British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Poole v Glasgow Championship Final 2nd Leg 11/10/23

2 hours ago, TheWellBehavedWorrall said:

Hopefully this goes ahead on Wednesday as I’m getting my nails done on Thursday night.

Who knows what will happen? Based on previous encounters at Wimborne Road, I think it would be wise to assume Glasgow will have zero reliance on Complin or Pijper, so it’s all on Harris, Basso, Tarasenko and Brennan to acquire at least 39 points between them.

When was the last time a team won the league with a 16 year-old in the side from the start of the season? I know he’s 17 now, but Pijper seeing-out the full season is an incredible achievement, especially if they win the league. A bit of research has shown that a certain Tai Woffinden did it in 2007 with Rye House.

Based on previous visits this season, it looks like a Poole win over the 2 legs to me. 

Harris 19 p from 11 rides ... 6.90

Tom  13 p from 9 rides ... 5.77

Basso  7p from 5 rides ... 5.60

Lee  0p  from 10 rides ... 0.00

Ace  6p from 9 rides ... 2.66

I do expect more from Bomber, but i can't see the addition of Vad being enough.I do hope i'm wrong though :)

50 minutes ago, poole keith said:

if i was glasgow owner would be leasing two ryan douglas bikes all set up for poole, for my reserves

That would only work if you could disguise him as Complin which would be very tricky !!!

9 minutes ago, Bald Bloke said:

Based on previous visits this season, it looks like a Poole win over the 2 legs to me. 

I do expect more from Bomber, but i can't see the addition of Vad being enough.I do hope i'm wrong though :)

Those statistics don’t look great, do they?

I don’t think you can underestimate momentum, though. Poole earned the right to Group A in the play-offs which was essentially a spa weekend. Meanwhile, Glasgow put a marker down against Oxford during the final league fixture, then again in the play-offs and I believe that showed last night.

Make no mistake about it, Glagsow rag-dolled Poole last night and even in a more tame second half of the meeting, Chris Harris set the tone by playing with Lawson, Worrall and Ben Cook in front of the BSN cameras before doing all three.

You can’t quantify momentum, but it’s definitely with Glasgow because Poole’s top boys were made to look a bit silly last night.

Edited by TheWellBehavedWorrall

6 minutes ago, Bald Bloke said:

A lot hinges on Tarasenko.He is a class act though.If it’s a slick track I fancy him too do well.The reserve races hold the key Tigers look weak.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TheWellBehavedWorrall said:

Those statistics don’t look great, do they?

I don’t think you can underestimate momentum, though. Poole earned the right to Group A in the play-offs which was essentially a spa weekend. Meanwhile, Glasgow put a marker down against Oxford during the final league fixture, then again in the play-offs and I believe that showed last night.

Make no mistake about it, Glagsow rag-dolled Poole last night and even in a more tame second half of the meeting, Chris Harris set the tone by playing with Lawson, Worrall and Ben Cook in front of the BSN cameras before doing all three.

You can’t quantify momentum, but it’s definitely with Glasgow because Poole’s top boys were made to look a bit silly last night.

Judging by the reports from last night, you do have the momentum, no doubt. Poole will be wounded from last night though, and i just think you will see a different Poole tonight. It will be close, but i think you needed another 4 points myself. Has Vad rode their track before?

I will be rooting for your lot though;) 

Edited by Bald Bloke
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TheWellBehavedWorrall said:

Hopefully this goes ahead on Wednesday as I’m getting my nails done on Thursday night.

Who knows what will happen? Based on previous encounters at Wimborne Road, I think it would be wise to assume Glasgow will have zero reliance on Complin or Pijper, so it’s all on Harris, Basso, Tarasenko and Brennan to acquire at least 39 points between them.

When was the last time a team won the league with a 16 year-old in the side from the start of the season? I know he’s 17 now, but Pijper seeing-out the full season is an incredible achievement, especially if they win the league. A bit of research has shown that a certain Tai Woffinden did it in 2007 with Rye House.

Kyle Bickley 2018 won the treble with Workington

• Like 2

As I said on the other thread unfortunately I think Glasgow had a chance to take the tie by the scruff of the neck but failed to take it, six lasts in the final seven heats last night killed their hopes. They needed a lead of 20+.

Poole to win comfortably on aggregate. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

So Glasgow come down to Wimborne Road with a huge 14 point lead. Pirates fans can almost give out a sigh of relief that it’s not 22-24 points, as it was looking to be heading that way after heat 8. But like the champions they are, Poole rallied well and actually won the second half of the meeting by a couple of points. 

