems with British Speedway (and many other sports) are wide ranging and fairly complex and the time for radical change has sadly long gone. The opportunities missed due to poor management and navel gazing can not be changed with a silver bullet. I have little confidence that Phil Morris has the acumen or authority to make a significant difference. Back woodsman Godfrey clearly wants to bring down the sport down to his clubs level as frankly he hasn’t the capability or vision to raise the sports profile. Where do we go from here? Well we are past the point of no return and short of a miracle and an investment of many many millions of pounds I fear British speedway will continue to slowly spiral into oblivion. 

100%, however what we have is pretty much all there will be..

Some tracks are "playthings" of the promoters who choose to spend big amounts on it..

This means that winning or losing doesnt make much difference to them as they will keep subsidising their "hobby"..

Some tracks are the actual business of the promoter so they need to make money..

Meaning getting a "winning team" is paramount regardless of what entertainment value is on offer, or what integrity impacting rules some may need to try and circumnavigate to get that winning team..

The bottom line issue is very much a chicken and egg situation in that the sport needs big outside money to come into it, either via league or club sponsorship, or via a bigger TV deal...

However, given the often "Mickey Mouse" way the sport is ran, you haven't a hope in hell of any major nationally well  known businesses wanting to tie their brand to it...

Hence, those well meaning, but ultimately bereft of the required skill set, "amateurs" will continue to try and run a professional sport...

Doing "their best" i am sure, but with the inevitable outcome...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mikebv said:

100%, however what we have is pretty much all there will be..

Some tracks are "playthings" of the promoters who choose to spend big amounts on it..

This means that winning or losing doesnt make much difference to them as they will keep subsidising their "hobby"..

Some tracks are the actual business of the promoter so they need to make money..

Meaning getting a "winning team" is paramount regardless of what entertainment value is on offer, or what integrity impacting rules some may need to try and circumnavigate to get that winning team..

The bottom line issue is very much a chicken and egg situation in that the sport needs big outside money to come into it, either via league or club sponsorship, or via a bigger TV deal...

However, given the often "Mickey Mouse" way the sport is ran, you haven't a hope in hell of any major nationally well  known businesses wanting to tie their brand to it...

Hence, those well meaning, but ultimately bereft of the required skill set, "amateurs" will continue to try and run a professional sport...

Doing "their best" i am sure, but with the inevitable outcome...

Yes doing ‘their amateur best’….has proved to be woefully inadequate.
The current TV deal isn’t as lucrative as people may think. Sky pulled out of speedway because they couldn’t see a future and BT who’d show conker fights or arm wrestling rather than speedway also quickly pulled out.
Major sponsors and media want and demand to be associated with success and the way speedways is ‘managed’ and it’s steady decline over recent years is hardly a sign of success. The only people to blame are the people who run the clubs and the sport as they have been asleep at the wheel and the truth is they’ve allowed the sport to dwindle into a non-entity that only a fool would invest in. Will things improve for 2024? I hope so, we will see what the AGM brings about but with Wolves and Peterborough out…Leicester and Kings Lynn and more clubs up for sale or financially close to ruin things are not looking very rosy. 

What realistic and affordable change do fans want?

1 minute ago, Hilly said:

Watching scunthorpe TV and commentary blokes said they heard a rumour six man teams for prem no RS  ??

1 hour ago, AceBelle said:

Watching scunthorpe TV and commentary blokes said they heard a rumour six man teams for prem no RS  ??

What’s the point in that? If they need to cut riders 6 man teams WITH a rising star makes more sense 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hilly said:

For me the core product is very good, it is just the nonsense rules that prevent the actual leagues from ever being taken seriously...

How the hell can anyone take seriously Peterborough's Bomber helping Ipswich to beat Belle Vue in the Semi, and then helping Sheffield beat Ipswich in the Final?:D

You simply cannot market that....:D

Less riders per team would mean more riders to replace injured ones, so guests could be eradicated if the will was there ..

A fit for purpose RR facility would also mean no need for guests...

Development should be the 2nd Divs priority not Div 1, and clear demarcation within the leagues should always exist so the top league can be marketed as "Elite"...

Every sport needs a "flagship" league that sells the sport with the other leagues feeding off it..

National generic marketing has to be the biggest opportunity.

Huge amounts are spent on riders, very few of which bring a big crowd in, yet very, very little is spent on marketeers who may be able to put some bums on seats...

Being able to take league racing seriously first though is needed before any money is spent hiring any marketing companies...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

Surely Phil Morris has only been appointed as 'Chief Executive of Premiership Speedway' rather than the whole sport.?!

His main aims, certainly initially, were to improve the presentation (promotion?) by all Premiership clubs for Eurosport/Discovery TV.

I'm sure there is a Monty Python quote somewhere - "he's not the Messiah.....................?" (I forget the rest!):cheers:

When does he start?

4 hours ago, AceBelle said:

Not 6 man teams, I didn’t like that when they tried it for one season, stick to 7

3 minutes ago, cowboy cookie returns? said:

Not 6 man teams, I didn’t like that when they tried it for one season, stick to 7

only posting what they said ? it could be complete garbage who knows :rolleyes:

18 minutes ago, cowboy cookie returns? said:

I did. We cleaned up big time :D 

It was two seasons, 1997 and 1998.

• Like 1

6 man teams with greater riders for me = better product 

• Like 2

No disrespect to any of the rising stars this year but Sayfutdinov and Thompson vs Bewley and Mulford is not really a fair match up. The Rising stars wouldn't have gained too much from that and technically just giving the 2 GP riders easy money.  

Whereas Rising stars at 6 and 7 in the CL would be much more beneficial to them and the fans would see closer races . 

6 man teams using "rr" would be better...  but what happens if a rider is injured.. guest? 

2 hours ago, 2ndbendbeerhut said:

No disrespect to any of the rising stars this year but Sayfutdinov and Thompson vs Bewley and Mulford is not really a fair match up. The Rising stars wouldn't have gained too much from that and technically just giving the 2 GP riders easy money.  

Whereas Rising stars at 6 and 7 in the CL would be much more beneficial to them and the fans would see closer races . 

6 man teams using "rr" would be better...  but what happens if a rider is injured.. guest? 

But how often does the number one ride the opposing number 7?