British Speedway Forum
SilentLurker

Glasgow Tigers 2024

2 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Can’t believe they would sign Stark.

Good solid rider years ago but I suspect the injuries are catching up , This team building to 38 points is starting to look more ridiculous by the minute if that is the rumoured side.

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, Gazc said:

Good solid rider years ago but I suspect the injuries are catching up , This team building to 38 points is starting to look more ridiculous by the minute if that is the rumoured side.

Agree with regarding the watering down of the sport.It’s not really doing anything to attract new fans with its Mickey Mouse set up.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Fromafar said:

Can’t believe they would sign Stark.

To be fair Paul has usually done very well for us in the past, although a bit injury prone , however with good machinery,  he should definitely increase his current average. 

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Weeyin said:

To be fair Paul has usually done very well for us in the past, although a bit injury prone , however with good machinery,  he should definitely increase his current average. 

If a rider who has ridden all these year and can’t sort out decent machinery tells me something I’m afraid.

• Like 1

To an extent I understand going for a predominantly British side. Out with bombers long track commitments shouldn't be great deal involved with rearranging meetings unlike this season. But can't pretend I'm excited by that 7. Worrall, solid though he is, doesn't replace basso in points and certainly not in entertainment value. Let's hope the rumours are wrong lol

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

To an extent I understand going for a predominantly British side. Out with bombers long track commitments shouldn't be great deal involved with rearranging meetings unlike this season. But can't pretend I'm excited by that 7. Worrall, solid though he is, doesn't replace basso in points and certainly not in entertainment value. Let's hope the rumours are wrong lol

Alot of Glasgow fans were hoping the rumours of bomber signing last season were wrong but that didn't turn out bad. Teams are going to look weaker on paper with the 38pt limit compared to the team you finished with especially Glasgow.  Fortunately for me Plymouth can't be any worse!!

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

Didn't you say this about Chris Harris last winter though? ;)

1 hour ago, Fromafar said:

Agree with regarding the watering down of the sport.It’s not really doing anything to attract new fans with its Mickey Mouse set up.

I think it has to be done with two leagues. There has to be a tangible difference in quality between each division.

It’s interesting to me that the general consensus is that the standard across the board has gone down and that the top tier is filled with second tier riders, it could quite easily be seen that the standard of riders in the second tier is higher since the average conversion rate change/doubling up free-for-all that began 10 or so years back. I’m not saying I subscribe to that opinion, just playing devil’s advocate. 

One thing that is certain is that Championship fans will be exposed to a lesser product in 2024 (in terms of quality at least, if the racing is competitive then it will soon be forgiven I’m sure). I wonder if these changes have been made with an eye on forcing the hand of the bigger clubs in the Championship into moving up a league next winter. 

Lowering the points limit in the Championship is probably for the best for the sport long term. But I still fear the changes haven’t been strong enough and loopholes will still be found. Doubling up isn’t regulated for one, and guests being available for any missing rider for another. 

7 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Didn't you say this about Chris Harris last winter though? ;)

I did indeed

29 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

Take a very good rider to replace the entertainment factor Basso had ,at least you've still got Bomber.

2 hours ago, Fromafar said:

If a rider who has ridden all these year and can’t sort out decent machinery tells me something I’m afraid.

I’m sure Glasgow will sort him out with some 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mr Blobby said:

Decent machinery or Sherbet ? :)

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Mr Blobby said:

What did they give him the last time he rode or them,just money maybe.

1 hour ago, Ben91 said:

I think it has to be done with two leagues. There has to be a tangible difference in quality between each division.

It’s interesting to me that the general consensus is that the standard across the board has gone down and that the top tier is filled with second tier riders, it could quite easily be seen that the standard of riders in the second tier is higher since the average conversion rate change/doubling up free-for-all that began 10 or so years back. I’m not saying I subscribe to that opinion, just playing devil’s advocate. 

One thing that is certain is that Championship fans will be exposed to a lesser product in 2024 (in terms of quality at least, if the racing is competitive then it will soon be forgiven I’m sure). I wonder if these changes have been made with an eye on forcing the hand of the bigger clubs in the Championship into moving up a league next winter. 

Lowering the points limit in the Championship is probably for the best for the sport long term. But I still fear the changes haven’t been strong enough and loopholes will still be found. Doubling up isn’t regulated for one, and guests being available for any missing rider for another. 

Time will tell,I personally don’t see crowds flocking back to Championship Speedway any time soon.Be great if they held their own though.Money from streaming more likely needed to keep Clubs afloat.Can’t keep charging more for lesser goods.IMO

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, BluPanther said:

Decent machinery or Sherbet ? :)

Tough choice for some