But make no mistake, 14 points is a huge lead and defendable. If Pirates don’t start on the front foot it could all be over by heat 11. But there is a chance. Glasgow are clear favourites and who can stop Bomber in the form he showed tonight? He rides Poole well and if he is backed up by Tarasenko and Basso it will be enough. We need all the boys to be on their best form straight from heat 1, like Glasgow were tonight.

Can Pirates pull off Mission Impossible: Back From The Dead? 

Can someone bite on the trolls post, same boring thing every match.

11 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

As I said on the other thread unfortunately I think Glasgow had a chance to take the tie by the scruff of the neck but failed to take it, six lasts in the final seven heats last night killed their hopes. They needed a lead of 20+.

Poole to win comfortably on aggregate. 

Yes they did and it has given them a massive chance, most Poole fans would have been pleased with 8-10 but 14 is  a big lead when you have riders like Basso, Harris and Tarasenko plus Brennan who scored 9 last time.

Apparently the Ipswich troll tells us that if we don't beat Glasgow we will have choked, the tripe that comes from him is unbelievable. It is not impossible but requires everyone firing which clearly wasn't the case last night.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

Yes they did and it has given them a massive chance, most Poole fans would have been pleased with 8-10 but 14 is  a big lead when you have riders like Basso, Harris and Tarasenko plus Brennan who scored 9 last time.

Apparently the Ipswich troll tells us that if we don't beat Glasgow we will have choked, the tripe that comes from him is unbelievable. It is not impossible but requires everyone firing which clearly wasn't the case last night.

Well that's not as bad as Shuvvy's opening post comment ;)Can Pirates pull off Mission Impossible: Back From The Dead? :D.

I posted the Glasgow riders averages /points scored at your gaff this season on this page. I don't know if Tarasenko has graced your shale before though?

I know the previous points scored can't be relied on to much, and anything can happen, but i fully expect you to pull this back.I wouldn't go as far as to say you choked if you don't though.

Edited by Bald Bloke

53 minutes ago, Trackrat said:

Can someone bite on the trolls post, same boring thing every match.

It's boring that you keep coming on here, toodle off now trackprat 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Bald Bloke said:

Well that's not as bad as Shuvvy's opening post comment ;)Can Pirates pull off Mission Impossible: Back From The Dead? :D.

I posted the Glasgow riders averages /points scored at your gaff this season on this page. I don't know if Tarasenko has graced your shale before though?

I know the previous points scored can't be relied on to much, and anything can happen, but i fully expect you to pull this back.I wouldn't go as far as to say you choked if you don't though.

I don't expect to pull it back but I just hope we can and I hope rain doesn't ruin it. I am no pessimist like Shovvy,  I consider myself an optimist so I am very hopeful. Tarasenko has never been to Poole so I would not expect much in his first two rides but he is eligible for r/r  so could be dangerous later on. Brennan is usually poor at Poole but last time he got 9 so that was a big improvement but he had an up and down night too at Glasgow so as with last night the first few heats will determine to final outcome. If we get off to a slow start we are toast.

Simple solution to the situation of less than 15 heats being raced in the second leg due to poor weather ... the score at the same stage in the 1st leg should be used.  

Almost certain that material is being shovelled off the Poole track by the truckload as I write to give a slick surface in case of rain, oh and to prevent any outside passing lines for Bomber Harris.

Gate Artists extraordinaire Lawson and Worrall will be like Pirates in a Galleon.

1 hour ago, foreverblue said:

My team Ipswich choked .... i can admit that it happens and we bottled it with riders not riding the correct lines and losing points from scoring positions

Poole finished top and beat Glasgow comfortably over 2 legs twice

Poole have lost by 2 and 6 at Glasgow this season so to get beat by 14 is a bad result and a bit of a choke already.

Nowak and Vissing scored 13 then 11 in the first 2 meetings..........Tarasenko and R/R got 14 so not really a big shift in scores 

Poole should comfortably win this Glasgow are awful at Poole as proved twice this season

So maybe not a total choke..................but when you have a numpty like Shovlar starting the thread with a absolute joke of a post its nice to be able to respond in kind

Poole were...are ...and always was favourites for the league. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Simple solution to the situation of less than 15 heats being raced in the second leg due to poor weather ... the score at the same stage in the 1st leg should be used.  

Almost certain that material is being shovelled off the Poole track by the truckload as I write to give a slick surface in case of rain, oh and to prevent any outside passing lines for Bomber Harris.

Gate Artists extraordinaire Lawson and Worrall will be like Pirates in a Galleon.

And Poole can and should prepare their track that way............2 gating tarts up against true racers in Bomber and Basso who will have no chance on passing if the track is done right

Thing is Tarasenko is a gater so if he does take to Poole he might prove troublesome