British Speedway Forum
Midget

Workington 2024

Assuming Cook is going to the Comets, his article in the SS this week is certainly a positive one!

16 hours ago, scaramanga said:

personaly i think 3pm dust bowl meetings @£20  will turn a few away  

i feel spedway is best under floodlights but others do prefer afternoon meetings 

Under lights is so much better ,for me the best racing we had was after a few days rain track was well soaked,put clay in the track and it spoils the racing,not much comets news in todays comic !

16 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

Assuming Cook is going to the Comets, his article in the SS this week is certainly a positive one!

I hope it works out for him after all his struggles, quite a high average but if he performs to his best could be a good move 

A Cook comeback would be good for him and good for the sport. Hisp toxicity saw him dumped by Glasgow then banned at the request of Edinburgh so he’s got work to do to get back to where he should be. 
Workington moving to CL is a great opportunity for him and I hope he grasps it. He’s let so many people down over the years, but still loads are rooting for him. Here’s hoping he uses that support to spur himself on rather than complaining of feeling pressurised. 

On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2023 at 8:15 PM, Skidder1 said:

Good luck for when the Euros '24 and Paris Olympics start!!

Why? Are they running at weekends only?

6 minutes ago, IronScorpion said:

Why? Are they running at weekends only?

Because Rob Godfrey doesn't want them racing on a Friday.

10 minutes ago, gmarsbar2 said:

Why does Rob Godfrey get blamed ,I’m hearing Workington wanted to stay Saturday and there isn’t much choice as I’m sure there isn’t floodlights fitted at Derwent Park yet so early and late in the season there is no other choice

11 minutes ago, Tosh1218 said:

Why does Rob Godfrey get blamed ,I’m hearing Workington wanted to stay Saturday and there isn’t much choice as I’m sure there isn’t floodlights fitted at Derwent Park yet so early and late in the season there is no other choice

2018 he blocked them from using Friday nights because it was restricting his choice of guests. 

They now race at Northside Arena, Derwent Park is the rugby stadium.

1 hour ago, gmarsbar2 said:

2018 he blocked them from using Friday nights because it was restricting his choice of guests. 

They now race at Northside Arena, Derwent Park is the rugby stadium.

Has it got lights

5 minutes ago, Tosh1218 said:

Has it got lights

Not yet

Really disappointed they are running on a Saturday at 3pm again. So many fans work Saturdays and can not make most of the meetings myself included. Understand they have no lights but even a 5pm start time would help more people be able to attend. 

Also there will be more fixtures next season so more clashes with Reds matches and local Rugby League. There must be some positive reason other than for fans to be able to enjoy a pint because its a Saturday to run on a Saturday at 3pm.

3 hours ago, Tosh1218 said:

Because it fits the narrative 

3 hours ago, Tosh1218 said:

Cos Godfrey did not like other clubs riding on a Friday in 2018, as he wanted any guests to himself !!      Tosh1218 where have you been hiding the past 12 months or so, been plenty of coverage of the comets at the fantastic Northside arena, yes we have no floodlights at the moment, but they are in the planning for the future. Come up and see for yourself in 24

15 minutes ago, Neila said:

Cos Godfrey did not like other clubs riding on a Friday in 2018, as he wanted any guests to himself !!      Tosh1218 where have you been hiding the past 12 months or so, been plenty of coverage of the comets at the fantastic Northside arena, yes we have no floodlights at the moment, but they are in the planning for the future. Come up and see for yourself in 24

I'm not exactly a rob Godfrey fan but in fairness to him he has been instrumental in enabling workington to enter the Championship and advising them on the best way forward apparently. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, gmarsbar2 said:

It was because Workington AND Lakeside(main/chosen race night) changed some of their race nights from Saturday to Friday & other teams, not just Friday night racing teams but their opponents as well, but because Godfrey's name was in the memo for teams to change back to their original race night, he gets all the blame.(remember it is or was a BSPA vote + promoters that vetoed the change)

21 minutes ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

Because it fits the narrative 

As usual. It used to be Buster, as head honcho, but now Rob. Many Thanks.

10 minutes ago, Neila said:

See as above but you have a "bee in your bonnet" & will not change similar to others. You just have tunnel vision & do not see the bigger picture.

• Like 1