British Speedway Forum
Midget

Workington 2024

5 hours ago, mikebv said:

I notice in Poland and in the GP's that the fuel is centralised and all use the same..

(I presume fuel tanks are empty upon arrival? Or it might defeat the objective)..;)

Why dont UK Speedway do it? Surely cheaper to buy in bulk rather than riders all paying indivdually, and it would mean less money paid out to riders to cover this cost they take on..

I seem to remember when I visited the pits a fair few moons ago, that it used to happen in the UK..

What stopped it? 

Maybe modern day health and safety when unattended? Although would think no worse than gas bottles etc.

Edited by gazzac

On 1/25/2024 at 10:52 AM, mikebv said:

I notice in Poland and in the GP's that the fuel is centralised and all use the same..

(I presume fuel tanks are empty upon arrival? Or it might defeat the objective)..;)

Why dont UK Speedway do it? Surely cheaper to buy in bulk rather than riders all paying indivdually, and it would mean less money paid out to riders to cover this cost they take on..

I seem to remember when I visited the pits a fair few moons ago, that it used to happen in the UK..

What stopped it? 

As someone who supplied methanol to a track and a qualified ‘ DGSA ‘, there’s a lot of rules & regulations regarding storage and transport of dangerous goods which make it restrictive to anyone dealing with it. Clubs have never supplied it , always been from ‘ the spares van ‘  type supplier . No club would want to store thousands of litres of a flammable liquid if they didn’t have too !

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Diamonds85 said:

One day this century Workington will announce their final rider

I'd genuinely pay extra to see Steve Lawson having a crack. I remember him taking the first laps of the new circuit 2 years ago and he didn't look too bad for a 64-year-old (66 now). Anyone know what average he'd come in at?

41 minutes ago, Nickinho said:

I'd genuinely pay extra to see Steve Lawson having a crack. I remember him taking the first laps of the new circuit 2 years ago and he didn't look too bad for a 64-year-old (66 now). Anyone know what average he'd come in at?

Scunny on a 3.Worky on a 10.5.!!

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, KK62 said:

As someone who supplied methanol to a track and a qualified ‘ DGSA ‘, there’s a lot of rules & regulations regarding storage and transport of dangerous goods which make it restrictive to anyone dealing with it. Clubs have never supplied it , always been from ‘ the spares van ‘  type supplier . No club would want to store thousands of litres of a flammable liquid if they didn’t have too !

Clubs have supplied it i did back in the day at derwent park,yes a while back but it was stored their.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Scunny on a 3.Worky on a 10.5.!!

What rubbish you speak would definitely be a 2 at scunny 

• Haha 3

Carl Stonehewer will be sitting by the phone hoping for the call to come.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

Clubs have supplied it i did back in the day at derwent park,yes a while back but it was stored their.

you are so right G100 , .

2 hours ago, KK62 said:

i can assure you tracks did supplt fuel and castrol R   

rethink your comment and alter your post please

• Haha 2

On 1/25/2024 at 3:55 PM, j2ohh said:

with regards buying fuel in bulk !  i am sure it has a short shelf life and can absorb water . i think it goes a sort of dullish black . ? ? ?

They used to do it at Halifax,I was friends with the guy who dished it out.Mind,that's a few years ago now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Derrickn said:

They used to do it at Halifax,I was friends with the guy who dished it out.Mind,that's a few years ago now.

Quite a few years ago now :D

1 hour ago, geoff100 said:

I also gave methonal out back in the day at derwent Park,( 1981 + 85 ) but very few elf and safety rules then !!

10 minutes ago, Neila said:

I also gave methonal out back in the day at derwent Park,( 1981 + 85 ) but very few elf and safety rules then !!

what promotion were operating when you were doing the fuel thing ?

36 minutes ago, j2ohh said:

Not at Workington, Redcar and not in the dark ages but very recently and I now assist the current supplier who also does other tracks in the north.

50 minutes ago, j2ohh said:

An old one , a very old one.