British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Triple.H.

Playoff Final

5 minutes ago, arnieg said:

The meeting was only called off because of rain that fell AFTER Max Perry's crash.

Fair point and thanks  .. I just couldn’t understand the post I quoted saying the ref should of been accountable because he let the meeting continue after heat 10 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Happy Hunter said:

I can't believe the Mildenhall Manager said this:-

Mildenhall boss Jason Gardner said: “On a personal basis, I am over the moon to have a winners’ medal in my first season as sole team manager.

“But more importantly I’m really pleased for the club, the volunteers and supporters that we have the KOC back in the West Row trophy cabinet. It’s also a reward for missing out on both titles last season. 

“Of course it’s a shame that we didn’t win on the track, but that was out of our hands.”

Yes, in the history of sport, this was a fantastic achievement which probably compares with....the Nag's Head Chigwell's unforgettable third place in the third division of the 1983 West Essex Tuesday darts league. Awarded because their playoff opponents were too pi**ed to even hit the board, but a magnificent achievement nonetheless

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, HGould said:

May be time for a complete clear out of the management committee and some form of independent govermence 

How would you see that working and being financed?

47 minutes ago, Sir Sidney said:

How would you see that working and being financed?

It would require I believe a majority of the other clubs to refuse to re-elect the current committee and refuse to offer new nominations and to call an EGM. 

To then seek to move a vote of no confidence and to propose a change of articles of association. 

Then agree a new Board. 

As an example a proven part time CEO. Then a Board ofAn ACU or RAC accredited person from another form of motor sport with administrative experience, an ex Promoter, an ex Rider, an ex Referee. 

So purely hyperthetically 

Keith Heuwen

Adrian Smith

Chris Morton 

Tony Steele

Edited by HGould
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Big Al said:

Yes, in the history of sport, this was a fantastic achievement which probably compares with....the Nag's Head Chigwell's unforgettable third place in the third division of the 1983 West Essex Tuesday darts league. Awarded because their playoff opponents were too pi**ed to even hit the board, but a magnificent achievement nonetheless

I think the Nag's Head's "achievement" that night means even more than winning any UK Speedway Team Trophy..

Unless, of course, they had fielded a team with players from the Dog and Partridge, The Crown, and The Hope and Anchor, all guesting for them...

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, HGould said:

It would require I believe a majority of the other clubs to refuse to re-elect the current committee and refuse to offer new nominations and to call an EGM. 

To then seek to move a vote of no confidence and to propose a change of articles of association. 

Then agree a new Board. 

As an example a proven part time CEO. Then a Board ofAn ACU or RAC accredited person from another form of motor sport with administrative experience, an ex Promoter, an ex Rider, an ex Referee. 

Keith Heuwen

Adrian Smith

Chris Morton 

Tony Steele

It's an interesting idea, and worth exploring more.

Assuming you could get the remaining clubs to do that, and the existing board members to accept it without closing their own clubs and walking away, how would you finance the new board? A levy on all clubs to pay for them? 

I'm genuinely interested in your thoughts 

Interesting idea indeed HGould. Certainly has merit , but I just do not see the current set of promoters setting this in motion to get rid of the current management committee.  They will be opening themselves up to outside scrutiny - and having decisions imposed upon them that would upset their cosy arrangements to make up rules " on the hoof" . It would never do for British Speedway to be managed by professionals.

It's all a bit like the "magic circle" or some form of secret society.

Expect a statement coming out soon stating that this was a magnificent season with the p.offs not being decided until the last week of the season and other piffle like that . 

They will also talk up that they have a new club joining the PL and a new club moving up into the CL, conveniently forgetting the loss of  Wolves and Peterborough.

11 hours ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Interesting idea indeed HGould. Certainly has merit , but I just do not see the current set of promoters setting this in motion to get rid of the current management committee.  They will be opening themselves up to outside scrutiny - and having decisions imposed upon them that would upset their cosy arrangements to make up rules " on the hoof" . It would never do for British Speedway to be managed by professionals.

It's all a bit like the "magic circle" or some form of secret society.

Expect a statement coming out soon stating that this was a magnificent season with the p.offs not being decided until the last week of the season and other piffle like that . 

They will also talk up that they have a new club joining the PL and a new club moving up into the CL, conveniently forgetting the loss of  Wolves and Peterborough.

