British Speedway Forum
Midget

Workington 2024

2 hours ago, j2ohh said:

so i take it worky gets all the takings from all the food outlets/chippy/drink/ice cream   , even though it looks like these are run by other non worky people !

Plans going forward for bar and food in 2 newly installed portacabins on middle of bend 1 + 2 

• Like 2

I think Workington will be fine , follow Scunthorpe & Redcars blue  print of most things in-house and ice cream van etc pay to enter the stadium  ,raffle tickets etc .What you need is a hard working band of helpers and your halfway there

• Like 5

Surely there's insurance, medical costs, referees, tyres, travel, upkeep, and whole lot of etc costs to be considered, before you start talking about bums on seats to cover wages. :unsure:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Fromafar said:

Regarding food while it’s easy money to let it out.With a little organisation its’very healthy profit to do it In-house .IMO.Initial outlay might be the problem if it was short Term but they have a21 year lease.

To be fair, they’ve come a long way quickly. I’m sure it’s just a matter of priorities and how quickly they can get to all of them.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Noelinho said:

To be fair, they’ve come a long way quickly. I’m sure it’s just a matter of priorities and how quickly they can get to all of them.

Agree 100%

• Like 2

a few practice amature meeting a month will put a few coffers into the kitty 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, magnus said:

Surely there's insurance, medical costs, referees, tyres, travel, upkeep, and whole lot of etc costs to be considered, before you start talking about bums on seats to cover wages. :unsure:

Whole host of unforeseen costs as you have covered as well as bonus points needing to be paid. £100 apoint would be reasonable if riders supplied thier own tyres and operated on reduced travel costs. Scoring points should be incentivised more.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Whole host of unforeseen costs as you have covered as well as bonus points needing to be paid. £100 apoint would be reasonable if riders supplied thier own tyres and operated on reduced travel costs. Scoring points should be incentivised more.

dont think the riders can bring tyres with them , its wide open to iffy goings on .but they can use fuel from home !

Edited by j2ohh
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, j2ohh said:

dont think the riders can bring tyres with them , its wide open to iffy goings on .but they can use fuel from home !

I am sure new tyres are supplied "in house" & only the spare is the riders

As regards the fuel, I think this is also supplied by the home track as to minimise "dodgy" additives used. In the past, additives(nitro) was fed through tubes in the frame & also additives could already be in the containers the riders use. A track examiner can not see every thing that goes on.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IronScorpion said:

I am sure new tyres are supplied "in house" & only the spare is the riders

As regards the fuel, I think this is also supplied by the home track as to minimise "dodgy" additives used. In the past, additives(nitro) was fed through tubes in the frame & also additives could already be in the containers the riders use. A track examiner can not see every thing that goes on.

The spare tyre is one previously issued and marked and inspected by the machine examiner and it Must be used. Fuel is not supplied to the riders you have to buy your own

Edited by phillwhitewasmad
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 1/23/2024 at 10:02 PM, Joseq7 said:

Agreed. 

Surely there can't be too many riders in the Championship on >=£100 a point?

I know that rider overheads and running costs are crazy but even so. 

Stonehewer back in early 2000s was rumoured to be on around that figure so given that was 20 years ago, it wouldn't seem unlikely to be the case now. 

18 hours ago, j2ohh said:

Rules change every 5 minutes but there was nothing to stop riders fitting a tyre at home (same manufacturer etc) getting it marked then taking the new tyre from the meeting and repeating the process. Most do fit tyres at track but not all like to scrabble around on top of a bin in the dirt etc. The whole fiasco with tyres is laughable enough anyways, there are enough available manufacturers worldwide, allow a bit of competition and finally drive the prices down not up. 

Edited by Sings4Speedway
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Rules change every 5 minutes but there was nothing to stop riders fitting a tyre at home (same manufacturer etc) getting it marked then taking the new tyre from the meeting and repeating the process. Most do fit tyres at track but not all like to scrabble around on top of a bin in the dirt etc. The whole fiasco with tyres is laughable enough anyways, there are enough available manufacturers worldwide, allow a bit of competition and finally drive the prices down not up. 

In the National league you can turn up with tyre fitted but has to be approved in the championship it is supplied by the home track already marked and is fitted there 

• Thanks 1

I notice in Poland and in the GP's that the fuel is centralised and all use the same..

(I presume fuel tanks are empty upon arrival? Or it might defeat the objective)..;)

Why dont UK Speedway do it? Surely cheaper to buy in bulk rather than riders all paying indivdually, and it would mean less money paid out to riders to cover this cost they take on..

I seem to remember when I visited the pits a fair few moons ago, that it used to happen in the UK..

What stopped it? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mikebv said:

I notice in Poland and in the GP's that the fuel is centralised and all use the same..

(I presume fuel tanks are empty upon arrival? Or it might defeat the objective)..;)

Why dont UK Speedway do it? Surely cheaper to buy in bulk rather than riders all paying indivdually, and it would mean less money paid out to riders to cover this cost they take on..

I seem to remember when I visited the pits a fair few moons ago, that it used to happen in the UK..

What stopped it? 

with regards buying fuel in bulk !  i am sure it has a short shelf life and can absorb water . i think it goes a sort of dullish black . ? ? ?