British Speedway Forum
jbell1995

Plymouth Gladiators 2024

5 hours ago, marko said:

It really doesn’t matter because bar their away matches as they won’t be racing at home on account that track is built on marshland which  means they have trouble getting meetings on in the height of summer, never mind April.

Why on earth would BSN opt to show a meeting from their this early in the season knowing it’s very likely to be canned 24 hours in advance.

Said last season BSN should give the place a wide berth considering the number of calls offs they have.

• Like 1

It’s a sad state of affairs for the league and speedway in this country, not a solely Plymouth issue when a team is starting a brand new season with only 6 of their 7 permitted riders. Guests are the bane of the sport and it just gives a complete unprofessional look. The fact that teams and rule makers havn’t already come to this conclusion in advance that in the event of injury, there isn’t enough riders to cover and go round is the biggest worry of them all. 

This has now happened for at least 2 seasons for multiple teams but instead of doing anything about it, just continue to plow on with the farcical guest situation. The Premiership has started to get its act together and is becoming more professional and things are being put in place to make an overall better product - The Championship is being left behind massively.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, arnieg said:

Read my post again, slowly this time.

Or do you think Landshurt and Daugavpils are now in Poland?

A bit pedantic.

1 hour ago, Najjer said:

It’s a sad state of affairs for the league and speedway in this country, not a solely Plymouth issue when a team is starting a brand new season with only 6 of their 7 permitted riders. Guests are the bane of the sport and it just gives a complete unprofessional look. The fact that teams and rule makers havn’t already come to this conclusion in advance that in the event of injury, there isn’t enough riders to cover and go round is the biggest worry of them all. 

This has now happened for at least 2 seasons for multiple teams but instead of doing anything about it, just continue to plow on with the farcical guest situation. The Premiership has started to get its act together and is becoming more professional and things are being put in place to make an overall better product - The Championship is being left behind massively.

Can I ask what your solution would be if you were in charge?…..not being funny……interested. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, tyretrax said:

A bit pedantic.

Not really to be fair, it was a factual statement that there’s only four Polish teams in the bottom division. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, allthegearbutnaeidea said:

Not really to be fair, it was a factual statement that there’s only four Polish teams in the bottom division. 

But six teams in the league.

12 hours ago, ragdoll64 said:

Can I ask what your solution would be if you were in charge?…..not being funny……interested. 

6 man teams instead of 7 - that is the first solution

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Najjer said:

With a fit for purpose RR facility another to add to the solution.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Najjer said:

Everybody's got a great plan, a superb solution.  Until they get punched in the nose.

What happens when you have two six-man teams, each using r/r, and there's a four-man pile-up in Heats 1 or 2?

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, crescent girl said:

Everybody's got a great plan, a superb solution.  Until they get punched in the nose.

What happens when you have two six-man teams, each using r/r, and there's a four-man pile-up in Heats 1 or 2?

What happens when you have two seven man teams, not even using RR, and there's a four-man pile up in Heats 1 or 2?

It's then five a side....

And if they are using RR it then becomes four a side (exactly as it would with six man teams)..

However, as four man pile ups occur once every Preston Guild, the vast majority of meetings would never be impacted..

And if it does then "tough luck, but guess what? That is sport"...

And, if you run six man (I mean rider teams, sorry Celina) you would then have "subs on the bench" to come in and not need RR in the first place..

The issue facing the sport is too few riders being available at the right ability level that Div 2 want to race at...

Div 1 are "just about" getting away with it by having only seven teams in the league..

Any more and they would struggle too...

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, mikebv said:

What happens when you have two seven man teams, not even using RR, and there's a four-man pile up in Heats 1 or 2?

It's then five a side....

And if they are using RR it then becomes four a side (exactly as it would with six man teams)..

However, as four man pile ups occur once every Preston Guild, the vast majority of meetings would never be impacted..

And if it does then "tough luck, but guess what? That is sport"...

And, if you run six man (I mean rider teams, sorry Celina) you would then have "subs on the bench" to come in and not need RR in the first place..

The issue facing the sport is too few riders being available at the right ability level that Div 2 want to race at...

Div 1 are "just about" getting away with it by having only seven teams in the league..

Any more and they would struggle too...

Well, l disagree, but that's what a forum's for..... 

• Like 2

If my memory serves me right, the 1996 conference league which Arena Essex was in, only consisted of six man teams.

On 3/29/2024 at 9:06 AM, Najjer said:

Is it only me that feels a tad sympathetic towards Plymouth?

They sign a 7 MSN team and through no fault of their own the number 1 is injured pre season. As a result of moving to Saturday race night there are few, if any, suitable replacements. I wonder if it would have been easier to get a replacement for Tuesdays?

They do a load of work on the track, and are met with a very wet winter, meaning, perhaps unsurprisingly, it hasn't dried out in time. 

Who'd be a promoter in a sport that is not a great money earner if not a loss maker?

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, Sir Sidney said:

Is it only me that feels a tad sympathetic towards Plymouth?

They sign a 7 MSN team and through no fault of their own the number 1 is injured pre season. As a result of moving to Saturday race night there are few, if any, suitable replacements. I wonder if it would have been easier to get a replacement for Tuesdays?

They do a load of work on the track, and are met with a very wet winter, meaning, perhaps unsurprisingly, it hasn't dried out in time. 

Who'd be a promoter in a sport that is not a great money earner if not a loss maker?

I admit when we started the track work back in October, we had some nice weather and we were cracking on with everything nicely, then the weather changed and we've had to endure the wettest winter for 250years apparently. Definitely effected moral, then losing nico through no fault of our own was very disappointing however we have stuck to it and I reckon it will pay off in the long run. We might not be fancied for any success, but we won't stop trying. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, marko said:

If my memory serves me right, the 1996 conference league which Arena Essex was in, only consisted of six man teams.

The Elite League & Premier league had 6 man teams in 1997, with the Elite continuing this in 1998.