As an alternative, install Phil Morris as CEO of league speedway (Team GB carries on as is).  What he says go, he answers to no one in a similar way to Barry Hearn did in Snooker in the 80's. Phil's success is measured in three metrics, Commercial Income, spectator figures, broadcast/streaming viewing figures.  Profits are ploughed back into the sport. This year he has already made the Premiership appear more professional by getting clubs to adopt a similar presentation style to the SGP's for broadcast meetings which is a small step in the right direction.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, HGould said:

Then agree a new Board. 

Keith Heuwen

Adrian Smith

Chris Morton 

Tony Steele

Many seem to forget that BSPL(not BSPA) as it now is, is made up of all the club owners/promoters as Directors of the Limited Company. (Assume this includes the NDL clubs although not sure?).Each has voting rights on most decisions, especially when significant changes are proposed, with the majority winning the day. The Management Board (currently Godfrey, Ford, Louis and Bates) is elected by the majority to make decisions on issues as they arise during the season - especially decisions on misleading rules.

For me the major issue is to sort out the rule book once and for all, rather than adding new rules which impact and confuse existing ones and for which a duty board member can easily make a mistake in a split second decision on a race day.

Team building and points limits (or rider averages) are subject to the majority vote.

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

Many seem to forget that BSPL(not BSPA) as it now is, is made up of all the club owners/promoters as Directors of the Limited Company. (Assume this includes the NDL clubs although not sure?).Each has voting rights on most decisions, especially when significant changes are proposed, with the majority 

For me the major issue is to sort out the rule book once and for all, rather than adding new rules which impact and confuse existing ones and for which a duty board member can easily make a mistake in a split second decision on a race day.

Which means the SCB has a major part to play in it as they are the custodians of the rule book rather than BSPL

8 minutes ago, Sir Sidney said:

Which means the SCB has a major part to play in it as they are the custodians of the rule book rather than BSPL

Jim Lawrence said in Speedway Star interview at start of 2023 that the rulebook is/was to have a thorough overhaul! We live in hope........

• Like 1

On 11/1/2023 at 10:41 AM, arnieg said:

The meeting was only called off because of rain that fell AFTER Max Perry's crash.

Would there have been medical cover to carry on assuming it hadn't rained? I wonder if it was really worth it regardless of the reason it happened, I'm sure Oxford would disagree as they've now won it, and I don't blame them for that.

9 minutes ago, 40-38 said:

Would there have been medical cover to carry on assuming it hadn't rained? I wonder if it was really worth it regardless of the reason it happened, I'm sure Oxford would disagree as they've now won it, and I don't blame them for that.

Yes. It was quite clear from the announcements that we were ready to continue once Max's immediate medical needs had been met (and the air fence repaired) and it was only the rain that prevented us doing so.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 40-38 said:

We have quite a few medics at the track (two ambulances and a rapid response car) so there would have been cover.

However I’m unsure (even if the rain hadn’t started to fall whilst Max was being treated) whether the riders would have wanted to continue considering the horrific injuries Max was first feared to have had, had this been the case I am sure none of the fans would have objected we could see it was serious, and most of these are young guys that may not have been in this situation before.

Sadly everybody is fixated on the track and conditions, Max’s accident had nothing to do with the track, from the start there were elbows out but at the entrance to 1st bend his bike took off (it looked like his throttle stuck open) and went straight into the fence  and he couldn’t get away from the bike, it was a freak accident that nobody could have predicted or stopped from happening.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Debbi said:

We have quite a few medics at the track (two ambulances and a rapid response car) so there would have been cover.

However I’m unsure (even if the rain hadn’t started to fall whilst Max was being treated) whether the riders would have wanted to continue considering the horrific injuries Max was first feared to have had, had this been the case I am sure none of the fans would have objected we could see it was serious, and most of these are young guys that may not have been in this situation before.

Sadly everybody is fixated on the track and conditions, Max’s accident had nothing to do with the track, from the start there were elbows out but at the entrance to 1st bend his bike took off (it looked like his throttle stuck open) and went straight into the fence  and he couldn’t get away from the bike, it was a freak accident that nobody could have predicted or stopped from happening.

Yourself, and ArnieG among posters to this thread seem to have been at the match. For non-attenders it would be easy to presume the terrible accident was caused primarily by track conditions and have to confess it was my initial reaction but after 24 hours started to question that presumption. I guess that nothing can be proven for certain and possibly only Max would really know but even then his recollection could understandably be vague. 

But going by the Proboards information it looked like Max had had mechanical problems during his previous races and I wonder if there is any connection?