British Speedway Forum

7 minutes ago, Dickie Head said:

I’ve seen Edinburgh and Berwick mentioned. Berwick may be a problem if he wants to continue in Poland as that would be a dash to an airport for an early flight. As a former Edinburgh rider, that may have more appeal.

Wasn't that one of Pickering's reasons for leaving Edinburgh though?

Pickering and the Cook's as 1,3&5 for Poole? 

I say it every year but how Douglas hasn't gone down there with the Ward connection I'll never know. His average is way too high now but it always seemed the right fit.

10 minutes ago, Dickie Head said:

I’ve seen Edinburgh and Berwick mentioned. Berwick may be a problem if he wants to continue in Poland as that would be a dash to an airport for an early flight. As a former Edinburgh rider, that may have more appeal.

10 minutes ago, Dickie Head said:

for one season at least

1 hour ago, DJC said:

Wasn't that one of Pickering's reasons for leaving Edinburgh though?

Pickering and the Cook's as 1,3&5 for Poole? 

I say it every year but how Douglas hasn't gone down there with the Ward connection I'll never know. His average is way too high now but it always seemed the right fit.

Be Lawson. Can't see Pickering at Poole imo. A lot of travelling from Yorkshire and back. If I remember correctly Dougie nearly came to Poole when he left Leicester and was looking for midweek team but then Lawson made himself available. Well that is what the rumour was anyway. 

Edited by lisa-colette

Pickering & Douglas have already said that they are not doing the Championship but want to, personally, try to progress in the higher leagues in Europe against better riders.

3 hours ago, RogerM22 said:

I've said this many times too. There are riders now who would've struggled to crack the old EL, yet are somehow heat leaders in both leagues. There were some excellent PL #1s back in the day and they couldn't hack it in the top league, unless they were really special.

It's a shame though, because the PL for a long time was probably the most equal and competitive league.

It was, and it was in a large part, down to lots of Commonwealth riders coming over to the UK to take places in Div 2..

And also lots of European potential superstars, or simply just journeymen, being given Div 2 places...

With the European lads in particular getting replaced often with much of the same standard of rider, coming in and out through the revolving door..

Nowadays, with Brexit, it is far more difficult to just "open the doors" to those lads and fill your teams with them...

Therefore, we find ourselves short of riders of the standard both leagues want to race at, hence doubling up/down is now part and parcel of the sport..

With that shortage of riders, in a major part, being down to UK lads not getting opportunities when journey men European and Commonwealth riders were constantly being brought over...

A vicious circle excellently led and delivered by those in charge, who had no plan for any future growth and development of both riders and sport, bringing us to where we are today...

To You. To Me, To Me, To You. etc etc etc 

14 minutes ago, mikebv said:

It was, and it was in a large part, down to lots of Commonwealth riders coming over to the UK to take places in Div 2..

And also lots of European potential superstars, or simply just journeymen, being given Div 2 places...

With the European lads in particular getting replaced often with much of the same standard of rider, coming in and out through the revolving door..

Nowadays, with Brexit, it is far more difficult to just "open the doors" to those lads and fill your teams with them...

Therefore, we find ourselves short of riders of the standard both leagues want to race at, hence doubling up/down is now part and parcel of the sport..

With that shortage of riders, in a major part, being down to UK lads not getting opportunities when journey men European and Commonwealth riders were constantly being brought over...

A vicious circle excellently led and delivered by those in charge, who had no plan for any future growth and development of both riders and sport, bringing us to where we are today...

To You. To Me, To Me, To You. etc etc etc 

Well, who all voted for Brxit? 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, crescent girl said:

More than who didn't, unfortunately, for so many things...

It does though give the UK Speedway Promoters a huge opportunity to become "self sufficient" and no longer rely on "journeymen, after journeymen" coming over to take team places...

Just think, loads of UK lads riding in Div 2, and maybe higher, and all down to a clear development path using team places previously given to the Speedway equivalent of dozens of "Carlos Kickabouts"......

Maybe even growing the UK sports profile with the GB Team being consistently successful at international level due to plenty of strength in depth...

Who just said we need a five year plan? :D

Edited by mikebv

10 minutes ago, crescent girl said:

The majority unfortunately,but blaming brexit for the demise of GB Speedway is pretty shallow. IMO

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, IronScorpion said:

Pickering & Douglas have already said that they are not doing the Championship but want to, personally, try to progress in the higher leagues in Europe against better riders.

But Pickering has since made a statement intimating a possible turnaround. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

Oh, so that is why you were stalking my profile. Getting as sad as trackprat tbf. So in other words I haven't done what you made out. Thanks for confirming :t:

If you say hello to someone and they say hello back do you have a go at them for repeating you? Lmao :D

Oh and why are you repeating what is on my profile. People really hate repetition you know -_- 

That's it keep up your daily average!!!! Definitely OCD on this forum. If you don't like people to see how many posts you have, then edit your profile:rolleyes:

• Like 1

I think some riders genuinely connect with the fans and Steve seems to be one of them. Saying good bye and Thank You to the fans came from the heart and I can see why Steve would rather say that aloud than let people read it in a crafted cold statement. Danny last yr, Lewis Kerr this yr would have loved the opportunity to say good bye in person. With so many riders leaving the championship, not cutting the points limit would have left 5 teams with 3 ht leaders and 4 teams about 5 points under the limit. As for the points limit and team building, I would say 80% of the riders know where they will be next season and at least 10% will be pretty sure, leaving around 9 riders sweating.

3 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

Be Lawson. Can't see Pickering at Poole imo. A lot of travelling from Yorkshire and back. If I remember correctly Dougie nearly came to Poole when he left Leicester and was looking for midweek team but then Lawson made himself available. Well that is what the rumour was anyway. 

Made a massive mistake there then, Douglas far superior 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, phillipsr said:

Made a massive mistake there then, Douglas far superior 

Doesn't seem to end the season like he's making plans for the next either

4 hours ago, scunny1 said:

That's it keep up your daily average!!!! Definitely OCD on this forum. If you don't like people to see how many posts you have, then edit your profile:rolleyes:

Not bothered. Just amused by why you are fascinated by the numbers. Is it because you still can't back up your original point? :unsure: